P500 Boring....

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone remember the original GSXR suzuki in the 80's they supposedly had a limited out put in first and second gear but if you cut a certain pink wire it would give full power. I wonder if I should try cutting all the pink wires on my machine. Lol

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
There has been much discussion on the top speed of the P5 so here is my take on it. The other day I got my up to just 41 and it kicked back the speed instantly to 40 them 39. I run up the speed again, same thing but I also watched my GPS and it read 38.6 and I had excellent coverage from satellites at the time so accuracy was very good, so I think a top speed to 39 is accurate.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
There has been much discussion on the top speed of the P5 so here is my take on it. The other day I got my up to just 41 and it kicked back the speed instantly to 40 them 39. I run up the speed again, same thing but I also watched my GPS and it read 38.6 and I had excellent coverage from satellites at the time so accuracy was very good, so I think a top speed to 39 is accurate.

What wheel and tire set up are you running?

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I should say that I own a 2000 Honda recon. Some may say that's a boring machine. I enjoy it a lot. Still dreaming of getting a p500!

Reactions: trigger and lee
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I should say that I own a 2000 Honda recon. Some may say that's a boring machine. I enjoy it a lot. Still dreaming of getting a p500!
There is no such thing as a boring off road vehicle, some just have more of a WOW and PUCKER factor.

Reactions: trigger and AlR
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Dreaming

Abit of dreaming is good. Once I got on this blog I relented and bought the P500. Now I'm dreaming more!
Al

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500

I like small machines too. I remember when the 300 honda 4x4 first came out and I thought it was huge! But I think thats a great size machie. I have ridden a few recons too and they are fun. I never wanted a sxs until I found the P5 and at first sight I thought it was a perfect machine for me. I had a honda 125 fourtracks when I was a kid and rode that thing until I graduated high school and moved away from home. I remember taking that thing places that my friends 225 moto4 and 350 big bear would get stuck and always had a smile on my face. unless I lived near the desert or ran at high speed alot I cant imagine getting tired of my P5 anytime soon.

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I like to follow my father in law on his Kingquad 500. Makes for a good challenge. When I get stuck it's not hard to pull out by hand. I just put mud kites on the rear of it and that's a major improvement. I can see enjoying the p500 for a long time.

advertisement
Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I live in Wasilla and hunt north of Fairbanks with my P500. I have never found it boring and the reliability is huge for me. I replaced the the tires first thing and I have only been stuck once and that was my own stupidity (fell through ice into about 2.5 feet of water).
I ride mostly back country trails for hunting so my top speed almost never reached above 25-30 and that pushing it. This little machine is a workhorse I hauled out an my entire moose this year in one load, no trailer I followed him 2 miles off the trail and my buddies could not find me in the brush so I quartered it out loaded up and drove out. Front tires almost came off the ground with every bump but she chugged right along. 2 miles of thick brush to the trail and 16 miles back to camp.
So like everyone has said it really depends on your riding style and needs. For me the P500 is perfect.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like the story from Akfishbum, Dependability of a machine to get you back out of the woods is an important factor to consider when buying, don't want to have Search & Rescue to find you, ...stuff happens. From a retired Emergency Responder/Rescue Squad.

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

Well, I will not argue the 500 is a more reliable machine if all things are equal... but when your in a bad spot the 500 just can't hang with a 1000. To me it just depends where and what you're going to really be doing with the machine. Ask some of the guys that rode this weekend with 500's in the 1000 groups. They're just not made for the same things.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I will not argue the 500 is a more reliable machine if all things are equal... but when your in a bad spot the 500 just can't hang with a 1000. To me it just depends where and what you're going to really be doing with the machine. Ask some of the guys that rode this weekend with 500's in the 1000 groups. They're just not made for the same things.

I agree, they are totally set up different machines. Sometimes you have no choice but to take the wasted rutted out trail and the P1's are much better equipped to handle that situation. A lot of the time, I find a way to sneak around those treacherous spots on a skinny high bank or through the woods where a P1 couldn't follow. Neither should be expected to always follow the same track as the other.

Reactions: JTW
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I love my P5, and will probably keep it for quite a while. BUT after riding in and with a couple 1000s this weekend. I would love to have a 1000. Its just not in the cards for me right now so I'm gonna keep the 500, and I'm happy with that. Its been a great machine. Now If it only had a front diff lock!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I love my P5, and will probably keep it for quite a while. BUT after riding in and with a couple 1000s this weekend. I would love to have a 1000. Its just not in the cards for me right now so I'm gonna keep the 500, and I'm happy with that. Its been a great machine. Now If it only had a front diff lock!

Yep, an open front diff really kills its momentum when a wheel gets off the ground, which is pretty easy with the limited travel suspension. If someone would ever make a locker for the front it would do much better in those off camber situations.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yep, my dependability comment was towards Honda products, based on decades of owning Polaris and Honda machines. Never been broke down on a Honda, street or dirt. The 1000 does look nice, but with 50 in. Restrictions where I ride, no regrets with the P500 so far.

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

Yep, my dependability comment was towards Honda products, based on decades of owning Polaris and Honda machines. Never been broke down on a Honda, street or dirt. The 1000 does look nice, but with 50 in. Restrictions where I ride, no regrets with the P500 so far.
Exactly.. I still really like things about my old p500 but I discover the size wasn't as important to me as I thought it would be. I was going to have as much money in my p5 as I would a p1k5 and it still wouldn't be everything I wanted.

Reactions: Spellmajr
Reddfrogg

Reddfrogg

May 15, 2016
Grand Junction CO
I've owned the P500 for a year now and it's plenty fast for trail riding. Why would you want to go faster and miss the opportunity to see wildlife and the scenery? We've seen deer and pronghorn from our P500 that we might have missed with a faster machine.

J

JTW

I've owned the P500 for a year now and it's plenty fast for trail riding. Why would you want to go faster and miss the opportunity to see wildlife and the scenery? We've seen deer and pronghorn from our P500 that we might have missed with a faster machine.
Lol.. you need a horse then!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!