P1000 Brought it home yesterday, so far it hasn't been good.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update for my friends here, I spent yesterday doing the following projects,
- install Super ATV flip up. Went smoothly and took my sweet time. Also I read/heard tips to putting the side brackets on the frame first, then bring the windshield to it and put on the two pivot bolts. Worked sweet.
- removed the two front side nets
- installed the factory cup holders on each door
- installed battery tender jr quick connect
- installed Chupacabra mirrors
- installed front center cupholders where the warning label was
- installed a Sunideas top - this is going to be awesome on sunny days to let the light in but not get the wife and daughters sunburned

I removed the front seat just to see how it works. Surprised to see the round rubber ring on the bottom to be shoved up inside the seat! Used a screwdriver to dig and dig until I could get it out. I then put a blob of Vaseline on the end of the metal post and around the rubber ring so when they meet up as the seat goes down, the ring doesn't get pushed in again. (I can see the jokes you will make out of that info!)

The seat belt issue has been figured out and the rest looks great, I had 4 months to buy the necessities we needed, now that they are on the snow is keeping it in the garage. I can't get the thing filthy so soon, it's too good looking.

Vapor White is always let in the red velvet rope as the others stand in line, it's science.

View attachment 240952
View attachment 240953View attachment 240954View attachment 240955View attachment 240956View attachment 240957
Looks good, another $10-12k and you’re ready for adventure. 😉 😂

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rops not installed when shipped, the dealer puts those on.
No they don’t, mine straight off the truck from Honda. The ROPS is factory installed.

1A12222F CC1C 42F5 B4D7 274EBCF04B63

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No they don’t, mine straight off the truck from Honda. The ROPS is factory installed.

View attachment 241016
They come in a crate with the suspension compressed. I was pretty certain the Rops was installed by the dealer on those but I guess I was wrong. My dealer had several in the crates when I bought mine and even with the suspension compressed it didn’t look tall enough to have the Rops on already.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was pretty certain the Rops was installed by the dealer on those but I guess I was wrong. My dealer had several in the crates when I bought mine and even with the suspension compressed it didn’t look tall enough to have the Rops on already.
Wonder if they changed how they are shipped, mine wasn’t in a crate, it was driven off a truck in a box trailer.

Similar to this video

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the the forum. With those pics, I would def open a QA complaint ticket with Honda. Google maps and Yelp also a good place for reviews on crappy dealers, especially if there is competition. Good news is whatever issue you find, its likely someone here can help if needed.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder if they changed how they are shipped, mine wasn’t in a crate, it was driven off a truck in a box trailer.

Similar to this video
I did see an article that said Honda has made a few changes so that they can ship Atv’s and SXS’s to your front door.

advertisement
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did see an article that said Honda has made a few changes so that they can ship Atv’s and SXS’s to your front door.
Yeah I did see that, kind of an interesting option but with low dealer inventory I wonder if anyone has actually been able to use this and if you have to buy direct from Honda.

I bet @HondaTech would know.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I did see that, kind of an interesting option but with low dealer inventory I wonder if anyone has actually been able to use this and if you have to buy direct from Honda.

I bet @HondaTech would know.
He would be the authority on the matter, but can’t imagine having a 1000-5 shipped to my house from Honda.

Reactions: Biteme
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Selling them like hot cakes when I bought mine early this year so they weren't really on top of their game either. Steering wheel was off center and couple of other things. Problem is that when you spend this much on entertainment your hopin you didn't get screwed so you tend to make more out of little things. Once you get yours out in their element on a beautiful day you'll
Hello members, new member with first thread here.

My wife and I sold our Harley in August and went straight to my Honda dealer for a P1000-5 in Vapor White. After 4 months of waiting, it came in and we brought it home yesterday, 12-10.

First, there was no wiggle room on the price and they were firm because if I didn't buy it, the next guy would. So, we paid a lot. I asked, "how about throwing in a roof or a cover?" I was given a $50.00 gift card along with the free dealer tee shirts. How about a break on freight and setup? I have seen the videos on Youtube where the unit is driven off the semi and the service dept. installs the side nets and seatbelts (for $700). No break there either, we are at full price so far.

We arrive to pick up our new Pioneer and during my look over I see the passenger front fender which is held on with the push pins, has one half out. I try to just set it in and it won't go. A mechanic had to come out and put a little rough housing into it, taking out the pins on the left and the right to get all the parts lined up to get the stubborn one in. Fine I guess, but I didn't like the guy acting like it's an old farm bike, he wasn't real gentle. Then, I see the rear passenger seat belt is covered with a plastic box to hide the mechanism. This was not installed correctly and the push pins on each side were in but the two rear tabs the hook the metal were not in place and it was held on by the pins. This is minor as well, but another mechanic came out to pop the pins and get this cover installed correctly - as my $700 should have already covered.

So fine, TWO fit and finish issued before even loading it in the parking lot. Worse has happened.

We get the Pioneer home and get it ready to take our girls for a short ride around town looking at Xmas lights. They get in the back and the seatbelts come down to get clipped into the buckle, and they won't stay in. When the clip at the end is inserted to the buckle, it can be pulled back out without hitting the release button. Both girls got to ride for the first time without a seatbelt as they can not stay clipped in. I found a related thread about getting the correct clip on the strap into the correct buckle - inboard or outboard. I will look at this in the morning but as they say in Tommy Boy - "put the little end in the big end". No further steps should be needed.

3, count them 3 issues with this thing on DAY ONE. I have been a loyal Honda owner with my count of machines in the 20's over the years. Has this company gone down in quality?

My dealer was really really - as they do $$$, trying to sell the extended warranty. I have been burned by them in the past and feel with this company being the most reliable I have owned, I don't need an extended warranty. BUT...now after my first day, it may be great idea.

Any words of wisdom on the rear seatbelts is appreciated, and any comments to keep me a Honda fan would also be nice. This machine is exactly the UTV my family would get the most use out of, and we waited a long 4 months for it to come in.

Thanks and I look forward to my membership in this forum.
Wellzy
Selling them like hot cakes when I bought mine early this year so they were pretty much "buy it or get out of the way". They were running somewhat of a deal on them at the time. They were also very busy so they did not spend much time on setup. Steering wheel was off center and couple of other things. Problem is that when you spend this much on entertainment your hopin you didn't get screwed so you tend to make more out of little things. Once you get yours out in their element on a beautiful day you'll be hooked on it. Enjoy!

F

FireRN

Nov 11, 2020
MS
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Sweet Home Alabama! I had a similar experience and still have a little bad taste in my mouth after my deal.

Like you I’ve owned 10-15 Honda’s since a kid and been well pleased but my 1000-5 deal was “rushed” as well. I wanted a vapor white and no one had one in stock within 4-5 hours from me. The dealer I ended up going with sold me a red one for right at $1700 below msrp which I was shocked on 10/31/20. However, to change the plastics to vapor white it was $800 and they kept my red plastics but didn’t “charge” me any labor to change the plastics from red to white. Go figure. I thought well, I’m still getting a white one cheaper than I could anywhere else I’ve found so what the heck. When I got home I noticed the black trim just above the headlights where it meets the white plastic looked odd. Well, after a little digging, they “forgot” to put the 2 screws back in above the headlights on each side that pull the white plastic together to the black trim. After a little research I found out you have to take all the guts out of your front fender and pull your side fenders off to put these screws back in. At this point I’m pissed about the $800 I paid for the dealer to swap the plastics. I called them and told them about it and they were like we’re sorry if you can send us some pics we’ll send you the screws to fix it, gee thanks.

Second, when I got home after a 4.5 hr trip to pick it up, I noticed there were a few bolts laying in my front floorboard. I got a little curious and started to checking and I found that almost half of my hardware on my superatv flip out windshield was loose. I was kinda hot about this as well, dang just take the time and do your job right.

I’m kinda to the point if you want something done right you might as well try to figure it out yourself because everyone else is just trying to cut corners to make a few extra bucks. I have very little faith in dealers and they’ve service department, from toys to tractors, you just don’t have any “real” mechanics any more, just part changers wanting a pay check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome from Sweet Home Alabama! I had a similar experience and still have a little bad taste in my mouth after my deal.

Like you I’ve owned 10-15 Honda’s since a kid and been well pleased but my 1000-5 deal was “rushed” as well. I wanted a vapor white and no one had one in stock within 4-5 hours from me. The dealer I ended up going with sold me a red one for right at $1700 below msrp which I was shocked on 10/31/20. However, to change the plastics to vapor white it was $800 and they kept my red plastics but didn’t “charge” me any labor to change the plastics from red to white. Go figure. I thought well, I’m still getting a white one cheaper than I could anywhere else I’ve found so what the heck. When I got home I noticed the black trim just above the headlights where it meets the white plastic looked odd. Well, after a little digging, they “forgot” to put the 2 screws back in above the headlights on each side that pull the white plastic together to the black trim. After a little research I found out you have to take all the guts out of your front fender and pull your side fenders off to put these screws back in. At this point I’m pissed about the $800 I paid for the dealer to swap the plastics. I called them and told them about it and they were like we’re sorry if you can send us some pics we’ll send you the screws to fix it, gee thanks.

Second, when I got home after a 4.5 hr trip to pick it up, I noticed there were a few bolts laying in my front floorboard. I got a little curious and started to checking and I found that almost half of my hardware on my superatv flip out windshield was loose. I was kinda hot about this as well, dang just take the time and do your job right.

I’m kinda to the point if you want something done right you might as well try to figure it out yourself because everyone else is just trying to cut corners to make a few extra bucks. I have very little faith in dealers and they’ve service department, from toys to tractors, you just don’t have any “real” mechanics any more, just part changers wanting a pay check!

My super ATV windshield was loose too. I tried to tighten it but it will not snug all the way up. Did you have any peoblem getting yours tight?

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
My super ATV windshield was loose too. I tried to tighten it but it will not snug all the way up. Did you have any peoblem getting yours tight?

Nah, seems like it’s all snug now. I had to tweak on the bottom part a little to get the weatherstripping tight against the hood but other than that I just tightened all the hardware I found loose. Haven’t had any other issues with it so far.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
- installed battery tender jr quick connect

View attachment 240956

I installed the quick connect and ran it through that hole with the radiator cap and right out through the grill. It’s just long enough to be easy access that way (aka no need to pull the hood) and short enough that it never gets in the way. I’d attach a pic but I’m at work.

edit: found a pic on my phone

BF31FD23 CEA7 419D 95FA 3FDF414282B4

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and DanDan
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello members, new member with first thread here.

My wife and I sold our Harley in August and went straight to my Honda dealer for a P1000-5 in Vapor White. After 4 months of waiting, it came in and we brought it home yesterday, 12-10.

First, there was no wiggle room on the price and they were firm because if I didn't buy it, the next guy would. So, we paid a lot. I asked, "how about throwing in a roof or a cover?" I was given a $50.00 gift card along with the free dealer tee shirts. How about a break on freight and setup? I have seen the videos on Youtube where the unit is driven off the semi and the service dept. installs the side nets and seatbelts (for $700). No break there either, we are at full price so far.

We arrive to pick up our new Pioneer and during my look over I see the passenger front fender which is held on with the push pins, has one half out. I try to just set it in and it won't go. A mechanic had to come out and put a little rough housing into it, taking out the pins on the left and the right to get all the parts lined up to get the stubborn one in. Fine I guess, but I didn't like the guy acting like it's an old farm bike, he wasn't real gentle. Then, I see the rear passenger seat belt is covered with a plastic box to hide the mechanism. This was not installed correctly and the push pins on each side were in but the two rear tabs the hook the metal were not in place and it was held on by the pins. This is minor as well, but another mechanic came out to pop the pins and get this cover installed correctly - as my $700 should have already covered.

So fine, TWO fit and finish issued before even loading it in the parking lot. Worse has happened.

We get the Pioneer home and get it ready to take our girls for a short ride around town looking at Xmas lights. They get in the back and the seatbelts come down to get clipped into the buckle, and they won't stay in. When the clip at the end is inserted to the buckle, it can be pulled back out without hitting the release button. Both girls got to ride for the first time without a seatbelt as they can not stay clipped in. I found a related thread about getting the correct clip on the strap into the correct buckle - inboard or outboard. I will look at this in the morning but as they say in Tommy Boy - "put the little end in the big end". No further steps should be needed.

3, count them 3 issues with this thing on DAY ONE. I have been a loyal Honda owner with my count of machines in the 20's over the years. Has this company gone down in quality?

My dealer was really really - as they do $$$, trying to sell the extended warranty. I have been burned by them in the past and feel with this company being the most reliable I have owned, I don't need an extended warranty. BUT...now after my first day, it may be great idea.

Any words of wisdom on the rear seatbelts is appreciated, and any comments to keep me a Honda fan would also be nice. This machine is exactly the UTV my family would get the most use out of, and we waited a long 4 months for it to come in.

Thanks and I look forward to my membership in this forum.
Wellzy

You had 4 issues, last being you didn't read the owner's manual and realize the rear buckles secure only one way and you were trying it bass awkward.

Setup was done by a minimum wage oil change monkey or the other issues would have been caught and addressed before you were called to pick up the machine.

F

FireRN

Nov 11, 2020
MS
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nah, seems like it’s all snug now. I had to tweak on the bottom part a little to get the weatherstripping tight against the hood but other than that I just tightened all the hardware I found loose. Haven’t had any other issues with it so far.

K. Thanks. It seems like i have tighted the claps all the way and when I lift the windshield they twist/rotate a little.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!