P500 Bucket seat conversion

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Finished up my bucket seat conversion tonight. Pretty happy with the result. Actually quite simple in nature, just a lot of head scratching to get the right plan to work.

20170420 202312 20170420 200928 20170417 223534

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: rocmar
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't take any of the front attachment point, but its exactly the same as the way @JACKAL did his with the slotted angle steel.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Very cool Shadesmn! So do they sit pretty vertical or slightly laid back?
Slightly laid back. Took the original bases off the seats and it drops them down about 1 1/2" and allows them to rest on the seat frame. Then I just put a piece of flat steel across for the back to sit on. Very basic, but very sturdy.

20170420 200858

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Update, took the p5 out this weekend and after a 70 mile trip on Saturday I have to say holy cow. Way better to ride long distances. Haven't done any suspension mods, but it is night and day different in comfort from the bench. Rough sections were much easier to hit with speed, whoops are still obviously not up the 500's alley, but it is crazy how much they change the ride. No sliding around anymore on the bench, so much less effort involved in rough sections as well as off camber situations.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
How does it affect the heat coming up from between the seats?

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
How does it affect the heat coming up from between the seats?
I didnt even notice the heat. I would think it allows it to escape better than the bench. I'd have to run the ws to see if its still noticeable then, but without it there was no problem.

advertisement
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Great job... What did those seats come out of originally.?
Thanks. They are out of a rzr. Not sure of model, but I think they are pretty universal except the ones in the 1000. I know those ones look different, but I think dimensions are probably the same, though not 100% certain on those..

Reactions: rocmar and Rustell
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't take any of the front attachment point, but its exactly the same as the way @JACKAL did his with the slotted angle steel.
Sitting an 1 1/2" lower in the seat will have a big impact on dynamic roll over where the vehicle at some point exceeds the lateral center of gravity. This is the point where the vehicle rolls over on its side. Just thinking out loud, if you lower the seat an 1 1/2" and add 1" spacers, it should make the Pioneer 500 a fairly stable machine.

Reactions: 100Acre
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Sitting an 1 1/2" lower in the seat will have a big impact on dynamic roll over where the vehicle at some point exceeds the lateral center of gravity. This is the point where the vehicle rolls over on its side. Just thinking out loud, if you lower the seat an 1 1/2" and add 1" spacers, it should make the Pioneer 500 a fairly stable machine.
To clarify, the seats are a bit higher than the bench. But removing the plastic base they are attached to lowers them to a more suitable height, which is about 1 1/2" lower.

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
To clarify, the seats are a bit higher than the bench. But removing the plastic base they are attached to lowers them to a more suitable height, which is about 1 1/2" lower.
Shadesmn, How much higher and forward would you say that you are sitting now(is it like the other conversion about 2 inch forward and 2 inchup)? I'm interested in this mod for sure! Also, If I look at your setup correctly, the seats are anchored only in the back?

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Did some measuring, the back of the seat is maybe an inch or so more forward from where the bench was. Bottom is about 2 inches higher at the front and about the same at the rear as the seat is slanted in shape from front to back. You can feel the difference in the front by the way your feet rest on the floor as well as the slight incline of the seat compared to the bench. Also the front of my seats are also attatched, basically the same way the bench does. They hook under the front frame and then tip back to secure the backs.

20170426 081431 20170426 081438

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Update, took the p5 out this weekend and after a 70 mile trip on Saturday I have to say holy cow. Way better to ride long distances. Haven't done any suspension mods, but it is night and day different in comfort from the bench. Rough sections were much easier to hit with speed, whoops are still obviously not up the 500's alley, but it is crazy how much they change the ride. No sliding around anymore on the bench, so much less effort involved in rough sections as well as off camber situations.
Dude...that's kool you shared
your mod knowledge....on the
bucket seats...
way kool...
thanks

Reactions: Shadesmn
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
If you look at the front you can see the seats are a lot thicker at the front. They sit flush on the square frames right on the base plastic of the machine. Going from that point to the top of the seat about 6 inches. Measuring from the flat spot on the front of the bench to the seat top is about 4 in. The slotted steel piece that spans the bottom sits at the same height as the front rest of the bench.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
To me
p5...will never
get 5 stars...on being
stable....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If you look at the front you can see the seats are a lot thicker at the front. They sit flush on the square frames right on the base plastic of the machine. Going from that point to the top of the seat about 6 inches. Measuring from the flat spot on the front of the bench to the seat top is about 4 in. The slotted steel piece that spans the bottom sits at the same height as the front rest of the bench.
Thanks ..great job
props to you...bro

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks ..great job
props to you...bro
Thanks for the compliment. Have to give a bit of credit to my buddy too, he assisted in the head scratching and trial and error of finding the right combination of simple and effective. Way more time in "engineering " than it would seem based on the simplicity of the finished product. But very happy with the results for sure.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!