Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have two Hobarts and they are great, I weld 1/4” steel with no problems. Never tried 3/8 but I don’t doubt it could do it.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok..So I'm in the market for a new MIG welder. Got a few projects I wanna tackle and a few some other people want done. I've narrowed the field down to two and just wanted some input. I know we have some welders and fabricators here. So any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Here's the two looking at: I like that they both are dual use for 110v and 220v

Hobart 500553 Handler 210 MVP For Use with SpoolRunner 100 - Arc Welding Equipment - Amazon.com

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set And Cart 951603 - - Amazon.com

I just bought a Hobart Handler 210 MVP for Christmas and couldn't be happier. That thing will weld paper thin to 1/2", plus aluminum or stainless with a spool gun.
I used to be better than I thought I was as a make my living welder...but seriously, I have a friend who is the real deal managing an Industrial Fab shop.
He thinks the Hobart is the best mig with 110v/ 220v range welder. He's all about blue, too. Hobart and Miller are same company and distinctly similar welders. The guts are metal just like Miller.
Hobart is less money, but same quality.
Hobart has a 3 yr. warranty.

I'd highly recommend.

Jim

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20200101 153110

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I was in the same debate about a year ago, I was going to go with the Hobart as I have liked ones I've used in the past. The local welding supply place had the Miller 211 on sale. The salesman (who I know and trust) mentioned that there are some things inside the Hobart that are plastic, while the Miller uses aluminum. I know that is vague, but it's been a year, so I can't remember the details.

The other difference is the auto set feature, I'm embarrassed to say I have used it, usually after the kids have messed up my settings, lol.

I ended up getting the Miller for $1100 OTD. I couldn't be happier with it, the arc is more crisp than any $3-5k 252 or 350p I've used.

I'm sure I would have been happy with the Hobart as well, as I know they are a great machine, but for the price I got, I couldn't refuse. I wouldn't shy away from other brands either. My buddy manages a Fab shop and owns and loves an Eastwood. Part of the reason I chose the Miller since that's what my local dealer carried, so parts would be easier.

Reactions: JTW
C

cain0725

Dec 13, 2019
Ar
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
nice to wish though

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I went completely the opposite direction with my plaz, I couldn't justify $1800 for the one I wanted, and since I don't *need* one, I got a version of this

LOTOS LT5000D 50A Air Inverter Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 110/220VAC 1/2" Clean Cut (Special Deal by The end of This Week) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VFJL14/?tag=sxsweb24-20

For the price, it's hard to beat, so far its already paid for its self.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Rocket

Rocket

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2018
Bullard, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check out the Hobart 210 mvp for the money... miller owns them. I’ve had mine for a while now and have it setup to run aluminum or steel. Just added a plasma cutter and I’m really happy with my setup.

thanks ! If it’ll save me a few hundred,, I’m all in!! Looks like they are $500 cheaper than the Miller 211

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

thanks ! If it’ll save me a few hundred,, I’m all in!! Looks like they are $500 cheaper than the Miller 211
Yes.. and I’m curious if those plastics parts can be swapped out to the aluminum if I ever have a problem one day. But in reality, I don’t think it’s going to be an issue. There are a lot of guys on the welding forums that have been welding with them a whole lot more than I am!

Reactions: Tramguage1
J

JTW

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!