P1000 Trailering Long Distance - Tips, Tricks and other useful suggestions

Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking at a trip where I will be trailering my P1000 Trail Edition for nearly 2000 miles round trip on and a flat open trailer . I am looking for tips and lessons learned on what to do and what not to do.
  • Windshield, doors, mid panel - Do and Do Not Things to consider
  • Tie downs best solutions or practices.
  • E-Track Yes or no?
  • Best things to bring
  • Best things to leave at home
  • Miscellaneous Knowledge sharing

Reactions: TxDoc and Scoop
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like e track and tire bonnets.

IMG 6772

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
^^ This all day. And eTrack over the small Erickson mounts if you ever want to use your trailer for things other than the Pioneer.

Windshield down/closed. Don't load the buggy backwards with just a windshield.

Can't speak to the mid panel (assuming soft) or doors.

Check your trailer spare tire (condition/pressure/etc.). Grease trailer bearings. Have a jack and lug wrench for the trailer wheels, as well as basic tools in sizes for a quick trailer repair.

Don't overload the trailer nor exceed truck towing and hauling capacities. Make sure weight is distributed correct on the trailer, including correct tongue weight.

Don't get complacent while driving. Stop and stretch often.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Erickson wheel nets from etrailer.com

For the eTrack: Galvanized eTrack and hardware (combo of nut/washer/bolt and lag screws, all galvanized) from USCargoControl.com

Here's what I ordered for a 12' open trailer. Most holes have a screw or nut/bolt in it (likely overkill). Installed the 8' sections, then cut the 5' sections down to accommodate the length of the wood deck, including leaving room for the eTrack plastic end caps.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rhino wheel chocks for UTV
They were just 25% off, so I bought 2 sets.

I have these in my cargo trailer, mounted so they can be removed and a button head remains, as they are anchored underneath to 3" flat bar, with heavy rivnuts.
I wanted to be able to remove as needed.

I have the Erickson setup on a couple other flat beds and they to work well, too.
I've found this to be the best and most trouble free way to tie my wheeler down.
Dirtstiff Pro tip: watch the front of your Honda top in the hot sun, while towing over 70..
20190427 134044

Last edited:
Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
^^ This all day. And eTrack over the small Erickson mounts if you ever want to use your trailer for things other than the Pioneer.

Windshield down/closed. Don't load the buggy backwards with just a windshield.

Can't speak to the mid panel (assuming soft) or doors.

Check your trailer spare tire (condition/pressure/etc.). Grease trailer bearings. Have a jack and lug wrench for the trailer wheels, as well as basic tools in sizes for a quick trailer repair.

Don't overload the trailer nor exceed truck towing and hauling capacities. Make sure weight is distributed correct on the trailer, including correct tongue weight.

Don't get complacent while driving. Stop and stretch often.
Scoop - Great list in line with what I have, only thing I have left is to grease the bearings. And remembering to rest & stretch often. I am bringing my power 1/2 drive impact wrench and tire inflator too! The doors and mid panel are soft. Going to keep speeds around 65.

Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Erickson wheel nets from etrailer.com

View attachment 402287

For the eTrack: Galvanized eTrack and hardware (combo of nut/washer/bolt and lag screws, all galvanized) from USCargoControl.com

Here's what I ordered for a 12' open trailer. Most holes have a screw or nut/bolt in it (likely overkill). Installed the 8' sections, then cut the 5' sections down to accommodate the length of the wood deck, including leaving room for the eTrack plastic end caps.

View attachment 402286
That is the list I need, I am going to add e track to the trailer, I like the options and tire bonnets for a better sense of security on the tie down!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Oh ... check your straps each time you stop.

Also, once you have them set up on the wheels, mark them (Sharpie) LF, RF, LR, and RR. That way, you don't have to re-adjust them if you happen to put them on different sides or front/back.

Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rhino wheel chocks for UTV
They were just 25% off, so I bought 2 sets.

I have these in my cargo trailer, mounted so they can be removed and a button head remains, as they are anchored underneath to 3" flat bar, with heavy rivnuts.
I wanted to be able to remove as needed.

I have the Erickson setup on a couple other flat beds and they to work well, too.
I've found this to be the best and most trouble free way to tie my wheeler down.
Dirtstiff Pro tip: watch the front of your Honda top in the hot sun, while towing over 70..
View attachment 402288
I will keep an eye on the top but I am hoping the sun not to hot, did you have an issue?

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The above is good information.
I chose not to use e-tracs because I haul other things and wanted to keep the trailer bed smooth and flat (no, can't countersink on the aluminum deck and wood will just sit and rot in snow and water all winter).

With ratchet straps, find tie downs on the outside of the a-arms low below the suspension. Try to have the straps come in at a flat angle, not straight up and down.
I've seen some tie jobs that had the machine's suspension bouncing straight up and down against the strap on the front bumper and trailer tie point. Not good.

Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I chose not to use e-tracs because I haul other things and wanted to keep the trailer bed smooth and flat (no, can't countersink on the aluminum deck and wood will just sit and rot in snow and water all winter).

With ratchet straps, find tie downs on the outside of the a-arms low below the suspension. Try to have the straps come in at a flat angle, not straight up and down.
I've seen some tie jobs that had the machine's suspension bouncing straight up and down against the strap on the front bumper and trailer tie point. Not good.
I am in 100% agreement with you on the front bumper and or the trailer point. I am leaning towards tire bonnets! I have seen several where the suspension load is too much to keep the UTV tight and or they bounce and the straps work loose. I too like the bed smooth but I also haul motorcycles and the e trac would work well for that. Plus I do have a wood platform and between the sealant and a tarp it keeps it dry in the wet season when not in use(for my setup). Again more good info and experience. Thank you!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
While all the above is great information, let's not forget what sucks. Flat tires or wheel bearings going out on a trip.

If your trailer tire are 3 years old + and sit outside in the sun you should seriously consider replacing them. Especially if they are. OEM China bombs that manufactures typically use as the cheapest cost to them.

Wheel bearings make sure they are well greased, no play or properly roll smoothly.

Nothing worse than being 500 miles from your destination on the side of the Interstate with a busted trailer.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

I agree that you don't want to pull the suspension down, none at all, it needs to work with the trailer's suspension. I also don't care for the E-track standing proud of the surface. I do need quite a bit of fore/aft adjustment between fully loaded for trips or mostly empty for day rides. This is where I've ended up. The biggest problem is that the axle strap D-ring buckles won't fit through many stock wheels.

I like the individual tire bonnets but didn't know about them before I came up with the ideas below which have worked well for many thousands of miles. I'd also need several tie down locations without E-tracks. Yes, doable but I'm happy with this.

Rear, forward for day rides and no fuel load up front.
I CH4kNnF X2

Rear, full fuel load up front -
I qV7frWw X2

Front with no fuel. Also note that I'm tied high on the trailer, almost parallel with A-arm location, so no downward pull on the suspension. I'm also as close to the tire as possible so less suspension movement on the straps. The tails get run through the bumper, they don't ride on the spare.
I dKVTVbh X2

With fuel -
I n3NNJv5 X2

I kfKrkPV X2

There's no fuel where I ride, I have to carry it with me -
I f8vLC67 X2

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
While all the above is great information, let's not forget what sucks. Flat tires or wheel bearings going out on a trip.

If your trailer tire are 3 years old + and sit outside in the sun you should seriously consider replacing them. Especially if they are. OEM China bombs that manufactures typically use as the cheapest cost to them.

Wheel bearings make sure they are well greased, no play or properly roll smoothly.

Nothing worse than being 500 miles from your destination on the side of the Interstate with a busted trailer.
My daughter competed horses and we had 2 rigs hauling horses constantly, sometimes long distances. I've owned a construction company and currently sell equipment. I've had lots of experience hauling live and heavy loads. Anytime I buy a trailer, the first thing I do is either purchase one with adequate tie down points or add for the load you plan to haul. Tires are extremely important considering load range, dates and anything but Chinese crap. As I understand, Goodyear has the only range of trailer tires produced in the USA. Over the years I've experienced numerous tire failures, and always s***ty tires were the culprit. Usually a sidewall failure. So many overlook all of the simplest things which most certainly rear its' head when you least expect trouble. I'm amazed how many don't think about hitch drop?

Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that you don't want to pull the suspension down, none at all, it needs to work with the trailer's suspension. I also don't care for the E-track standing proud of the surface. I do need quite a bit of fore/aft adjustment between fully loaded for trips or mostly empty for day rides. This is where I've ended up. The biggest problem is that the axle strap D-ring buckles won't fit through many stock wheels.

I like the individual tire bonnets but didn't know about them before I came up with the ideas below which have worked well for many thousands of miles. I'd also need several tie down locations without E-tracks. Yes, doable but I'm happy with this.

Rear, forward for day rides and no fuel load up front.
View attachment 402298

Rear, full fuel load up front -
View attachment 402299

Front with no fuel. Also note that I'm tied high on the trailer, almost parallel with A-arm location, so no downward pull on the suspension. I'm also as close to the tire as possible so less suspension movement on the straps. The tails get run through the bumper, they don't ride on the spare.
View attachment 402300

With fuel -
View attachment 402301

View attachment 402302

There's no fuel where I ride, I have to carry it with me -
View attachment 402303
That is making a solution that works, and getting the most out of the space you have. I have ridden is some remote high desert areas and there is no fuel or water near by (like within two hours plus drive). I like the concept of thought the rim ties!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will keep an eye on the top but I am hoping the sun not to hot, did you have an issue?
We trailer the wheelers a lot from western Oregoneifornia to Wyoming and Montana. Going, we always have a tail wind. Coming back through the Columbia Gorge, we always have a fierce headwind. One trip with over a hundred degrees outside, I looked in the mirror at 75 only to notice the point of my top bending upward from the wind and heat...
Added flat bar, a clamp, bolt and rivnut to hold the nose down.
Bought a cargo trailer since then...
20220416 131707

Last edited:
Hogwild

Hogwild

Sep 21, 2022
Nor cal
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We trailer the wheelers a lot from western Oregoneifornia to Wyoming and Montana. Going, we always have a tail wind. Coming back through the Columbia Gorge, we always have a fierce headwind. One trip with over a hundred degrees outside, I looked in the mirror at 75 only to notice the point of my top bending upward from the wind and heat...
Added flat bar, a clamp, bolt and rivnut to hold the nose down.
Bought a cargo trailer since then...
View attachment 402305
Thanks a picture says all! Nice fix!

Reactions: Robobrainiac

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!