P700m2 Brand New Overheating.

C

Culotta

Sep 6, 2015
I Picked up my 2016 SXS700M2 and drove it around the block. No mud.....no dirt. It overheated every time I slowed down to turn or when I stopped. Brought it home and checked all fluids and oil. All good. Took it out again and same thing. Radiator is clear and fan is working properly. Any ideas??????????????

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I Picked up my 2016 SXS700M2 and drove it around the block. No mud.....no dirt. It overheated every time I slowed down to turn or when I stopped. Brought it home and checked all fluids and oil. All good. Took it out again and same thing. Radiator is clear and fan is working properly. Any ideas??????????????
This has happened to a few people. The culprit has been air trapped in the cooling system. I pulled this quote from another thread-

"Funny with my 700-4, when I went out for the first small ride, my whole family on board, going slow like I ride, I pulled off to the side and the very same thing happened.
I took off to get some air flow in the radiator, cooled it right down. Stopped again same thing. Fan was operating.

Fluids were high, nothing blocking radiator, so I called service manager. He wanted me to bring it in. Living in the boonies, I ask him what it could be, he said radiator might need to be burped.

I pulled the sXs to where the front end was higher than the rear, opened radiator cap let it idle for a while, and sure enough, after a few minutes, it got up to temperature, then burped. Air was trapped in the coolant system. Quite a bit of air, so I was able to add a decent amount of Antifreeze to the radiator when I wasn't able to before the "burp".

400 miles later, it has never moved above the 2nd mark on the temp gauge."

I hope that helps!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks @Tflynn, I too am fairly sure this is the OP's issue.
Seems this is happening more and more on newer units.

Reactions: ohanacreek
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the club @Culotta !! This should be a quick and easy fix!

Reactions: JACKAL
C

Culotta

Sep 6, 2015
This has happened to a few people. The culprit has been air trapped in the cooling system. I pulled this quote from another thread-

"Funny with my 700-4, when I went out for the first small ride, my whole family on board, going slow like I ride, I pulled off to the side and the very same thing happened.
I took off to get some air flow in the radiator, cooled it right down. Stopped again same thing. Fan was operating.

Fluids were high, nothing blocking radiator, so I called service manager. He wanted me to bring it in. Living in the boonies, I ask him what it could be, he said radiator might need to be burped.

I pulled the sXs to where the front end was higher than the rear, opened radiator cap let it idle for a while, and sure enough, after a few minutes, it got up to temperature, then burped. Air was trapped in the coolant system. Quite a bit of air, so I was able to add a decent amount of Antifreeze to the radiator when I wasn't able to before the "burp".

400 miles later, it has never moved above the 2nd mark on the temp gauge."

I hope that helps!
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. All is good now. Hopefully the dealers will check this issue before delivery.

Reactions: bobbyhill
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. All is good now. Hopefully the dealers will check this issue before delivery.
@Culotta, How did you end up getting the air out. Like Tflynn mentioned or another method.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!