P1000 burnt clutches up with less than 400 miles

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So not to beat a dead horse here but it is possible to quick shift in manual to 2nd to get going on relatively flat smooth ground correct?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So not to beat a dead horse here but it is possible to quick shift in manual to 2nd to get going on relatively flat smooth ground correct?

1st will have to have enough to roll you. The machine won't really allow you to take off in second so you have to start in first but use it carefully to achieve 2nd. Once in 2nd it'll act as normal but you'll want to keep the rpm's up so it'll be high enough to skip the next gear when needed. My experiences have been pretty good with first having enough left to get you back.
Again just ride and have a good time don't worry so much if you have a problem just be smart about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We've actually swapped the odd clutches into the even clutch basket so it placed the good set into r,1,3,5 and the bad set in even spots, then continued to ride, just skipping the evens and that's much easier to drive. We did that when we got the machine back in pieces from the dealer so we could ride that weekend. That's a lot of work just to ride a weekend but I wasn't letting the family down.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
We've actually swapped the odd clutches into the even clutch basket so it placed the good set into r,1,3,5 and the bad set in even spots, then continued to ride, just skipping the evens and that's much easier to drive. We did that when we got the machine back in pieces from the dealer so we could ride that weekend. That's a lot of work just to ride a weekend but I wasn't letting the family down.

I like your style!
Do what it takes to get the job done that is a quality that is sadly disappearing.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks CP. hopefully if Honda doesn't beef up the clutches a aftermarket player will

Honda's working on it and so are a couple people here. Thanks to @snuffnwhisky and @Eltobgi for their proactive measures as well as time and parts and the support of others here on this site we will see soon possibly.

Reactions: AKRider and JTW
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I don't think it's due to clutches not being sturdy enough it's more of a pressure issue in the design.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry buddy i didnt know you were so sensitive. I was just kidding around.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't think it's due to clutches not being sturdy enough it's more of a pressure issue in the design.

Right there with ya!!!! But...stronger grippier clutches probably wouldn't slip as much either under those circumstances. But yes it's absolutely a pressure and/or heat issue.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
@Eltobgi had 3 plates fail from a bonding issue with the friction material to the plate. 1 disk looked almost new. More info in the supporting members forum about it and aftermarket disk option. @CumminsPusher had similar problems.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@Eltobgi had 3 plates fail from a bonding issue with the friction material to the plate. 1 disk looked almost new. More info in the supporting members forum about it and aftermarket disk option. @CumminsPusher had similar problems.
I wish he would've got more of the bad disks from me.

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cp do you want a set of 6 "lightly" used cummins spark plugs? F3f3a16d24cfc07a9a9412a2ea684129

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Cp do you want a set of 6 "lightly" used cummins spark plugs?F3f3a16d24cfc07a9a9412a2ea684129

I really prefer motors without all those wires going into them. It just seems like a waste of electricity

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Right there with ya!!!! But...stronger grippier clutches probably wouldn't slip as much either under those circumstances. But yes it's absolutely a pressure and/or heat issue.

Thinking about the heat issue. Wonder how many people had clutch issue in hot summer days versus winter riding. I know external heat may not help much. But it would be nice to know.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!