Brake pads not making full contact on rotor

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Brake pads not making full contact with rotor.
Anyone notice or have had this problem? Noticed other day my front driver rotor only had a 3/4 inch clean spot in center of rotor. Meaning the pads are not making full contact. So I took tire off removed pads and pads had same smooth spot. Other areas where rough. Back side of rotor was similar but different pattern it has two smooth spots. So I buffed off the rotor smooth and lightly cleaned pads with wire wheel. Put back went ride and it seems to be making contact same way. I even rode the brakes to try and smooth them out.
The brakes work fine. Doesn't pull when braking like the right side would be biting harder which is making full comtact on both side of rotor by the way.
I'm stumped haven't seen this before on any automobiles I've worked on. My first atv so im new to working on them. Looks to me like pads are not wearing right. Thought about tring a new set.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Bayouownbeer,
humm... Thats odd. I have seen pads not being level or pistons not pushing evenly causing one sided wear. But never in the center.

I replaced mine and they had even wear through and through.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!