100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure there are many more gun owners here than let on which is all fine and dandy, I respect everyones right to privacy and I don't know what you keep in them, but I'm hoping folks here can forward any advice for purchasing a safe. Do any of you guys like what you have, and or have any complaints? Recommendations? It's a big chunk of cash but I need something to protect my assests here on the farm. I've been using those cheap Stack On lockers but I really want to make a good investment for my investments. There are lots of safe companies claiming this or that, but I trust y'alls judgement and advice more. Thanks for any advices given!

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've found they only hold half of what they advertise, especially if you have bolt actions w/ scopes. I agree with @Koda , buy as large as you can handle or have room for. This is coming from a guy with two full size and one half-safe. I could use another.

J

JTW

Here’s the thing... your insurance should cover fire loss. It doesn’t however cover theft. Not unless you have an individual rider for every gun. So, worry less about fire as they aren’t going to survive a raging inferno anyway. And think more along the lines of out of sight out of mind as well as location for a safe to make it as difficult as possible to break into your safe. Liberty Fatboy was the best bang for the buck when I was looking. If someone comes prepared, they’re going to get in regardless. I just don’t want the average meth head with a prybar getting the goods.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm certainly no expert but I have a Winchester from Tractor Supply and it has served me well. As somebody has already said bigger is better. Buy bigger than you think you need.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree with @JTW I'd worry more about theft than fire. As a matter of fact, actually built one into a false chimney chase void at our old place. You lifted the entire sidewall up and away to access it. The trim and everything came with so it was all one piece. I bet you could find a place in your farmhouse. You seem pretty creative! LOL!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Defiantly get a big one, if you think one is too big just give it a couple of years you will grow into it. Lol Also a digital key pad takes a fraction of the time it takes to open than one with a dial. Don't worry about the battery dying, it can open about 5000 times before it dies If it does you can change the battery out on the key pad without opening the safe. Another thing you might want to think about after you have picked out the one you want is looks. If your going to put it out in the living room or something you might want to consider a shiny that looks like a nice piece of furniture. If not and you want to put in a garage you could get one with more of a reserved appearance and save a few bucks. I have a champion trophy and love it, many configurations can be made on the inside. Good luck

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm sure there are many more gun owners here than let on which is all fine and dandy, I respect everyones right to privacy and I don't know what you keep in them, but I'm hoping folks here can forward any advice for purchasing a safe. Do any of you guys like what you have, and or have any complaints? Recommendations? It's a big chunk of cash but I need something to protect my assests here on the farm. I've been using those cheap Stack On lockers but I really want to make a good investment for my investments. There are lots of safe companies claiming this or that, but I trust y'alls judgement and advice more. Thanks for any advices given!

I have been extremely happy with my Liberty Presidential 50 safe, 2.5 hours fire rating at 1850 degrees, weighing in at 1680 lbs isn't going to walk off. Unconditional lifetime warranty . Had mine since 2013. They list around $7600 but got mine outright from a platinum dealer special order for $4600. Went with that size because it hold 50 BMG rifles easily and the fire rating.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Every make has a different fire rating for temp and hours. It's a joke and a marketing scheme. Many can be easily broken into with a pry bar. They have thin walls. The older safes are better made and a safe from a box store is a cheap pos. I bought a 20 year old Fort Knox with a 5/8" thick plate door. Just the safe weighs over 2000lbs. It's very difficult to move! They dont even make a safe as heavy as mine anymore.

Browse classifieds for old safes or go to an actual safe dealer. If it doesn't weigh over 1500lbs it's not worth buying. Buy the biggest one you can find.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S

saw1

Apr 17, 2018
Fallon, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a couple of Browning's and they have served me well. FYI if you use the storage solutions rods down the gun barrels, you can stand the long guns straight up, they take up less room and you can store more, this especially works well for scoped rifles.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What do you guys think of jewelry safes?

Reactions: sharp
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Just so everyone is clear what we are all really discussing are called residential security containers and can not in any way, shape or form be called actual safes. If you do your homework you will find out that the so called fire ratings are pretty much a myth. Your stuff may not actually burn, but will be ruined anyway. The insulation is a type of drywall. It works by outgassing moisture to keep the contents cooler. What do you think happens to your stuff when that moisture is outgassed?

If you are worried about fire then the location is key. I have mine in a basement pantry in a corner of two concrete walls and up off the floor about 8" (in case of water). Heat goes up and concrete is a great fire repellent.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the liberty USA48 gun safe. If you go any bigger you better prepare to mount it to concrete and then build around it, cause it's a heavy sumbich.If you find you need bigger buy a second one.I would go with mechanical lock"Period". Theft was my concern and fire. Yes I have insurance but insurance can't replace what my dads dad handed down to me. They're value can never be replaced. I keep a fire lock box on the bottom for titles and paper stuff.
Mount that sucker down to concrete and make it so it slides into a spot where you can't get a grinder to the back or to the sides. Because that is there weakness.On the top of mine I have a Four foot by six foot fire blanket that hangs down over the front. This way in case of a fire you have heat kept down. You don't want everyone to be able to see it. Best if knowone knows it's there. That way if you get broke into it's not likely they will bring a bag of safe cutting tools. Also if you can mount it some where in the place that is least likely to be burned area. A lot of times these safes make it through the fire but they fall through the burnt floor and the firemen soak them to hell. Concrete or steel floor. And in a tight spot you can't get your hands along side or behind.;)

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ditto on the size. I can't get more than half the guns that mine is supposed to hold.

I also believe in a dial verses digital. I think it's an old school mind set, combined with every piece of electronics I've ever had eventually dies.

NOTE: State Farm told me that only $1,000(?) of my guns were covered under my home owners, unless I carry a policy on them. Talk to your insurance and make sure.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Floors in my house are only made of wood I have no ability to put in a concrete slab. Maybe I can run the boats all the way through the floor and bolt them from the basement. It’s not really a basement it’s more like a crawlspace.

Reactions: swsebek and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!