P1000 burnt clutches up with less than 400 miles

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
It will be interesting to see if the 17's will have less clutch failures. Hopefully they tweaked it a little to make it more reliable.

P

Pioneerdave

Sep 12, 2016
Hubbertville
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It will be interesting to see if the 17's will have less clutch failures. Hopefully they tweaked it a little to make it more reliable.
I've had mine for close to a year now. It's in the shop for the second time for the clutches slipping. The service manager says the first time the clutches looked good just initialized the clutch and bled some circuit in the trans. I drained the oil out of the trans the first time I had trouble and had what looked like metal partials in it. If clutches looked good where did metal come from? Now he's telling me that clutches are bad and honda doesn't usually replace clutches under warranty. Anybody had a problem with Honda not fixing theirs?

Reactions: Kyle13 and Corona1
R

RiverRider450es

Apr 1, 2017
Port mcNicoll, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I love clutches and all that auto engaging gear on gear feel. esp on the Honda foreman made me fall in love, put the 27 mud bugs still reliable built the engine with a highlighter big bore(JE Piston) and burnt the starting off clutch. Learning curve, realized playing with my sportsman bud, when he sunk it deep in peanut butter mud, he had the tendency of putting a flat spot on the belt, figured to drive it to keep it forever, make sure you go into a mud hole locked or at least some speed, make sure you have give a good try with your momentum to have the tire not to deep or a least spinning without to much load before putting into reverse and giving it s***. Know you your red zone, the rpm in which it's slipping is a good thing
I like more power and wanted an electric shift quad, so I got a john Deere buck 500ext, rotax 500liquid with twin plug head, I swear it makes more power than the new Honda foreman rubicon irs, The ext is a long wheelbase version of the bombardier Traxter 500,and it's fun, compared to the short wheel base unit the clutch is set to engage at 1600rpm and the short wheelbase is 1300rpm. I love this quad and would love to see a Honda top my bombardier power wise cause I'd buy it. My Buck weighs 850lbs and will do 100km/h All my buds burnt the s*** out of the clutches on there Traxter and bucks from just lots of power and wide open forward and reverse holes I have 4300miles . Saidly bombardier learned from the mistake of building a tank with almost unmaintainable drivetrain, you put a belt there and that's by the weak link under incredible drivetrain torque loaded, come on have you guys not seen a black mamba, nothing survives them tires.

The pioneer I totally love hearing that this torque twin is balsy work horse and you guys aren't really complaining of a no tire spin situation, weight wise my dad's Kabota x1100c weighs 2400lb and that f***er will stall its engine climbing a hill in high range and the throttle pegged, the kabota rtv 900 won't even turn the tires in reverse, sadly the kabota rtv900 transmission went out at 2200hrs, kabota guys said to much high range, 2500 hundred dollars and a 2 month wait on parts, fixed it and we have 3400 hrs on unit and 600 hrs 7500km on x1100c ,those 35km/he diesel machines can stay on the farm

I am missing some critical technical info that needs to be adressed
1st, what is the locking up rpm for the clutch? This is a must to know your red zone and when it's slipping

2nd oil oil oil, you cannot use any friction modifiers energy saving oil in this monster. s*** with big tires and the clutches getting bathed in oil I would want to really pick and try different brands.

Last edited:
R

RiverRider450es

Apr 1, 2017
Port mcNicoll, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
With power comes great responsivebility, you'll never have to service that clutch under the right circumstances.one oil sample is all that it takes to void a warranty, I wouldnt be surprised if certain dealers would be changing oil and putting in a energy saving oil or oils with lots of friction modifiers.

watching a video with a long haired guy going back and forward with 32 aggressive tires and 25% gear reduction, 6 minutes, he probably took a years worth of life of the clutch compared to just driving the unit and keeping the momentum up, put a fart can on it and lets go., and he's says "I can't get it stuck!" Nor can you smell the clutch surface so hot that oil is cooking cause the crankcase is vented to the air box. The guy spins the rears until there suctioned into the mud then put it in 4wd and guns it!! Did it do well for him no. He put 2 clutches and is selling the unit. I know my mud rigs and it's hard to bastardize this kind of unit when you can buy a xmr with a warranty. Though I'm glad he did that, the Honda spun the tires every time .

Is the clutches burning the material away and warping? Premiturely wearing the clutch material away with out signs of excessive heat? is something in the clutch letting go rivets holding clutch material could break away

K

Kyle13

Apr 2, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know there are a few threads about clutches burnt up, how many have had this issue? Big tires? Running in High range? Any HD clutch packs out there?

I'm running 30 inch tires now, I hope this wont be a reacurring issue, any imput would be great!!
ThanksView attachment 28557
They r junk I done been through 2 sets of clutches n 3 months and I only ride every other weekend I even put portal gears on mine after the first set and burned them again these machines r junk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They r junk I done been through 2 sets of clutches n 3 months and I only ride every other weekend I even put portal gears on mine after the first set and burned them again these machines r junk

Come on man! How can you say the machine is junk when there's literally thousands of people beating their vehicles every weekend without a single failure?

Ec5490f565dd7852ea02e5385dd04554

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Come on man! How can you say the machine is junk when there's literally thousands of people beating their vehicles every weekend without a single failure?

Ec5490f565dd7852ea02e5385dd04554

(Delton) "I HATE light scratches too. Makes me think I left some fun on the table. So I go back out there and cover them up with deep scratches. Works every time lol."
Oh now. Don't be telling stories. You know you rub that thing down with armor all every night right after you check the mailbox.:p

Dean1K3

Dean1K3

May 24, 2017
Osteen Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know there are a few threads about clutches burnt up, how many have had this issue? Big tires? Running in High range? Any HD clutch packs out there?

I'm running 30 inch tires now, I hope this wont be a reacurring issue, any imput would be great!!
ThanksView attachment 28557
It's a shame! Booo Honda... I had the same issue with myP1000-3. I should get mine back by the weekend. Definitely put it in 4low with any mud puddle, reverse, towing, beer cooler/people hauling. Lol

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's a shame! Booo Honda... I had the same issue with myP1000-3. I should get mine back by the weekend. Definitely put it in 4low with any mud puddle, reverse, towing, beer cooler/people hauling. Lol
I wish you could the run 4low in reverse you referred to. That would eliminate some issues

Last edited:
Reactions: Toyhauler33 and pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well only a few are aware at this point so I figured I'd put info out for anyone that may be interested but last weekend on the last day of camping I felt the aftermarket clutches going soft. Different feel this time then the Honda clutches. Low still feels pretty good but high is not right. I feel they have very little time left.Really hard for me to remain calm on this issue so forgive me if I'm a bit abrupt.
Today I will be doing an oil and filter change to make sure and try to prolong a little bit. 2nd oil change on the Kevlar clutches not including fresh oil at replacement and currently at about 425 miles on these. Will be checking oil pressure with gauge sent from Snuff and be comparing off of his readings. Headed for oil and filters now.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well only a few are aware at this point so I figured I'd put info out for anyone that may be interested but last weekend on the last day of camping I felt the aftermarket clutches going soft. Different feel this time then the Honda clutches. Low still feels pretty good but high is not right. I feel they have very little time left.Really hard for me to remain calm on this issue so forgive me if I'm a bit abrupt.
Today I will be doing an oil and filter change to make sure and try to prolong a little bit. 2nd oil change on the Kevlar clutches not including fresh oil at replacement and currently at about 425 miles on these. Will be checking oil pressure with gauge sent from Snuff and be comparing off of his readings. Headed for oil and filters now.

Best of luck to you bud. I'm very interested in the pressure readings.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Best of luck to you bud. I'm very interested in the pressure readings.
So am I! Decided to do a semi permanent mount for easier readings. I figure it would be nice to see pressures during temp swings and terrain changes as well. Curious because this set of clutches do not slip as bad cold and factory were much more pronounced. Installing today and going to go out and run everything tonight if pos

Last edited:
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck man. Thank you for the hard work, research and for keeping us updated.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good luck man. Hope you can put it off little while longer.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So am I! Decided to do a semi permanent mount to the roll bar for easier readings. I figure it would be nice to see pressures during temp swings and terrain changes as well. Curious because this set of clutches do not slip as bad cold and factory were much more pronounced. Installing today and going to go out and run everything tonight if pos

It would be really cool if you could take some readings in some controlled tests. Like Cold Start, Hot Start, Downhill, Uphill, Low RPM, High RPM, etc.

Actually, since you guys are getting some data if everyone could put heads together and come up with what on/off factors related to pressure we would want to test I could use a program at work Monday morning called Mini-tab to setup a DOE (Design of Experiment) and you could post the data and I could use it to tell us if any of the pressure changes were statistically significant and it could give some of you guys an idea of what, if anything should be pursued on the pressure side of things. Too bad there isn't a way to get an oil temperature and an actual reading of clutch slipping via an acclerometer or something. Of course, this is hopefully what the Honda engineering team is doing...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!