Buying my first sxs, help?

G

Gswanson89

Mar 26, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey everyone! I was resistant at first, but I'm coming around and planning on buying my first sxs when the dealerships open back up. I'm torn between a talon or a p1k3. I intend to 99% use for trail riding, so I know the talon would probably be a better choice, but I like the idea of the utility potential of the pioneer. I have a few main questions. Is the talon that much better on trails then the pioneer? Does the talon do ok plowing snow? (I'm sure the p1k is better suited but I just need to know if the talon will get the job done) last but not least, are the extra 4" on the talonR an issue in northern PA woods?

I've been trolling around a little while and it feels good to sign up!

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State.

I think the Talon will plow like a mutha :cool:

#NTC 🇺🇲

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
That really is a tough decision I've been struggling with myself for quite some time. I've decided to keep my P3 for now for these reasons.
1. Talon is i4WD only with a locked rear end. Pioneer you can have turf mode "one wheel drive", 2 wheel drive "locked rear end", 4WD "locked rear and open front" 3 wheel drive basically. and last but not least a true locking front end not available on Talon.
2. Cargo space, bed area
3. I've heard Talons are not good beer cruisers ? cruising along at lower speeds, I do not know about that one but I've heard it said before.
4. You can add Fox,Elka,Walker Evans or any shock for a better ride. I went with the Fox's ;)

The talons will have more power,speed,suspension travel,better looks, ect....

Last edited:
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have had 3 SXS, starting with a Polaris RZR800 with the low end shocks/suspension, to the RZR 1000 with custom suspension and now the Honda Talon R. In my opinion, the ride is the most important feature. If your machine doesn't ride well, that causes fatigue and discomfort. Requiring you to go slower over terrain. When I upgraded my shocks in my 800RZR, it was a different machine. Same with the 1000.

I have driven both the X and the R and I bought the R because of the long travel suspension. I also have driven a Pioneer, but while they can go the same places as the Talon, the suspension is not comparable to the X or the R. Out of the box, the R rode better than my RZR1000 with $1300 upgraded suspension. The X rode like my old 800, good, but far out classed by the R.

If you can reduce vibration, noise and keep temperature comfortable, that reduces fatigue and increases enjoyment. I would recommend the R.

Ps. I sold my 800 with over 6000 miles, my 1000 with 11,000 miles and I have 2000 miles on my Talon R.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!