P500 Brake System help

P

pastorbmp

Dec 13, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
First off, I am not a very mechanically inclined guy. Was out riding my P500 today in the woods, and the brakes felt funny and they were "chattering" when I really pushed them hard. We stopped and checked them out. My buddy, who is mechanically inclined, just happened to check the cap on the brake fluid reservoir and it was not tightened down. So, we deduced that there might be air in the brake fluid. We bled the brakes and one of the brake bleeder screws would not release fluid. We took it off and it had some white gunk on it. He thought it might be from water getting in the fluid. We cleaned it, put it back on and bled the brakes a few times. The brakes were much better, but still had a little "chatter" if you really got on them hard.

QUESTION - would you guys recommend replacing the brake fluid by bleeding and replacing - just to make sure there is no water in the fluid? What other suggestions might you have?

The P500 has about 200 miles on it and has been babied - never mudded. But, I do drive on some wet and slightly muddy logging roads.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

If you think the brake fluid is contaminated, then yes ,I would replace it.

I know on my 15 p500 , when going down steep hills and applying the brakes , they will chatter but they are fine any other time!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
First off, I am not a very mechanically inclined guy. Was out riding my P500 today in the woods, and the brakes felt funny and they were "chattering" when I really pushed them hard. We stopped and checked them out. My buddy, who is mechanically inclined, just happened to check the cap on the brake fluid reservoir and it was not tightened down. So, we deduced that there might be air in the brake fluid. We bled the brakes and one of the brake bleeder screws would not release fluid. We took it off and it had some white gunk on it. He thought it might be from water getting in the fluid. We cleaned it, put it back on and bled the brakes a few times. The brakes were much better, but still had a little "chatter" if you really got on them hard.

QUESTION - would you guys recommend replacing the brake fluid by bleeding and replacing - just to make sure there is no water in the fluid? What other suggestions might you have?

The P500 has about 200 miles on it and has been babied - never mudded. But, I do drive on some wet and slightly muddy logging roads.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Take it in for warranty .

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Agree, if under warranty take it in. If not replace fluid and bleed again.

On the chatter mine does that if going down a steep hill and i have to use brakes, especially in 4wd. I don't worry about it because i don't use the brakes a lot, typically just downshift and it only does it on really steep hills.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!