P1000 burnt clutches up with less than 400 miles

J

JTW

Well you need to to talk to Steve, Ray or Austin again who I know well. They said four of them so far. Did Steve give you a good price? He is offering me a good deal on one, but my 700 so far has been bullet proof and I am still leery of taking a chance on a 1000 with heat and clutch problems.
Hell, Steve is who told me they hadn't had any problems!
I traded in my p500 on mine.. but yes. My dad and a friend bought one like mine right after and they were 15,600 with a full hard roof. Mine was the same with trade.

When did they tell you about the clutch work done?

J

JTW

Ours were the deluxe model 16's. Where are you located? I have no regrets or fears after having bought and ridden mine..

Reactions: popeye
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what gets me. Anyone should be able to get behind the wheel and drive these machines, whatever their riding and driving style is. Grandma and Grandpa should be able to putt around, slow and steady, in auto, without a problem. We should be able to slowly back up a hill without worrying about burning up the clutches.

Now of course, if you really beat on the machine things are going to break. That's a given.
Yea I once owned a VW bus camper and was backing up a steeper grade and messed up the transmission too.???

Reactions: JTW
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so when your clutch lets go can you still limp home or are dead on the trail?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
so when your clutch lets go can you still limp home or are dead on the trail?
Usually speaking if the terrain isn't too rough you'll be OK. If your clutch ever gos shift directly into manual and stay in 2 4 or 6. Stay out of reverse as much as possible. You'll want to quick shift out of 1 3 and 5 and apply no or very little throttle in the odd gears. If you were to stay in second or fourth you can go forever

Last edited:
J

JTW

Usually speaking if the train isn't too rough you'll be OK. If your clutch ever gos shift directly into manual and stay in 2 4 or 6 yo want to quick shift out of 1 3 and 5 alloy no or very little throttle in the odd gears. If you were to stay in second or fourth you can go forever
And why is that?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
And why is that?

Because it's always the R 1 3 5 clutches that go out and they'll be slipping, the even gears will not because they are separate. Usually when the clutch fails it's quick and if you stay in any of those gears and you'll be s*** out of luck and not be able to get moving to go into second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good info CP - planning to do some longer jeep trails this summer ( not too rough or technical) rides and like the idea of being able to limp home if I'm 20 miles out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
good info CP - planning to do some longer jeep trails this summer ( not too rough or technical) rides and like the idea of being able to limp home if I'm 20 miles out.
Well have a good time and don't stress over it too much the likelihood of trouble is far and few in between. If anything happens just be smart about it. And remember pictures!

J

JTW

Because it's always the R 1 3 5 clutches that go out and they'll be slipping, the even gears will not because they are separate. Usually when the clutch fails it's quick and if you stay in any of those gears and you'll be s*** out of luck and not be able to get moving to go into second

I meant why are those the gears going out..

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Any time you start off your either in 1st gear or reverse. So if under a hard load and clutches slip it's in 1st or reverse. The clutch pack for 2 4 6 is not affected

J

JTW

Any time you start off your either in 1st gear or reverse. So if under a hard load and clutches slip it's in 1st or reverse. The clutch pack for 2 4 6 is not affected

JTW There are 2 separate clutches, one clutch controls R 1 3 5.... second clutch controls 2 4 6.....As far as I know there have been no issues with the latter. Bought my Pioneer in E- Town as well......:cool:
That makes sense.. I didn't realize there were two separate clutch packs.. I had heard that but it never sank in how that worked.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That makes sense.. I didn't realize there were two separate clutch packs.. I had heard that but it never sank in how that worked.

Here's the best picture I have it Sean one clutch pack off and the other one is still intact at the bottom Bb6df8c0780007360b030da2056d4abd
It's r 135 that is off

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!