Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went back out to shop with manual in hand. Gonna count the flashes and see what's up. No pgm light and selector indicator showing P like it should. Hit the starter and it fires right off. Runs perfectly. Still got little smoke from the rear diff area. No burnt short smell though. I'm thinking I got a loose plug somewhere and got too much water in it. The smoke I'm still seeing is vapor/steam. Hard to say where it's coming from. O2 sensor maybe? It could be coming from almost anywhere.
So here's the plan. Disconnected neg cable and gonna let it sit overnight to dry out. I'll start it tomorrow and look for vapor/smoke. If I don't see any I'll break out the dielectric grease and go over every connector i can get my hands on.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went back out to shop with manual in hand. Gonna count the flashes and see what's up. No pgm light and selector indicator showing P like it should. Hit the starter and it fires right off. Runs perfectly. Still got little smoke from the rear diff area. No burnt short smell though. I'm thinking I got a loose plug somewhere and got too much water in it. The smoke I'm still seeing is vapor/steam. Hard to say where it's coming from. O2 sensor maybe? It could be coming from almost anywhere.
So here's the plan. Disconnected neg cable and gonna let it sit overnight to dry out. I'll start it tomorrow and look for vapor/smoke. If I don't see any I'll break out the dielectric grease and go over every connector i can get my hands on.
Sounds like a solid plan! As I've been working on my machine I've been pulling every electrical plug possible and giving them ye ole dielectric grease treatment. Electronics can be great, but can also create a lot of problems...

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm glad it's going but still a little concerning.

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had me laughing!! Was it electrical smoke you were smelling or horse crap cooking on your muffler??
Haha!! She had plenty of nature's odor while washing it off believe me lol. Luckily I like that smell. Half hour of fun, almost 2 hours of cleaning. Sounds about right eh?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I'm not sure if it's safe to do the pioneer but on trucks that I wanted to disconnect power and hopefully try to reset a computer, I would take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together which would instantly drain any residual power in the system versus leaving it overnight.

The smell thing has me worried. That's what don't make sense.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure if it's safe to do the pioneer but on trucks that I wanted to disconnect power and hopefully try to reset a computer, I would take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together which would instantly drain any residual power in the system versus leaving it overnight.

The smell thing has me worried. That's what don't make sense.
Yeah me too. But no telling what was on that hot motor right before it started smoking. Wish I could've counted the flashing so I could look it up.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked to see if stored codes can be retrieved. They can but with a special tool (of course). Googling the tool to see if it can be hand built. Too bad these don't have an obd port. I got a kickarse scanner.

advertisement