BOX1

P700 White smoke and loss of power

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What valve spring tool would you recommend?

Would this would work?

Yea that should work

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok, I think I have a gameplan. I am going to order a new piston and replace the valve stem seals and all the gaskets. Then pray like hell that the one of those was the problem.

Thats usually my game plan. I'm usually wrong.Hope your luck is better!!

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does anyone know if the standard bore size is 101.97 mm? I'm assuming it is, but didn't want to order the wrong part. Also, does anyone have any experience with Namura? That's what I see come up the most from my search for top end rebuild kits.

G

Gentleben

Jan 15, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Pretty good read. Looks like I’m in the same boat. I figured mine had something wrong. Spark plugs were wet and fouled to the point of not starting. Once I clean the plugs it fires right up. Compression on mine after it’s warmed is about 60 psi. I went to borescope but the camera was to big, But I could definitely tell the cylinder is wet.

E51A9731 8073 4E5D B6FC 83337995934C

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Pretty good read. Looks like I’m in the same boat. I figured mine had something wrong. Spark plugs were wet and fouled to the point of not starting. Once I clean the plugs it fires right up. Compression on mine after it’s warmed is about 60 psi. I went to borescope but the camera was to big, But I could definitely tell the cylinder is wet.

View attachment 249208
How many miles?

Reactions: Mudwing
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think u stated that the cylinder walls have scaring on them. if the cylinder wall is scared up new rings is only gonna last couple hundred before it starts smoking again. Having a cylinder bored is cheap and a 30 over piston is no more expensive than a standard piston. Don't use a ching Chong piston off ebay the rings will not last.

J

joec1056

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I think I may have fixed the issue. The valves were caked in burnt oil(picture attached) below the seals which leads me to believe I had bad valve seals. There was so much black crap on there that I don’t think the valves were fully seating allowing oil to enter the jug and exhaust. So I honed the jug, replaced the piston and rings, put new valve seals, and all new gaskets. So far so good! A little smoke when I fired it back up from the oil I coated everything in, but after a few minutes it went away. Let’s hope it holds!

BTW, this is the first time I’ve ever opened an engine up, so I took my time and leaned on some friends to guide me through. Really nerve racking, but fun at the same time!

87BF9941 E7D7 47CD 965A 7D0E9BB8FB4F

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I think I may have fixed the issue. The valves were caked in burnt oil(picture attached) below the seals which leads me to believe I had bad valve seals. There was so much black crap on there that I don’t think the valves were fully seating allowing oil to enter the jug and exhaust. So I honed the jug, replaced the piston and rings, put new valve seals, and all new gaskets. So far so good! A little smoke when I fired it back up from the oil I coated everything in, but after a few minutes it went away. Let’s hope it holds!

BTW, this is the first time I’ve ever opened an engine up, so I took my time and leaned on some friends to guide me through. Really nerve racking, but fun at the same time!

View attachment 251363
Fingers crossed for you

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 251363
Nice work. 😎 Keep us posted. 😉

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nothing but good news so far. Ran it for about 45 minutes last night and it didn't smoke at all! I got some advice from a buddy that I should run some heavy rpms for a bit and then let the side by side sit for a while and cool off to make sure that the rings seat. Should I do that?
I’m not sure about the cooling off part but I would check the manual about how to break in new rings. Some guys do run them hard to seat the rings. I just drive it like I stole it. 😎🤣

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still no smoke! Now I'm dealing with the skid plate bolt holes being full of dirt... Pain! And I broke a bolt in one of the holes... Fun times!
That's good news on the motor. Skid bolts...that's always a PITA.

Reactions: SWB and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!