Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought it was a decent price. I'll have to try it in person though.Is that a new pipe bender I see? @Delton
No that's the metal bender I've had for couple years now. Haven't used it much in the past. That may change in the future though. It's great for making mounting brackets lol.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used Joey's Eastwood couple weeks ago. Couldn't tell any difference between it and the 3K dollar Millers we have at work. Plus they have a 3yr warranty compared to 1 yr for the Miller.

I'm still waiting on you to get real good with that TIG so you can teach me! And don't forget that I'll probably have a few aluminum projects once you get good at welding aluminum.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still waiting on you to get real good with that TIG so you can teach me! And don't forget that I'll probably have a few aluminum projects once you get good at welding aluminum.
I can see where tig has its advantages. But I don't think I have the patience to learn

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see where tig has its advantages. But I don't think I have the patience to learn
I've already ran into a few instances where removing splatter is almost impossible. Sometimes finesse is better. Looking forward to the learning part. I enjoy welding as much as riding (seriously). Guess I should've chosen a different career path huh?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Aluminum is gonna open up some more opportunities as far as mods go. Don't think I've ever been so impatient waiting on a paycheck lmao.

Reactions: joeymt33
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok..So I'm in the market for a new MIG welder. Got a few projects I wanna tackle and a few some other people want done. I've narrowed the field down to two and just wanted some input. I know we have some welders and fabricators here. So any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Here's the two looking at: I like that they both are dual use for 110v and 220v

Hobart 500553 Handler 210 MVP For Use with SpoolRunner 100 - Arc Welding Equipment - Amazon.com

Millermatic 211 MIG Welder With Advanced Auto-Set And Cart 951603 - - Amazon.com

I have the Miller 211 auto set. Can't say enough good about it. Hobart was my other choice as well. I went Miller because I have other Miller products and have never had a problem and the local dealer was able to get the price within reason with some promo's that were available.
Either way you can't go wrong. Good products from reputable companies.

IMG 0490

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Of your two choices I'd say be honest with yourself about how much use they'll get. If it's just light use on weekends a few times a year the Hobart is probably fine. If it's going to be significantly more than that go with the Miller.

Personally I've never seen a Hobart used in a commercial setting.

Get a machine that offers the most adjustability. I would never buy a mig welder that I couldn't adjust wire speed and amperage independently, and some Hobarts are that way (only one knob).

I own a Hobart engine driven stick welder and I'm happy with it. I also have two Lincoln's at home and two at work (one small 110/220, and one full size 220 only) and what I've learned is the full size welders give me no trouble at all and the small ones need a little attention occasionally. Something to consider if it's in your budget to just go with a full size machine.

Also @GlockMeister, how thick of metal are you wanting to weld?

Lastly, plasma cutters were brought up so I just have to give my opinion there too! Hypertherm has been the best forever and personally that is what I own. However a close second is Thermal Dynamics by Victor (what I use at work). With the price difference you get a lot more machine with Victor. From what I've always heard every other plasma machine is junk!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Of your two choices I'd say be honest with yourself about how much use they'll get. If it's just light use on weekends a few times a year the Hobart is probably fine. If it's going to be significantly more than that go with the Miller.

Personally I've never seen a Hobart used in a commercial setting.

Get a machine that offers the most adjustability. I would never buy a mig welder that I couldn't adjust wire speed and amperage independently, and some Hobarts are that way (only one knob).

I own a Hobart engine driven stick welder and I'm happy with it. I also have two Lincoln's at home and two at work (one small 110/220, and one full size 220 only) and what I've learned is the full size welders give me no trouble at all and the small ones need a little attention occasionally. Something to consider if it's in your budget to just go with a full size machine.

Also @GlockMeister, how thick of metal are you wanting to weld?

Lastly, plasma cutters were brought up so I just have to give my opinion there too! Hypertherm has been the best forever and personally that is what I own. However a close second is Thermal Dynamics by Victor (what I use at work). With the price difference you get a lot more machine with Victor. From what I've always heard every other plasma machine is junk!
I agree with all of above. I used to have a smaller Hobart 110v about 15 years ago for 6 months or so. The main thing I remember was the wire feed motor was weak and finicky. You had to the the gun cable straight, tension set right and a good tip. My father had a small Miller like it that was similar but not as bad. Sold the Hobart and got a slightly used Miller 250 with no problems for 15 years now. 15 year old Thermal Dynamics at home that works fine. Newer Hypertherm machines are better. Just bought a Hypertherm Powermax85 at work and is bad a**. Consumable life is a lot better and consumables are expensive.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've used both machines. The miller has the smoothest feed rate of any and the most adjustability.

You can get the machine a lot cheaper. I found it for $1078. That's only $150 more than the Hobart.

Does that help?

Millermatic 211 Mig Welder [HASHTAG]#907614[/HASHTAG] | Miller Welder [HASHTAG]#907422[/HASHTAG] | Millermatic 211 | MIG Welder | Miller 211 | Welding Machine | Welder | Welders Supply Company Beloit-Big Bend-Burlington Wisconsin and Rockford & Crystal Lake, Illinois

Gator has a good point. If you shop and work with your local Miller dealer you can get within a couple hundred or less of the Hobart.
Have fun and make cool stuff with which ever one you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the great feed back guys. This is why I love this place.@Tflynn I'm looking to weld at least 3/8. I have an old Lincoln buzz box for anything thicker. I have a few odd jobs some people are wanting me to do..One is a trailer mounted smoker made from a 500 gal propane tank. And I can't let @Delton be the only one to have his own cool custom bumpers. I'm by no means a professional welder and other than the occasional project here and there I don't need a professional grade welder. I am leaning towards the miller though.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've used both machines. The miller has the smoothest feed rate of any and the most adjustability.

You can get the machine a lot cheaper. I found it for $1078. That's only $150 more than the Hobart.

Does that help?

Millermatic 211 Mig Welder [HASHTAG]#907614[/HASHTAG] | Miller Welder [HASHTAG]#907422[/HASHTAG] | Millermatic 211 | MIG Welder | Miller 211 | Welding Machine | Welder | Welders Supply Company Beloit-Big Bend-Burlington Wisconsin and Rockford & Crystal Lake, Illinois
Thanks for the link @Gator I have found some cheaper as well. I just posted those for examples.

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the great feed back guys. This is why I love this place.@Tflynn I'm looking to weld at least 3/8. I have an old Lincoln buzz box for anything thicker. I have a few odd jobs some people are wanting me to do..One is a trailer mounted smoker made from a 500 gal propane tank. And I can't let @Delton be the only one to have his own cool custom bumpers. I'm by no means a professional welder and other than the occasional project here and there I don't need a professional grade welder. I am leaning towards the miller though.
That 211 will make anyone a good welder. It's very forgiving when setting the wire speed and heat.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That 211 will make anyone a good welder. It's very forgiving when setting the wire speed and heat.
That's what I'm leaning towards. Gonna try to check out that used one on c-list this weekend.

Reactions: sharp
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Only reason I ask is sometimes when they give ratings on the smaller machines they give them based off of using inner shield wire, not mig wire. Inner shield burns hotter but leaves slag like a stick welder. Because innershield burns so much hotter they can rate the machine higher, as in, claim it will weld up to 5/16 thick steel, which it will with innershield, but actually it can only weld 1/8 steel with mig. I much prefer mig over innershield, as I think most do. sorry if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you already know, just trying to help you avoid any unpleasant surprises.

So guys with those two welders, how thick can you go?

J

JTW

Only reason I ask is sometimes when they give ratings on the smaller machines they give them based off of using inner shield wire, not mig wire. Inner shield burns hotter but leaves slag like a stick welder. Because innershield burns so much hotter they can rate the machine higher, as in, claim it will weld up to 5/16 thick steel, which it will with innershield, but actually it can only weld 1/8 steel with mig. I much prefer mig over innershield, as I think most do. sorry if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you already know, just trying to help you avoid any unpleasant surprises.

So guys with those two welders, how thick can you go?
3/8th on the Hobart..

Reactions: GlockMeister
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Both claim 3/8". I've used the miller to weld 1/2". Don't plan to do much of that.
Miller rated the 211 for 150 amps at 30% duty cycle. 3/8" is a strain but it hasn't puked yet.

Rocket

Rocket

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2018
Bullard, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Does that help?

thanks I’m also in the market

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks I’m also in the market
That 211 is hard to beat. I finally had to replace liner in mine few months ago. Original was in there well over 5 years lol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!