Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure if it's safe to do the pioneer but on trucks that I wanted to disconnect power and hopefully try to reset a computer, I would take both battery cables off the battery and touch them together which would instantly drain any residual power in the system versus leaving it overnight.

The smell thing has me worried. That's what don't make sense.
I think I mentioned this but when I started it last time and it ran perfect, the smoke had no odor whatsoever. I think it was vapor due to how fast it dissipated. Couldn't feel anything warm. Gently bent any wires I could see (great way to tell if any are burnt inside their insulation. Wire will be stiff where it's burnt). Still thinking some current jumped a small gap from a plug not totally tight. Moisture was probably making the connection.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@drfubar are you up for some synchronized donutting? Gotta admit that would look pretty cool lol. Wow we gotta get to the trails soon. Being bored is not good!
Uhmmm, yes you need to get to the trails immediately!! Lot of fuel, clear your mind, breath the fresh air, spend the entire day in the woods, try to not think about going around in circles... Your comment about the "synchronized donutting" (is that even a real word?) is quite worrisome!! LOL

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@drfubar are you up for some synchronized donutting? Gotta admit that would look pretty cool lol. Wow we gotta get to the trails soon. Being bored is not good!
It was fun but I had not only mud to get off the Honda but there was grass clogging everything. Hanging on to everything too. I had to get in there and pull it out. The washer would not blow it out... IT's now mud down there but it was originally grass

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Delton what time are you going to be tackling your 1000 ?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was fun but I had not only mud to get off the Honda but there was grass clogging everything. Hanging on to everything too. I had to get in there and pull it out. The washer would not blow it out... IT's now mud down there but it was originally grass
I was lucky and didnt have to deal with grass. It seems to bond the mud together and make cleanup even harder as you mentioned. Honestly it was way more trouble cleaning than it was worth. But hey, it involved mud, my beloved machine, and high rpms right?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Which part? Troubleshooting, drying connectors and greasing, or continuing on the rear bumper build?
Well I guess all but I'm more concerned about you not having more problems. Was wondering if it started fine no hiccups and all that this morning

Reactions: DGann and drfubar
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I guess all but I'm more concerned about you not having more problems. Was wondering if it started fine no hiccups and all that this morning
Oh ok lol. I'll go out there in little bit. Only got 1 of 3 kids enrolled in school so I'm kinda stuck inside with the 2 brothers. They seem like good kids so I'll sneak off in little bit and at least see if it'll start.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's very few electrical connectors in that area so shouldn't be too hard to cover all of them. O2 sensor is the most obvious. Now if the smoke/vapor was under the hood, then I'd be worried lol

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll spare y'all the step by step and cut to the chase. It started. Still had little smoke. Found some wiring in a bind against my HL lift bracket. Loosened wiring and rerouted around bracket. Now runs with no smoke. Still plan to grease everything and need to inspect wiring for breaks in insulation.
IMG 20161207 102011519 1336x752
IMG 20161207 102057864 1336x752

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks obvious that the wiring is in a bind, but those pics were taken with me bent up like a pretzel to get a clear shot. Wiring is actually hidden by frame rail so I had no idea the lift was interfering with the wiring.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll spare y'all the step by step and cut to the chase. It started. Still had little smoke. Found some wiring in a bind against my HL lift bracket. Loosened wiring and rerouted around bracket. Now runs with no smoke. Still plan to grease everything and need to inspect wiring for breaks in insulation.
View attachment 27948 View attachment 27949
That's great news! Electrical problems is a nightmare but if you found the cause all good I'm sure you'll rest easier. Thanks for the update I'll look at mine too you may have saved people a hassle here

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's great news! Electrical problems is a nightmare but if you found the cause all good I'm sure you'll rest easier. Thanks for the update I'll look at mine too you may have saved people a hassle here
Yeah I forgot you have same lift. Rear bracket has a slot cut in it that fits into the frame. When you push bracket into place, it hits the wiring and puts pressure on it. Take a screwdriver and pop out the holddown from the frame. That'll give you a little breathing room.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks obvious that the wiring is in a bind, but those pics were taken with me bent up like a pretzel to get a clear shot. Wiring is actually hidden by frame rail so I had no idea the lift was interfering with the wiring.
I will be taking a close look at mine as well! Just like I dielectric grease everything I run across, I also wire tie the crap out of stuff. I get it that they can't do it all during the production of the machine, but I have the time to be picky! Wires giggling around just isn't a good thing in my opinion!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah I forgot you have same lift. Rear bracket has a slot cut in it that fits into the frame. When you push bracket into place, it hits the wiring and puts pressure on it. Take a screwdriver and pop out the holddown from the frame. That'll give you a little breathing room.
I'll be looking tonight! And thanks for the good info on the lift when I was researching. I really like it and agree on stability.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be taking a close look at mine as well! Just like I dielectric grease everything I run across, I also wire tie the crap out of stuff. I get it that they can't do it all during the production of the machine, but I have the time to be picky! Wires giggling around just isn't a good thing in my opinion!
These weren't jiggling from the factory. They actually did a great job of securing them to the frame. And that was my problem. When I slid the bracket in there, there just wasn't any slack in wiring to accommodate. Totally user fault. Hoping that's all it is.

advertisement