S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just ordered the stage 3 trail spec camshaft and upgraded springs from BC. Currently running PPEI tuning, mostly stock everything else. Has anyone tuned for this camshaft yet? I sent Erik at PPEI an email, we'll see if he has anything ready to go or not. Has anyone installed one of these with stock springs? I have the tool for replacing the springs with the head installed, but I don't really want to replace the springs yet because I will be doing pistons and studs in the future, so the head will be coming off to do that at some point.

Hopefully there's gains enough to warrant the camshaft upgrade. Haven't really seen any testing of camshafts, the only ones with any advertised HP gains is Hess, and I've yet to see anyone confirm that (not to bash Hess, they make a GREAT product).

S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
Installing one of their turbo race cams when we get the head back. Titanium retainers, studs and some port balancing. PPEI will be tuning ours as well.
I was going to do the titanium upgrade but they said it wasn't necessary. They even said I could run the cam on stock springs but will be pushing the limits in high rpms.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I could have sold you a brand new Stage 3 cam that I have that I'm not going to use, we ended up going with a custom ground cam from BC instead.

The stage 3 cam isn't going to work all that well with stock compression. Might be a waste of time installing it by itself.

If your looking for pistons I have a pair of Wossners that are NIB that I'm not using.

Link to the stuff I have for sale in case you are interested in any of it.....

Reactions: Robobrainiac
S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I could have sold you a brand new Stage 3 cam that I have that I'm not going to use, we ended up going with a custom ground cam from BC instead.

The stage 3 cam isn't going to work all that well with stock compression. Might be a waste of time installing it by itself.

If your looking for pistons I have a pair of Wossners that are NIB that I'm not using.

Link to the stuff I have for sale in case you are interested in any of it.....

I wish I'd have seen your post before ordering lol. I mean I guess I could still cancel it, hasn't shipped yet.

Should I bother doing the springs at this time? Or wait until I'm ready to do the pistons? I haven't decided what I want to do for pistons yet. I can't have the car apart for more than 2 days at a time until I have a better workspace arrangement.

Whatever pistons I do, it's going to have to run on pump gas.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have to agree with Slowpoke. If you are going to do it bit the bullet and do the whole thing. I have the BC ported head with larger valves. The titanium upgrade is for weight of your valve train. Also went to 11.5 to1 and had Erik at PPEI tuned it with the two O2 sensors added right at the head and of course muffler.We went through 6 different tunes. Yes you never look at what all it cost. It runs so much better did not gain that much more higher RPM it is how fast it gets there. I race on 31" tires and the car has more corner exit than with the 28"s. It tops out at 80ish. Like any motor build the first time you are Wow now it is just the way the is. Dose use more fuel ad a trail tank. Just picked up a second Honda total with 760 miles on it. For a back up car. Running it now and you do not realize just how slow the higher RPMs get till you build up the motor. The front port on the head is really bad as far as flow so that is what you have to fix otherwise more fuel and air won't be able to tell that much. Plus after you get done you do not remember what is was like unless you are racing others. Just thoughts Slowpoke has it right and has done more than most of us will ever do!

S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I do
I have to agree with Slowpoke. If you are going to do it bit the bullet and do the whole thing. I have the BC ported head with larger valves. The titanium upgrade is for weight of your valve train. Also went to 11.5 to1 and had Erik at PPEI tuned it with the two O2 sensors added right at the head and of course muffler.We went through 6 different tunes. Yes you never look at what all it cost. It runs so much better did not gain that much more higher RPM it is how fast it gets there. I race on 31" tires and the car has more corner exit than with the 28"s. It tops out at 80ish. Like any motor build the first time you are Wow now it is just the way the is. Dose use more fuel ad a trail tank. Just picked up a second Honda total with 760 miles on it. For a back up car. Running it now and you do not realize just how slow the higher RPMs get till you build up the motor. The front port on the head is really bad as far as flow so that is what you have to fix otherwise more fuel and air won't be able to tell that much. Plus after you get done you do not remember what is was like unless you are racing others. Just thoughts Slowpoke has it right and has done more than most of us will ever do!

I specifically do not want the titanium retainers because they wear out. BC recommended the steel retainer kit over the titanium because it isn't a race car, and I'm not running high rpm all of the time. Titanium is obviously better for rpm but the steel lasts a lot longer according to BC.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good to know about the steel retainers. I’m also considering the BC turbo camshaft, but wondering how much difference it will actually make. I already have Jackson turbo, 9:1 wiseco pistons, PPEI bigger fuel pump, injectors, and tune, Trinity stage 5 exhaust.

H

HondaTech

I do

I specifically do not want the titanium retainers because they wear out. BC recommended the steel retainer kit over the titanium because it isn't a race car, and I'm not running high rpm all of the time. Titanium is obviously better for rpm but the steel lasts a lot longer according to BC.

You know what's funny about that. My GM finally got his head back and in the car with a BC Camshaft and Titanium retainers.

Afterwards he's talking to another fellow racer and learns BC contacted them and proceeded to say the Titanium retainers arent designed for "his application" and he should run the steel ones.

Funny, BC's own website recommended a spring kit for the cam their both using that includes Titanium retainers. Then trys to cover their ass by back pedaling.

Sounds like they have no idea what their selling or what should be used and where.
Typical customer service from the UTV world.

J

JumptChaneAZ

I'm looking into a head package for my 2021. After looking at all of the stuff that's out there, I'm leaning towards the Kibbelwhite Beehive spring kit and their White Diamond +1 stainless intake valves and their +1 Inconel exhaust valves. They use titanium retainers and I've used their Ti retainers in motorcycle race engines before and never had an issue. Not sure what is going on with BC.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm looking into a head package for my 2021. After looking at all of the stuff that's out there, I'm leaning towards the Kibbelwhite Beehive spring kit and their White Diamond +1 stainless intake valves and their +1 Inconel exhaust valves. They use titanium retainers and I've used their Ti retainers in motorcycle race engines before and never had an issue. Not sure what is going on with BC.
From what I understand, "daily" driving titanium retainers isn't recommended for longevity. How long they actually last I am not sure but it's probably still quite some time. Steel lasts a very long time though.

J

JumptChaneAZ

From what I understand, "daily" driving titanium retainers isn't recommended for longevity. How long they actually last I am not sure but it's probably still quite some time. Steel lasts a very long time though.
If you were seriously concerned with maximum longevity, you probably wouldn't be doing the head in the first place. IMHO, at least. If you wanted the best of both worlds, just cryo treat all of the top end components.

S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you were seriously concerned with maximum longevity, you probably wouldn't be doing the head in the first place. IMHO, at least. If you wanted the best of both worlds, just cryo treat all of the top end components.
I'm not doing the head, only the cam. Just trying to wake up a bit of torque for these big tires lol. I don't want portals.

J

JumptChaneAZ

I'm not doing the head, only the cam. Just trying to wake up a bit of torque for these big tires lol. I don't want portals.
Just take a gander at cryo treating your parts before you install them. I have had really good results with longevity using the process.

S

sHoRtBuSseR

Jul 20, 2021
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just take a gander at cryo treating your parts before you install them. I have had really good results with longevity using the process.
I've done some cryo gears before and they came out great. I'll check it out, thanks.

Reactions: JumptChaneAZ
J

JumptChaneAZ

You guys seem to be hard on s***. When you routinely are in the habit of breaking anvils, it might be time to evaluate what it is that you are doing to destroy everything you touch.

H

HondaTech

You guys seem to be hard on s***. When you routinely are in the habit of breaking anvils, it might be time to evaluate what it is that you are doing to destroy everything you touch.
Just XC racing and we're not the only ones. It's a problem

J

JumptChaneAZ

One thing I've noticed coming from other forms of racing, is that the knowledge base doesn't seem to be as developed in the sxs world. Just looks like a bunch of random dudes just throwing a bunch of s*** at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
One thing I've noticed coming from other forms of racing, is that the knowledge base doesn't seem to be as developed in the sxs world. Just looks like a bunch of random dudes just throwing a bunch of s*** at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Werd

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!