P500 Bumper/storage idea...

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Was putting the P5 rear diff back in today and my rear bumper was in my face the whole time. I never capped off the ends of my bumper so i kept putting a wrench or ratchet in it to hold it for me while i hooked up the shocks and a-arms and stuff. Anyway, it got me to thinking about making tool storage in the bumper...then i started thinking even bigger...what about c.v. axle storage in the bumper? I measured the outside diameter of my P5 c.v cups, and it looks like they would be just a smidge over 3" if you measure around the metal band that keeps the c.v. boot on. That would be the widest point. So I'm thinking maybe a 3.5" outside diameter pipe/tubing. Weld a cap on one end and have the other end cap threaded on. You could even store longer tools inside of it like a breaker bar or long pry type screw drivers. You would store these along side the shaft part of the c.v. axle while its inside the tube in the void between the inner c.v. cup and outer c.v. cup. I was thinking maybe one tube bumper on the rear, and being Honda dropped the ball and has 2 different length c.v. axles on the front, a double tube bumper on the front of different lengths to add some fanciness to it... I'm kinda just thinking out loud. Looking for yall to tell me I'm stupid, or to go for it. Maybe yall can forsee problems I'm not thinking of. One problem I see is if I bend the bumper from hitting something I might not be able to get the c.v. axle out if I needed it. Also, this is just for events like the Pioneer Takeover. Just about all the other riding we do I can limp a machine back to camp and fix it there. I was thinking maybe the c.v. axles/tools could be wrapped in a towels and slid in the tube and maybe the towel would keep rattling down to a minimum. Heres a pic. The pipe is too small in the pic, but its just to help visualize. It looks like the bumpers would be roughly 24" long or maybe a few inches longer. Anyway, whatcha think? I may start this project within the next month if yall think it's worth while...

20181015 130907

Reactions: rtn001 and Gator
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm for it. I think you can make it functional and look good.

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All good feedback. I was actually planning on making a bolt in rack behind my cooler in the bed that held a couple c.v. axles similar to the pic that @pFive just posted, that way I can take it back out when Pioneer Takeover is done, but then today I kinda thought of the bumper idea. Keep em coming..

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!