Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I’ve started to sour on the tire lassos for UTVs. They work good on cars and trucks, but dang it, they always loosen up for me on big squishy tires like what an ATV or UTV has.

The last trip with them it was bad enough that I got pissed off ,after the 3rd stop in 20 mi, and tore them off and resorted to pulling down the suspension with the winch hard and tying off the front bumper with a pair of 2” straps. And doing the same to the rear hitch.
I don't know if Erickson products are made in China like the Vulcan products you linked to are, but I have never had any issues with my Erickson wheel bonnets.

I *believe* the Erickson bonnets are produced here in the US, just north of Detroit (Marine City, MI).

EDIT: I stand corrected. I reached out to Erickson. They do have these produced in China. Is there ANYTHING not produced in @#$% China these days? Gheesh! Well, must be the *better* part of China ... LOL ... J/K.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I’ll take my chances with $20 straps correctly used vs expensive straps incorrectly used.

I see it all the time 1 inch deck screws holding down etrack to a wood board that only has 3-4 self tapping deck screws in the entire board holding the board to the trailer…..IE really, really fancy skis for the UTV.
Agreed. But I also don't blame the product if/when it is improperly installed. That's like blaming Snap-On Tools for making a bad wrench when someone uses it as a hammer.

Personally, I use better made products AND install them correctly.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ve started to sour on the tire lassos for UTVs. They work good on cars and trucks, but dang it, they always loosen up for me on big squishy tires like what an ATV or UTV has.

The last trip with them it was bad enough that I got pissed off ,after the 3rd stop in 20 mi, and tore them off and resorted to pulling down the suspension with the winch hard and tying off the front bumper with a pair of 2” straps. And doing the same to the rear hitch.
Snowmobiling - the front is easy, a bar across the skis holds pretty well but that left the back end free - so we used to cinch down to the rear bumper, as tight as we could. Until I followed a buddy out of the parking lot and watched the rear suspension compress even further and rebound against the now loose strap - WHAM!!!

No matter how tight you pull it down, it's going to compress even further on the smallest of bumps and the rebound against the tie down (strap or winch) is going to be brutal. For the sleds, I made short chains we put thru the rear suspension (unsuspended), drove forward (inches) to tighten them up and then clamped the skis.

Trying to pull the suspension down further than it's ever going to travel is an exercise in futility.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Trying to pull the suspension down further than it's ever going to travel is an exercise in futility.
Trailered many a road bike in my days (on trailers, in the back of pickup trucks, etc.). Everyone always starts by compressing the suspension ... until the inevitable happens. It might take 1 trip or 25 trips, but it happens. Then they start strapping and/or chocking the WHEELS/TIRES down. That's not to say fighting the suspension is impossible -- I know many swear by it. But I've seen far too many incidents where it's worked out bad. No thank you, sir. I'll pass.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like my Viper alarm in addition to the lock chains and cables. You can add a louder siren to the kit.

If you plan on staying overnight at a hotel with an open trailer, I would suggest some type of chain/lock or cable/lock for the buggy.

A chain or lock for the buggy and make sure your trailer is locked to your vehicle.
I use an 8 foot length of Pewag 1/2" square chain and an Abus insurance lock.
If someone steals it, they were serious and I was going to lose it anyway.

Reactions: EMAW and CID
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have never had my Mac's Wheel Bonnets come loose. I have at least 1500 miles on them and have never had a problem. The were far from cheap and seem way over built but they work very well.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Trailered many a road bike in my days (on trailers, in the back of pickup trucks, etc.). Everyone always starts by compressing the suspension ... until the inevitable happens. It might take 1 trip or 25 trips, but it happens. Then they start strapping and/or chocking the WHEELS/TIRES down. That's not to say fighting the suspension is impossible -- I know many swear by it. But I've seen far too many incidents where it's worked out bad. No thank you, sir. I'll pass.
Because a lot of guys here also ride motorcycles, I was always chasing a way to secure the rear wheel on a motorcycle trailer or hitch carrier. I finally came up with these ideas. I found the wingnuts would loosen on long trips so I secured them with a bungee.
I GwSSvCp X2

The 1/4" bolt holds this to the narrow ramp, both eye bolts are outside of the tire channel. I don't like standard wing nuts, I want more thread surface area for something that's always getting reused. Since this was for the back of my motorhome with lots of hangover, the rear drug frequently so I couldn't have the wingnut hanging down, this is how I got it up higher. I was ER70S-2 on another site, these aren't pirated photos.
I JvkfdXg X2

On a wider aluminum rail -
I B92Pjhr X2

The right eyebolt is threaded into the alum and secured with a locknut -
I mfPP9TL X2

After finding the front tire trying to escape ...
I 3CHpBHJ X2

I added one to the front. All homemade wingnuts allow the eyebolt to pass through if necessary.
I g8DnqND X2

I don't remember why I had to move one eyebolt outside the rail but this is how I did that using 1/4" strap -
I tPTN2kM X2

No matter how hard I tried, the strap always found a way to loosen up. Also showing drag damage -
I 8Q5VWrc X2

The front always got double strapped and bungied midway to the footpeg to handle the inevitable slack.
I wQPvw9k X2

Look closely and you can see the bungy cord, mid strap, running back to the footpeg -
I wbsGWcS X2

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have never had my Mac's Wheel Bonnets come loose. I have at least 1500 miles on them and have never had a problem. The were far from cheap and seem way over built but they work very well.
I think the issue with mine is that there is only one anchor point that relies on the air pressure of the tire to maintain its bite on the wheel. The tire is just too compressible and the strap works itself loose as the buggy jumps up and down.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I consider my p5 to be free-range, so I don't like to tie it down in one spot. That said, I pull mine onto my 7x12 utility trailer with 2ft walls and just leave it in neutral so that it may roam where it pleases. I find it to be much happier when we reach our destination.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I see it all the time 1 inch deck screws holding down etrack to a wood board that only has 3-4 self tapping deck screws in the entire board holding the board to the trailer…..IE really, really fancy skis for the UTV.
My deck boards are all thru-bolted to the trailer crossmembers. My eTrack has a boatload of screws and bolts. The silver ones are lag bolts while the darker ones are galvanized bolts, nuts, and washers.

20230912 105510

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I consider my p5 to be free-range, so I don't like to tie it down in one spot. That said, I pull mine onto my 7x12 utility trailer with 2ft walls and just leave it in neutral so that it may roam where it pleases. I find it to be much happier when we reach our destination.
I think I saw your P5 on the side of the road. Off Rte 1. Near a lighthouse. It looked happy.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My deck boards are all thru-bolted to the trailer crossmembers. My eTrack has a boatload of screws and bolts. The silver ones are lag bolts while the darker ones are galvanized bolts, nuts, and washers.

View attachment 402706
when I still had my enclosed trailer I used etrack installed in a similar fashion. I took it a step further and installed 1” coated deck screws in the remaining holes…mostly because I had them already and that I had coated the floor with gray deck paint with grit mixed in.

You could really crank on that etrack and it wouldn’t budge. Several times I had to use it as a winch point to bring in my dead SXS as I had nothing else inside the trailer to use.

On my 10’ open trailer I might have to go back to etrack for the P1k5 and over the tire straps.

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
that will suck for you when in a collision she decides to "free range" into your vehicle or launches into oncoming traffic... strap the old girl in. let her roam free when she won't kill anyone.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ll take my chances with $20 straps correctly used vs expensive straps incorrectly used.

I get what your saying for sure ........My only point was don't let your straps be the weak link ...

Reactions: Smitty335
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
that will suck for you when in a collision she decides to "free range" into your vehicle or launches into oncoming traffic... strap the old girl in. let her roam free when she won't kill anyone.
She's already killed a few people. A couple more won't hurt.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!