mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I absolutely love my 50G Browning. The interior is very modular, they make all kinds of different shelves for it.
I almost went with a Fatboy, and still think it is the best bang for the buck, but my better half decided to get me a safe for Christmas, & spent 3-4 times more dough hahaha!
I like the height of my browning vs the fatboy. It gives me room for a ton of handguns & other stuff.
As has been said, buy twice the size you think you need. It probably still won’t be enough.

J

JTW

I absolutely love my 50G Browning. The interior is very modular, they make all kinds of different shelves for it.
I almost went with a Fatboy, and still think it is the best bang for the buck, but my better half decided to get me a safe for Christmas, & spent 3-4 times more dough hahaha!
I like the height of my browning vs the fatboy. It gives me room for a ton of handguns & other stuff.
As has been said, buy twice the size you think you need. It probably still won’t be enough.
That’s true.. I do wish mine was a little taller

Reactions: sharp
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Many great recommendations above. Personally, I have seen a very high quality one ripped open with a 4" cutting wheel, so a couple of comments would be: a) put the safe in a place where visitors, etc., will not see it, no reason for anyone to know you have it; b) install an alarm inside the safe, many models out there which will send you a note/text if a problem is occurring and c) install a trail camera or two to capture the license plate of anyone entering/exiting the property....

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I just won a safe from a local auction. It's a Mosler Jewelry safe. With a 2 hour fire rating. It's not as big as I'd like but I got it at a great value $1,760 includes sellers cost. It requires a key and combination to open it. Interior height is about 60". It has bars on all insides of the door. There were four different safes up for auction and this one drew the most bids. I went out to look at them yesterday. Today, while playing the auction, I watched while making venison sausage...
IMG 0219
IMG 0220

J

JTW

I think I just won a safe from a local auction. It's a Mosler Jewelry safe. With a 2 hour fire rating. It's not as big as I'd like but I got it at a great value. It requires a key and combination to open it. Interior height is about 60". It has bars on all insides of the door. There were four different safes up for auction and this one drew the most bids. I went out to look at them yesterday. Today, while playing the auction, I watched while making venison sausage...
View attachment 95659 View attachment 95660 View attachment 95661
Awesome!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a former volley FD member and truck captain, I can assure you that there aren’t any good locations for a fire safe.

All end up in the basement....period it’s just a matter of time before they end up there if they were not there in the event of a fire.

When I crank up the fire engine rollin a 1500gpm pump pushin water to 4 lines your basement will be a pool in short order.

Ive never seen firearms survive in a fire safe before. All end up in the basement flooded and ‘quenched’.

With today’s lightweight construction most houses are near the 15 mins or less to full engulf. 3-4 for safe egress.

Modern Homes & Increased Fire Risk | Safeco Blog

Factor in that typical response time in a city is 5 mins or so to arrive leaves very little time to save the house. Odds are dramatically reduced the further from town you are.

As others have stated they are theft deterrent devices at best.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a former volley FD member and truck captain, I can assure you that there aren’t any good locations for a fire safe.

All end up in the basement....period it’s just a matter of time before they end up there if they were not there in the event of a fire.

When I crank up the fire engine rollin a 1500gpm pump pushin water to 4 lines your basement will be a pool in short order.

Ive never seen firearms survive in a fire safe before. All end up in the basement flooded and ‘quenched’.

With today’s lightweight construction most houses are near the 15 mins or less to full engulf. 3-4 for safe egress.

Factor in that typical response time in a city is 5 mins or so to arrive leaves very little time to save the house. Odds are dramatically reduced the further from town you are.

Thanks, I live in the country and have a crawl space. It won't be going down there for sure!
I got it for securing valuables from theft mainly.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

FIL was a Chief at two stations, and is disaster preparedness instructor, he opened my eyes to the fire dangers in a home when we were building. There are 100k pages of life safety code for commercial but very limited fire code for residential...WTF?

New houses suck for safety, I basically have a light commercial fire alarm in my house and I check the detectors once a month...Alarm is just to get us OUT, insurance is for the house. I WISH I could have afforded a residential sprinkler system. I am paranoid I have a 2hr document/data fire safe in a 90min Gun Fire safe...in our 16" thick poured Tornado shelter with a 2hr fire/tornado rated door. Since we are in "Dixie Alley" and its becoming more active than tornado alley, FIL actually pitched in for the poured Tornado shelter for his daughter and granddaughter when he heard that was the plan.

J

JTW

FIL was a Chief at two stations, and is disaster preparedness instructor, he opened my eyes to the fire dangers in a home when we were building. There are 100k pages of life safety code for commercial but very limited fire code for residential...WTF?

New houses suck for safety, I basically have a light commercial fire alarm in my house and I check the detectors once a month...Alarm is just to get us OUT, insurance is for the house. I WISH I could have afforded a residential sprinkler system. I am paranoid I have a 2hr document/data fire safe in a 90min Gun Fire safe...in our 16" thick poured Tornado shelter with a 2hr fire/tornado rated door. Since we are in "Dixie Alley" and its becoming more active than tornado alley, FIL actually pitched in for the poured Tornado shelter for his daughter and granddaughter when he heard that was the plan.
Lol.. he didn’t give a s*** about you huh?

Reactions: sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think I just won a safe from a local auction. It's a Mosler Jewelry safe. With a 2 hour fire rating. It's not as big as I'd like but I got it at a great value $1,760 includes sellers cost. It requires a key and combination to open it. Interior height is about 60". It has bars on all insides of the door. There were four different safes up for auction and this one drew the most bids. I went out to look at them yesterday. Today, while playing the auction, I watched while making venison sausage...
View attachment 95659 View attachment 95660 View attachment 95661
Dude that is awesome. Way better than "safes" at the box store! Nice score

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have a safe inside a safe. Just dont have the shelter yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!