Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey wanted to bring this up for emergency as a last case. I've known about this but haven't used it yet. A fellow member reminded me just now and it's important as a last case scenario.
The Pioneer has a limp home that does lock the transmission into 2nd. Its under the box barely towards the passenger side. Check the manual and follow directions exactly if needed. Since its second only you're speed obviously will be limited and your takeoff will hard on the second set of clutches.
You really should be able to get home without using this feature as long as you're careful imo but great last resort. There are enough tools in the kit to make use of this but follow instructions to a tee so oil isn't lost and leaked onto the exhaust is what I've been told

@txsurfer

Last edited:
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm very careful to avoid clutch damage. Today I got stuck a few times in 2 feet of icy snow. On the steep parts I could back up. On a near level spot it was dug in good. I tried to back up and hit the throttle good to get the wheels spinning. It would not turn the wheels and I just gave it a quick throttle hit. I dug behind all 4 wheels a bit and then back out without a problem and it was time to turn around. For extreme use I think the Pioneer 1000 will need lower gearing in reverse and low range. My Pioneer 700 was the same but it has a torque converter and its impossible to cause any damage if you get pissed off and hammer it. Now on my 2013 Polaris 900 Ranger a few of the guys got stuck bad and hammered it causing the reverse chain in the transmission to break and it usually jammed breaking the case too. Most of us that drive hard know how to avoid clutch damage and for the extreme use a Mud Model works best like the Highlifter models. The Polaris Highlifter model had a double row reverse chain. I doubt Honda will make any improvements until they offer a Mud Model with super low gearing and large mud tires. At least 30's or 32's are necessary in my opinion. I think some had clutch failure do the low oil pressure or defective clutch plates but when your stuck and the engine can't turn the wheels the clutch is working great and not slipping. I'm near 5,000 miles now and would be 13,000 but I put 8,600 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey wanted to bring this up for emergency as a last case. I've known about this but haven't used it yet. A fellow member reminded me just now and it's important as a last case scenario.
The Pioneer has a limp home that does lock the transmission into 2nd. Its under the box barely towards the passenger side. Check the manual and follow directions exactly if needed. This does limit your speed and since its second only you're speed obviously will be limited and your takeoff will hard on the second set of clutches.
You really should be able to get home without using this feature as long as you're careful imo but great last resort. There are enough tools in the kit to make use of this but follow instructions to a tee so oil isn't lost

@txsurfer
I thought the limp mode was about something else, HA

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
JMO the 1000 twin cylinder machine should spin the tires no matter what. If something breaks so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like to spin my wheels, HA

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I agree and was surprised when my wheels wouldn't turn with a quick WOT. Mine runs great so no problem with the engine power. My tires were near new and hooked up great in the icy snow. I dug down about 14 inches behind each tire and no problem backing up. I always carry a shovel, come-along, tow straps, and a section of chain. I need reliability so never abuse the clutch and it was the same way on my belt drive machines.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree and was surprised when my wheels wouldn't turn with a quick WOT. Mine runs great so no problem with the engine power. My tires were near new and hooked up great in the icy snow. I dug down about 14 inches behind each tire and no problem backing up. I always carry a shovel, come-along, tow straps, and a section of chain. I need reliability so never abuse the clutch and it was the same way on my belt drive machines.
I've abused the crap out of my 2004 Rancher and my 2005 Rincon. I've also put my 2016 P1KD-5 through some pretty serious stuff. I never worried on the the wheelers about being stranded. It's always in the back of my mind with the P1K. I still give it hell and will continue to do so. It's a Honda. If it can't take it Honda will lose the market just when they are trying to break into the SUV SxS market.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And if they think this will bode well for the "Talon"... well... I guess we'll see.

Reactions: JTW and Ridem32
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
All I can say is my PK5 has differential lock and no matter how deep the snow or mud is it should pull like hell and give me a chance to pop a axle or any other weak link. If the motor can't spin the tires might as well be a 2 wheel drive. I have never had mine in mud nor snow just use around my farm. But I will take it out this summer on rides. I have seen videos and read on here that in a bad pull they want spin the tires. That's a joke for a twin 1000.

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All I can say is my PK5 has differential lock and no matter how deep the snow or mud is it should pull like hell and give me a chance to pop a axle or any other weak link. If the motor can't spin the tires might as well be a 2 wheel drive. I have never had mine in mud nor snow just use around my farm. But I will take it out this summer on rides. I have seen videos and read on here that in a bad pull they want spin the tires. That's a joke for a twin 1000.

Hammer down... lol

J

JTW

I'm not a mud guy and we haven't had any snow.. but I still agree. It should dig 4 holes if I ask it! However, with the way mine has preformed so far.. I have no doubts. But we'll see!

Reactions: Ridem32 and AKRider
J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The whole idea behind a fully locked drivetrain is so you can lock all 4 wheels and keep them spinning and grabbing for traction. If this machine wont do that, then the 4 wheel lock is useless. Who the eff field tested these things before release, and how does Honda let these issues sit out here on the web with no solutions? I wont need this often, but when I do, it MUST work. Otherwise the machine is useless.

Reactions: Kyle13 and JTW
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have 500 miles of dune riding and light rock crawling and she always gets to the top..and in fact she out climbed my buddies wildcat 1000 in one steep section of dunes - not sure what all the fuss is about. I think too many people think these should run like a RZR or Maverick but I don't think that was ever the designers intent. I'd bet it will go places a ranger won't..no?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its hard to find snow that is like snow cone ice. I would have had no problem keeping in the throttle until it dug down and flat bottomed. It just requires a lot more shovel work or winching. I had 1 inch clearance on one side with the other side skid plate just touching the snow. The easiest way to get out was to dig out 1 foot of snow from behind each wheel and back it out. It will be interesting to see the sport models and I expect one model will use this 1000 engine package. The 2017 Pioneer 1000 may have a slightly higher rpm setting to engage the clutch and that may help some to get the wheels turning in extreme conditions. I would like to see a low geared mud model with 32's from the factory.

S

Sulli

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know there are a few threads about clutches burnt up, how many have had this issue? Big tires? Running in High range? Any HD clutch packs out there?

I'm running 30 inch tires now, I hope this wont be a reacurring issue, any imput would be great!!
ThanksView attachment 28557
I just got mine back from warranty, they replaced one of the clutches. The service manager told me they have done more than 100, don't know if he is over stating but I asked him and he repeated the claim. He says to ride it in low gear. So, I went and rode Ocala National Forest the next day in low gear and my temperature light came on after about an hour of riding 25-30mph. I let the machine cool down for 15 min. and rode it in high the rest of the day, no problem except for the heat coming from the dash and seat made in pretty uncomfortable, this was my first ride in warm conditions. I think Honda has a problem with this machine. Love it at home on the ranch, not loving it on the trails.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just got mine back from warranty, they replaced one of the clutches. The service manager told me they have done more than 100, don't know if he is over stating but I asked him and he repeated the claim. He says to ride it in low gear. So, I went and rode Ocala National Forest the next day in low gear and my temperature light came on after about an hour of riding 25-30mph. I let the machine cool down for 15 min. and rode it in high the rest of the day, no problem except for the heat coming from the dash and seat made in pretty uncomfortable, this was my first ride in warm conditions. I think Honda has a problem with this machine. Love it at home on the ranch, not loving it on the trails.

I wouldn't be riding it at 25+ in low. There's really no perfect recommendation for speed but normal riding high is fine unless lower speed sustained say under maybe 10-15 or so or terrain requires, hills or things the rig will struggle in. It is best to keep r's up but 30 in low sustained is probably way to high.
100 machines from one dealer does seem a bit of a stretch given the percentages but some dealers will have higher/lower percentages given terrain and riders. There is definitely something here more then just driver error in many cases so hopefully this gets solved soon.
The machine does get warm and will obviously get warmer with higher r's but heat shield and/or blower helps many in need of solutions.
Hopefully you have no more problems or at least this quickly and thankfully Honda took care of this.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!