P1000 Brought it home yesterday, so far it hasn't been good.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello members, new member with first thread here.

My wife and I sold our Harley in August and went straight to my Honda dealer for a P1000-5 in Vapor White. After 4 months of waiting, it came in and we brought it home yesterday, 12-10.

First, there was no wiggle room on the price and they were firm because if I didn't buy it, the next guy would. So, we paid a lot. I asked, "how about throwing in a roof or a cover?" I was given a $50.00 gift card along with the free dealer tee shirts. How about a break on freight and setup? I have seen the videos on Youtube where the unit is driven off the semi and the service dept. installs the side nets and seatbelts (for $700). No break there either, we are at full price so far.

We arrive to pick up our new Pioneer and during my look over I see the passenger front fender which is held on with the push pins, has one half out. I try to just set it in and it won't go. A mechanic had to come out and put a little rough housing into it, taking out the pins on the left and the right to get all the parts lined up to get the stubborn one in. Fine I guess, but I didn't like the guy acting like it's an old farm bike, he wasn't real gentle. Then, I see the rear passenger seat belt is covered with a plastic box to hide the mechanism. This was not installed correctly and the push pins on each side were in but the two rear tabs the hook the metal were not in place and it was held on by the pins. This is minor as well, but another mechanic came out to pop the pins and get this cover installed correctly - as my $700 should have already covered.

So fine, TWO fit and finish issued before even loading it in the parking lot. Worse has happened.

We get the Pioneer home and get it ready to take our girls for a short ride around town looking at Xmas lights. They get in the back and the seatbelts come down to get clipped into the buckle, and they won't stay in. When the clip at the end is inserted to the buckle, it can be pulled back out without hitting the release button. Both girls got to ride for the first time without a seatbelt as they can not stay clipped in. I found a related thread about getting the correct clip on the strap into the correct buckle - inboard or outboard. I will look at this in the morning but as they say in Tommy Boy - "put the little end in the big end". No further steps should be needed.

3, count them 3 issues with this thing on DAY ONE. I have been a loyal Honda owner with my count of machines in the 20's over the years. Has this company gone down in quality?

My dealer was really really - as they do $$$, trying to sell the extended warranty. I have been burned by them in the past and feel with this company being the most reliable I have owned, I don't need an extended warranty. BUT...now after my first day, it may be great idea.

Any words of wisdom on the rear seatbelts is appreciated, and any comments to keep me a Honda fan would also be nice. This machine is exactly the UTV my family would get the most use out of, and we waited a long 4 months for it to come in.

Thanks and I look forward to my membership in this forum.
Wellzy

Last edited:
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, plastic push pins don't seem that terrible. Sounds the like the dealer was in a hurry. The seatbelt, sounds like the wrong clip is being pushed in the female part. I've done that a time or 2. Check all your fluids, oil , sub trans, coolant, diffs etc. Skim or read your manual. Lots of good info in there. Honestly sounds like your Honda dealer had the one up on you. I would of found a different one. I waited 4 months and drove 6 hours. Your Honda should bring you lots of trouble free miles. My kids love riding in mine. Welcome !
(Yes I know we had an extra in front, just a quick put around the acreage) 0e6f254b5759165dcae3b16d70c01ee9

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State.

Hopefully there will no the any further issues with your rig.

Remember.....pics or it didn't happen.

#NTC

Beretta67

Beretta67

Nov 11, 2020
McKean Co. Pa.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Relax take a few deep breaths................your upset and overreacting because of the crappy deal after the long wait. Your not alone, most of us that have purchased a new 2020 - 2021 fun toy have overpaid (myself included). None of us like the situation, unfortunately Covid-19 has the supply-demand in favor of the seller right now. I accepted it because I sold a 7 year old Honda Big Red for $2k more than I paid for it and upgraded to a 700-4.

I wouldn’t consider the plastic push pins a warranty issue more of a lack of detail on the dealers part. If your local dealer is as busy as the rest across the country small issues happen. It’s understandable to expect perfection after spending close to $20k on a toy. Look at the positives, your going to have a lot of fun with the family and friends.

As far as the seatbelts, I don’t have any experience with the P1k, someone here will chime in and help you out.

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum, I’m a new member myself. This forum and it’s great members have been extremely helpful with all the mods I’ve done on my machine.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Welcome from Sweet Home Alabama! I had a similar experience and still have a little bad taste in my mouth after my deal.

Like you I’ve owned 10-15 Honda’s since a kid and been well pleased but my 1000-5 deal was “rushed” as well. I wanted a vapor white and no one had one in stock within 4-5 hours from me. The dealer I ended up going with sold me a red one for right at $1700 below msrp which I was shocked on 10/31/20. However, to change the plastics to vapor white it was $800 and they kept my red plastics but didn’t “charge” me any labor to change the plastics from red to white. Go figure. I thought well, I’m still getting a white one cheaper than I could anywhere else I’ve found so what the heck. When I got home I noticed the black trim just above the headlights where it meets the white plastic looked odd. Well, after a little digging, they “forgot” to put the 2 screws back in above the headlights on each side that pull the white plastic together to the black trim. After a little research I found out you have to take all the guts out of your front fender and pull your side fenders off to put these screws back in. At this point I’m pissed about the $800 I paid for the dealer to swap the plastics. I called them and told them about it and they were like we’re sorry if you can send us some pics we’ll send you the screws to fix it, gee thanks.

Second, when I got home after a 4.5 hr trip to pick it up, I noticed there were a few bolts laying in my front floorboard. I got a little curious and started to checking and I found that almost half of my hardware on my superatv flip out windshield was loose. I was kinda hot about this as well, dang just take the time and do your job right.

I’m kinda to the point if you want something done right you might as well try to figure it out yourself because everyone else is just trying to cut corners to make a few extra bucks. I have very little faith in dealers and they’ve service department, from toys to tractors, you just don’t have any “real” mechanics any more, just part changers wanting a pay check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the great Northwest.
I understand being frustrated. Prices are at a premium now with supply so low. I think that if you were having bad feelings you maybe should have walked away and found a dealer you were comfortable with. First impressions are hard to overcome.
When I purchased my ride not quite a year ago things were different and I was willing to travel to get the rig I wanted. As it turned out I didn't have to but by talking with different dealers I was able to negotiate a price that basically included a roof, winch and windshield for the msrp for the machine only.
I too had several items installed wrong but fixed them myself and just passed it off on with my experience that most of the time no mechanics do setup. It is usually the helper trying to learn the trade.
I think like has been mentioned that if you try to relax and approach things positively you will be happy with your new ride. I know I sure have been!
My last comment will be that your power comes with your wallet and there are plenty of places other then your dealer to add all those little extras to make your rig exactly what you want.
I'm a new member here and there is a great sense of support and information from it's members. I think this will be a great source for myself and you as well to help the future experiences be much better.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Holy Shamoli! I think I just read a whole novel on this thread! Let me add too! Lol.
Welcome from another brother from the Great Lakes State and home to Stretchen Gretchen! ;)

You’ll be ok! It’s not the end of the world! Chit in the world today happens too often esspecially when u have to order something and wait. There lots of threads on here to fix your problems. I would be more pissed at my dealer not Honda for the prep you pd for and didn’t catch it. (they snuck it in there trust me!) that’s chitty quality control on there part and should have tested and fixed that chit before delivery. They come partially apart in a crate and the dealer puts it together . the clear plastic covering and everything comes off so they should have taken care of that from there 100 point inspection.

Oh! PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
WE LIKE PICS PICS PICS!;)

Last edited:
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nothing new.
I get your not happy. Your'e not alone. Go to any forum for any type vehicle and you will find the same thing.
I will wait it out before I pay MSRP or find a low mileage used one.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

As usual, s*** dealers giving a good product a bad reputation.

They obviously don't take QC seriously, there are 4 people who should've seen those faults before you ever did.

The setup person, the first QC person, the service manager and finally the sales manager.

This stuff doesn't happen when people do their job properly.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum from Canton, OH.
Pics or it didn't happen
Red is the fastest color, but get yourself some stickers on the white model and it can keep up.

#NTC

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I'd like to thank all for the welcomes and for chiming in to assist. I came home from work this morning and played with the seatbelts after reading they have to be put into the buckle only one way, and it worked.

If the first clip on the strap goes into the outboard buckle, but is facing the way Honda doesn't want it to face, it pulls out. I was surprised to find out the buckle won't accept it unless it's facing the correct way.

And as I was told, I did slow down and take a breath. The detail issues at the dealer were minor and the seatbelts are as they should be, even if they are way picky! I can say no warranty issues, just a frustrated new owner but I do love Honda and have always put them at #1 for quality.

Today I will install the Super ATV windshield and other do dads. Thanks again for all the support and welcomes, have a great day!

Wellzy

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As usual, s*** dealers giving a good product a bad reputation.

They obviously don't take QC seriously, there are 4 people who should've seen those faults before you ever did.

The setup person, the first QC person, the service manager and finally the sales manager.

This stuff doesn't happen when people do their job properly.
I felt the same way, this should not have been presented to a customer with two easy to find errors.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I'd like to thank all for the welcomes and for chiming in to assist. I came home from work this morning and played with the seatbelts after reading they have to be put into the buckle only one way, and it worked.

If the first clip on the strap goes into the outboard buckle, but is facing the way Honda doesn't want it to face, it pulls out. I was surprised to find out the buckle won't accept it unless it's facing the correct way.

And as I was told, I did slow down and take a breath. The detail issues at the dealer were minor and the seatbelts are as they should be, even if they are way picky! I can say no warranty issues, just a frustrated new owner but I do love Honda and have always put them at #1 for quality.

Today I will install the Super ATV windshield and other do dads. Thanks again for all the support and welcomes, have a great day!

Wellzy
You might want to read others install suggestions on here about that #SuperATV windshield install. If not I suspect it will be the next item to frustrate and disappoint you. ;)

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Sweet Home Alabama! I had a similar experience and still have a little bad taste in my mouth after my deal.

Like you I’ve owned 10-15 Honda’s since a kid and been well pleased but my 1000-5 deal was “rushed” as well. I wanted a vapor white and no one had one in stock within 4-5 hours from me. The dealer I ended up going with sold me a red one for right at $1700 below msrp which I was shocked on 10/31/20. However, to change the plastics to vapor white it was $800 and they kept my red plastics but didn’t “charge” me any labor to change the plastics from red to white. Go figure. I thought well, I’m still getting a white one cheaper than I could anywhere else I’ve found so what the heck. When I got home I noticed the black trim just above the headlights where it meets the white plastic looked odd. Well, after a little digging, they “forgot” to put the 2 screws back in above the headlights on each side that pull the white plastic together to the black trim. After a little research I found out you have to take all the guts out of your front fender and pull your side fenders off to put these screws back in. At this point I’m pissed about the $800 I paid for the dealer to swap the plastics. I called them and told them about it and they were like we’re sorry if you can send us some pics we’ll send you the screws to fix it, gee thanks.

Second, when I got home after a 4.5 hr trip to pick it up, I noticed there were a few bolts laying in my front floorboard. I got a little curious and started to checking and I found that almost half of my hardware on my superatv flip out windshield was loose. I was kinda hot about this as well, dang just take the time and do your job right.

I’m kinda to the point if you want something done right you might as well try to figure it out yourself because everyone else is just trying to cut corners to make a few extra bucks. I have very little faith in dealers and they’ve service department, from toys to tractors, you just don’t have any “real” mechanics any more, just part changers wanting a pay check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! I thank you for sharing your experience, my little push pin ordeal seems like absolutely nothing compared to your nightmare. I watched a video about swapping plastics, all of them are easy except for that entire front piece, lots of things need to been disconnected to get that swapped. Thanks and have a great day.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
great suggestion, I will research that before I get into it too far.
Along those lines, plexiglass is NOT a rigid material; many of them are slightly bowed, mine included. Take your time, every connection is dependent on the others. Welcome to the site. :cool:

OBTW: Jeremie is wrong, white's the new fastest. :p

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!