P700 Blue/gray smoke

O

Okieriverrat

Sep 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2016 700 starting blowing blueish gray smoke and smells like its running super rich I did find a bad exhaust leak at the flange before the O2 sensor and i just found out today i have two spark plugs dealer told me only one when i purchased smh thanks in advanced

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 2016 700 starting blowing blueish gray smoke and smells like its running super rich I did find a bad exhaust leak at the flange before the O2 sensor and i just found out today i have two spark plugs dealer told me only one when i purchased smh thanks in advanced
An exhaust leak can cause the O2 to read a false lean condition and richen up the mixture. There can be negative pressure in the exhaust system (esp on a big single), and this will pull in oxygen rich outside air at any leak location.
IMO, the location of the O2 on the 700 is just begging for this to happen, since it sits right behind a joint that has been known to be leak prone.(Or as i really want to say, whoever put the O2 there was stupid...)

Probably a cost cutting measure, since the rear half of the pipe already had to be re-tooled for the cat anyway.

Reactions: Okieriverrat
O

Okieriverrat

Sep 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
I looked at everything closer last night and around the leak area it has everything covered in black soot from running to rich the smoke could be thinned out to appear grayish from the leak or in the land of fairy tales this makes perfect sense is there a way to patch the leaking joint or is it just replace the whole system?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I looked at everything closer last night and around the leak area it has everything covered in black soot from running to rich the smoke could be thinned out to appear grayish from the leak or in the land of fairy tales this makes perfect sense is there a way to patch the leaking joint or is it just replace the whole system?
To be sure, were talking about the joint between the 2 sections of pipe ( NOT the one up at the head )? There is a round graphite looking gasket that slips over one section, while the other slides over it and clamps down.
The issue is that a lot of people have had multiple repeat failures at this joint. One guy said his dealer told him that if ridden In deep water often, the pipe warps. Do you do that type of riding?

O

Okieriverrat

Sep 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
To be sure, were talking about the joint between the 2 sections of pipe ( NOT the one up at the head )? There is a round graphite looking gasket that slips over one section, while the other slides over it and clamps down.
The issue is that a lot of people have had multiple repeat failures at this joint. One guy said his dealer told him that if ridden In deep water often, the pipe warps. Do you do that type of riding?

Yes i do alot of river riding from end of july till sept. Im am wondering if i have got water intrusion into the o2 sensor