P500 Boring....

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was talking to a friend of mine at work about my interest in the p500. He said seems like it would get boring fast since it has lower power and low top speed. So do any of u feel bored with your p500 over time? Also he suggested the Yamaha wolverine, looks nice but they r thousands more and I think I can't spend too much.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I was talking to a friend of mine at work about my interest in the p500. He said seems like it would get boring fast since it has lower power and low top speed. So do any of u feel bored with your p500 over time? Also he suggested the Yamaha wolverine, looks nice but they r thousands more and I think I can't spend too much.
I bought a p500 back in September.. by November I had a 1000-5

Reactions: swsebek and sharp
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on your intended use. If you want to go fast, jump the machine, hill-climb etc then a P500 probably isn't for you. If you want to go hunting, negotiate tighter trails, do some camping, work around your acreage, or take momma out for a ride then the P500 is the answer.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, whats your intended use? The 500 is more of a utility style machine that can go on tight trails. If you are looking for a sport machine Honda just doesnt have one right now... maybe soon.

Reactions: trigger and swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
yep listen to your friend...he knows you better then anyone here....

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The occasional dirt road is the only time I honestly wish it had more speed. The sportier machines break more, which leads to less boredom I guess.
Yep, it's small, slow and ugly but out in the middle of nowhere and by myself, I'd take this sxs over ANY other on the market. FWIW.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Depends on your intended use. If you want to go fast, jump the machine, hill-climb etc then a P500 probably isn't for you. If you want to go hunting, negotiate tighter trails, do some camping, work around your acreage, or take momma out for a ride then the P500 is the answer.
Spot on comment. Would only add: If having a dependable machine without worries of breaking down or frequent maintenance, the P500 is a great choice. Never bored with paddle shifting if you want to push it hard on trails. IMO.

R

Rustell

"Riding a "Slow" machine "Fast" is way more fun than riding a "Fast" machine "Slow"

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Suggest you check out the real use You-tube videos on all the machines you are considering. Comes down to on how and where you want to use it. For me, the local trails are restricted to 50 inches, and having owned so many Hondas over 40 years with good experience, the choice was easy and saved some money to buy add ons. 27s really improved the ride and traction.

View attachment 40282

Last edited:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't buy my P500 based on price I wanted a 50inch machine it just so happens it was a good price too. The things I took into consideration when buying it was the 50" width, manual transmission with real engine braking and how easily my dad could get in and out. Top speed was a consideration but it didn't out weigh the other factors for me. I ride tight trails in WV and the machine is perfect for what I do. If I am running a lot of gravel roads I wouldn't mind a little more top speed but that's a minimal amount of my riding. Last weekend I put 125 miles on my P500 riding with a 500 ranger and 1000 General. except for the open roads I stayed right on the Generals bumper and I had to pull the 500 ranger out of a river crossing when he flooded his belt housing. If I wanted a fast machine and plan to jump over stuff or if I didn't want a 50" machine I would save my money a little longer and get what fits my needs. And to answer your question I don't think I will get bored with the P500 because it fits my needs.

advertisement
RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
Got to add that the p500 is gear driven, no belts to slip and burn up when you need it most.The ability to maintain control of speed on steep trails in lower gears adds to safety while in the hills. Had mine about 2 years and wouldn't have anything else with the type of trail riding i do. Great little machine.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
There you have it..... Now go test drive one and that's the only way you will really know

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If you test drive a (2017 Auto) one, be aware that it will likely shift hard, but that gets better when broken in. Many posts on that.

Reactions: TXBubba and JTW
SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I live in Alaska on the Kenai peninsula so no 50" restrictions. Money is the main restriction. I like the features of it, gear box, no problem with 27s from what I've read. Honda quality. Main focus is to strap my fast growing autistic son into a seat. It would be fun to go fast and soak up some bumps. But I do like to go slow and be technical. I need to do some test drives for sure.

Reactions: Plumber32
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
For my needs, perfect machine. I don't want to go fast and I like the size.

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
39mph limit will seem fast after a 2 week hitch at work. I'm only allowed to go 35 at work.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like all those Alaska shows, a trip is on my bucket list. Mountain ranges, lakes, etc.

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I mainly ride in the woods so 42 is plenty fast enough and a lot of hills so the compression braking is great. Also have a Kawasaki mule and I get tired of standing on the brakes going down hill and replacing brake pads. On open terrain I love driving my buddies RZR 900 but in the woods he is slower than me. I wanted to be able to use my ATV trails and be nimble in the woods and be able to strap stuff on the back that you cant on a RZR. Also I have owned Kawasaki, Polaris, Arctic Cat and Honda and now I only buy Honda. Honda is not the fastest or coolest looking but it works and works and works.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!