P1000 Trailering Long Distance - Tips, Tricks and other useful suggestions

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the above is great advice. Tie everything down tight and use backup straps for extra security. Check it at every gas stop. I load up and go and just pack it all on.

There is a pioneer, 4 kayaks, 6 five gallon fuel cans, 15 gallons of water, fold out chairs, and a tailgate propane grill on my trailer :p

20230814 164055

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
First, work smarter not harder and dont overthink it.

Just strap it down tight anyway you see fit and check your tension every time you stop for gas or take a crap.
Ive open trailered my P1 alot of thousands of miles since 16’. You dont need to remover everything, just anything soft fabric and loose id recommend like doors, and rear panel. The soft mid panel will be fine if u have some sort of windshield. As for tie downs, E trac is the way to go or the cheeper way the Ericson system I had for many years and still used my trailer for multiple things. You can use regular heavy ratchet straps also as I still do on occasion depending the trailer. Just depends how deep your pockets are and how much time you have to install before your trip.
Most importantly, Don't forget your Passport to get back into Kalifornia when u go back ;)

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
These are all great tips but the bestest mre quickest whey is to just drive that buggy all the whey up front on the trailer and slap one of these bad boys behind the wheels 😉 ain't going nowhere!!!! 😂😂😂 right @CumminsPusher ?.....

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
These are all great tips but the bestest mre quickest whey is to just drive that buggy all the whey up front on the trailer and slap one of these bad boys behind the wheels 😉 ain't going nowhere!!!! 😂😂😂 right @CumminsPusher ?.....
View attachment 402444
I don't know if there is an inside joke here or what, but if you do this, be sure to check tongue weight if you push your buggy all the way to the front of the trailer. Otherwise, bad things can happen.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lots of good advice here on trailering your machine, whatever method you decide to tie it down with just don't cheap out on the tie downs ......... make sure there rated for your application plus some. A $20,000 machine tied down with $20.00 straps is a recipe for disaster .......

Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lots of good advice here on trailering your machine, whatever method you decide to tie it down with just don't cheap out on the tie downs ......... make sure they’re rated for your application plus some. A $20,000 machine tied down with $20.00 straps is a recipe for disaster .......
Your Nailed it, you get what you pay for and I have good tie down straps. There is a lot of cheap junk out there! I am going with tire bonnets now. Same thing, get good ones.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you plan on staying overnight at a hotel with an open trailer, I would suggest some type of chain/lock or cable/lock for the buggy.
A chain or lock for the buggy and make sure your trailer is locked to your vehicle.
I use an 8 foot length of Pewag 1/2" square chain and an Abus insurance lock.
If someone steals it, they were serious and I was going to lose it anyway.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve started to sour on the tire lassos for UTVs. They work good on cars and trucks, but dang it, they always loosen up for me on big squishy tires like what an ATV or UTV has.

The last trip with them it was bad enough that I got pissed off ,after the 3rd stop in 20 mi, and tore them off and resorted to pulling down the suspension with the winch hard and tying off the front bumper with a pair of 2” straps. And doing the same to the rear hitch.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lots of good advice here on trailering your machine, whatever method you decide to tie it down with just don't cheap out on the tie downs ......... make sure they’re rated for your application plus some. A $20,000 machine tied down with $20.00 straps is a recipe for disaster .......
I’ll take my chances with $20 straps correctly used vs expensive straps incorrectly used.

I see it all the time 1 inch deck screws holding down etrack to a wood board that only has 3-4 self tapping deck screws in the entire board holding the board to the trailer…..IE really, really fancy skis for the UTV.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!