P1000 burnt clutches up with less than 400 miles

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is that 6k RPM in neutral or in Hi or Lo range?

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference at identical RPMs in High/Low Range.

It would also be interesting to see if there is a drop or spike on shifting and if it the same between gear 1-2 and 5-6.

Where is the sensor located in the system?

In theory, the pressure should be the same at the same engine RPM no matter what else was going since the pump should be tied to the engine RPM. Unless there is some type of a flow obstruction at a certain point in the cycle.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well only a few are aware at this point so I figured I'd put info out for anyone that may be interested but last weekend on the last day of camping I felt the aftermarket clutches going soft. Different feel this time then the Honda clutches. Low still feels pretty good but high is not right. I feel they have very little time left.Really hard for me to remain calm on this issue so forgive me if I'm a bit abrupt.
Today I will be doing an oil and filter change to make sure and try to prolong a little bit. 2nd oil change on the Kevlar clutches not including fresh oil at replacement and currently at about 425 miles on these. Will be checking oil pressure with gauge sent from Snuff and be comparing off of his readings. Headed for oil and filters now.

Man, that sucks CP. I'd be pissed and I can see why some guys are saying they're junk. I know you push yours hard but there is a definite problem with them that Honda hasn't worked out. They shouldn't have put out a machine that went above 47 mph on the market until it was ready and Honda reliable. It's hurting their reputation. Good luck bro. :(

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man, that sucks CP. I'd be pissed and I can see why some guys are saying they're junk. I know you push yours hard but there is a definite problem with them that Honda hasn't worked out. They shouldn't have put out a machine that went above 47 mph on the market until it was ready and Honda reliable. It's hurting their reputation. Good luck bro. :(
Thanks trigger. I' am frustrated but this isn't me just destroying my machine like some think. It's funny people use to tell me we were too easy on it and jump on the throttle. After takeover I'm too hard on it. We've driven it every way doing all we can and nothing helps. Love the machine so I'll keep going for a bit. Snuff is giving it hell too there are some good people involved.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I agree!! They had better get a fix fast or this will be another big red! And I don't mean the three wheeler!

T

Trailjohn

Feb 27, 2016
Texas usa
Thanks trigger. I' am frustrated but this isn't me just destroying my machine like some think. It's funny people use to tell me we were too easy on it and jump on the throttle. After takeover I'm too hard on it. We've driven it every way doing all we can and nothing helps. Love the machine so I'll keep going for a bit. Snuff is giving it hell too there are some good people involved.
CP fairly new on this but very interested in this kevlar clutch never heard of it, how makes it,cost,any good?, I lost my 1st clutch at 25 hours, 2 clutch at 140 hours, it in shop know, dealer call me and told me Honda has come up with possible fix,an inlarged clutch cover for more oil for cooling an couple of over things he didn't know til get parts from honda, an. Installing heat sheal under seat all on warranty! HOPE this stuff works!!! Love all the info out here,great work form all out there

Reactions: elkguide
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
CP fairly new on this but very interested in this kevlar clutch never heard of it, how makes it,cost,any good?, I lost my 1st clutch at 25 hours, 2 clutch at 140 hours, it in shop know, dealer call me and told me Honda has come up with possible fix,an inlarged clutch cover for more oil for cooling an couple of over things he didn't know til get parts from honda, an. Installing heat sheal under seat all on warranty! HOPE this stuff works!!! Love all the info out here,great work form all out there
The factory heat fix works pretty good, took mine out last night and it was hot. The passenger side was a little warm, but nothing a towel rolled up won't cure, always need a towel anyway. Now for the clutch improvement, my clutches went out with less than 165 miles, Honda replaced both clutches and here's the important part, they CHAMFERED my oil relief valves and now Honda has come up with a new update for the transmission, different clutch cover and orfice for more oil flow to take away the shuddering???????????????

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can't say the Kevlar added much life to the machine maybe 1/3-1/2 again miles. The "fix" will extend life on all machines I'm sure to a degree and will allow some wiggle room for mistakes. Sounds like you've had about the same luck as I have with my current machine, some are not quite to the same standards as others it seems. Hopefully this will help get some life out of yours:)

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!