P1000 Cabin heat and storage

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I've ordered a pioneer 1000-3 to replace a ranger 900xp. I am ordering it with a cab heater that is supposed to be installed under the driver seat. Is there anyway to relocate that heater behind the dash, under the hood, out of the way on the floor board? By doing this you would free up under the seat for storage.
Also does the cab heat kit come with heat vents pointed at the glass? I've heard there are 6 vents but where are they located?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Mine is a 2016 with factory heater. It's under the seat and I've done some modifications to it. I've made higher legs to raise the heater up so that the blower motor sits almost up to the bottom of the seat. I've done this so that there's less chance of water getting into the heater and air lines. I've thought of moving it into the cab but I like the room in the cab. As for vents I've changed them as well. I left the ones behind your legs were they are. The two that were in the center front lower dash area have been completly blocked off. I did this because I really don't think there needed. This way I was able to get one air line for each defroster, rather then two defrosters using the same air line.,by way of a Y in the line. I get more air to each defroster. I did do a change on the defroster as well by adding in one closer to the right side of the speedo. I still kept the one that blows on the left side of the speedo by adding the Y and feeding both the ones on each side of the speedo. The other thing I did was instead of using the vents that came with the heater for the defroster I added in abs pipe and installed a long 90 degree elbow for each defroster. The defroster keeps the windshield basically frost free. One other main thing is the cab has many air leaks so you do have to spend quite a bit of time sealing up all the air leaks. There is a guy on here goes by [ Montanna ] that makes and sells covers for the shifters etc: . I did make my own . I'll try and take a picture of my vents and dash and post the pic.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Mine is a 2016 with factory heater. It's under the seat and I've done some modifications to it. I've made higher legs to raise the heater up so that the blower motor sits almost up to the bottom of the seat. I've done this so that there's less chance of water getting into the heater and air lines. I've thought of moving it into the cab but I like the room in the cab. As for vents I've changed them as well. I left the ones behind your legs were they are. The two that were in the center front lower dash area have been completly blocked off. I did this because I really don't think there needed. This way I was able to get one air line for each defroster, rather then two defrosters using the same air line.,by way of a Y in the line. I get more air to each defroster. I did do a change on the defroster as well by adding in one closer to the right side of the speedo. I still kept the one that blows on the left side of the speedo by adding the Y and feeding both the ones on each side of the speedo. The other thing I did was instead of using the vents that came with the heater for the defroster I added in abs pipe and installed a long 90 degree elbow for each defroster. The defroster keeps the windshield basically frost free. One other main thing is the cab has many air leaks so you do have to spend quite a bit of time sealing up all the air leaks. There is a guy on here goes by [ Montanna ] that makes and sells covers for the shifters etc: . I did make my own . I'll try and take a picture of my vents and dash and post the pic.
This is great information. Your honda looks awesome in the picture. I've always wanted to get tracks for a sxs but here in Nebraska the snow is to hit and miss to justify them. I would appreciate pictures of your vents.
How feasible do you think it would be to mount the factory heater somewhere in the dash? Or under the hood?
Does the air leak through the doors, roof, or windows? Or is it through the steering column and shift plates?
I'm replacing a 2016 900xp with soft doors, windshield with wiper, and back plastic windshield. The first calving season I had it, it was a dream. The doors, windows, and roof never leaked air. If you were going into a north wind under 20°F you could really feel it pouring through the steering column, front floor, and shifter. They aren't as air tight as some people claim.
I'd have never considered getting rid of that machine if it wasn't for breakdowns. I used it for work and it wasn't necessarily easy, but it didn't handle it well. I broke the frame in two places, had to replace the transmission, broken belts, more wheel bearings and brakes than can be counted. Add in a couple steering gears and new front differential and I've decided it's time to try something new. Oh ya, forgot at least three new drive shafts.
Bottom line is I've been told the pioneer cab is not nearly as nice as a ranger. I'm excited to try it out and get some details on how you've improved the stock heater, where the air leaks are, and how you sealed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I have this installed in a 2021 1000-5. Have not been in cold weather yet so i can not say. Putting a heater
under your seat and running 6 ft non insulated heat ducts did not make sense. Plus i would lose storage and could get wet. I also changed the cup holders to heat vents, ( Drinks kept jumping out, Best in door ) now i have more for windshield and side doors. Check out install instructions on both heaters and see what you think.

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I would appreciate pictures of your vents.
How feasible do you think it would be to mount the factory heater somewhere in the dash? Or under the hood?
Does the air leak through the doors, roof, or windows? Or is it through the steering column and shift plates?
I'm excited to try it out and get some details on how you've improved the stock heater, where the air leaks are, and how you sealed them.
Here's some pics. The Steering column I used some 1/8" aluminum and made it fit around the steering wheel shaft etc; off course I can't adjust the steering wheel tilt now , but set it where I wanted it and built around it. Here's pics of the vents that blow against the windshield . I used 1 1/2" abs pipe and joiners . I made the pipe long enough so that I could put the hose onto the underside and cut about 1/4" of the joiner and glued it on the bottom side to hold it from coming up . I used a rubber inner tube to make a gasket . The upper part of the pipe I used a piece of the joiner pipe as we and just screwed it over the top area to hole the pipe tight in place.Then just slipped a elbow over the pipe and it just friction fit , this way I can turn it anyway etc:. The shifter holes need to be sealed up as well , but you can buy the plates from this site. I don't think there's enough room to put the heater under the hood. On my Pioneer 700 I had made my own heater and mounted it under the dash in the center. I guess the heater could be mounted inside the cab under the dash if you really want. It would take some doing on your part to make it work. There wasn't really any air leakage around the floor . There is a fair amount of air comes in around the bottom side of the roof and the top of the windshield .I ended up putting some silicone up in that area from the inside. I modified my windshield to open and get fresh air wind in the summer time.But that's covered in a different post , on this site. Best I can offer for sealing up the air leaks is to use extra foam etc: were ever you find air leaks. Like I've mentioned many times no heater will keep your cab warm if you have cold air leaking in all over the place. I have mine sealed up really good to the point that even in -35 it's pretty decient in my cab. It does cool down while driving down roads etc: with tires on. but I still don't need gloves on. With tracks on the machine is way slower like about 35% but because of the work involved in turning the tracks it gets to hot at times and I need to open windows . Hope this helps.

IMG 3886 IMG 3888 IMG 3883 IMG 3881 IMG 3885 IMG 3218

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Here's some pics. The Steering column I used some 1/8" aluminum and made it fit around the steering wheel shaft etc; off course I can't adjust the steering wheel tilt now , but set it where I wanted it and built around it. Here's pics of the vents that blow against the windshield . I used 1 1/2" abs pipe and joiners . I made the pipe long enough so that I could put the hose onto the underside and cut about 1/4" of the joiner and glued it on the bottom side to hold it from coming up . I used a rubber inner tube to make a gasket . The upper part of the pipe I used a piece of the joiner pipe as we and just screwed it over the top area to hole the pipe tight in place.Then just slipped a elbow over the pipe and it just friction fit , this way I can turn it anyway etc:. The shifter holes need to be sealed up as well , but you can buy the plates from this site. I don't think there's enough room to put the heater under the hood. On my Pioneer 700 I had made my own heater and mounted it under the dash in the center. I guess the heater could be mounted inside the cab under the dash if you really want. It would take some doing on your part to make it work. There wasn't really any air leakage around the floor . There is a fair amount of air comes in around the bottom side of the roof and the top of the windshield .I ended up putting some silicone up in that area from the inside. I modified my windshield to open and get fresh air wind in the summer time.But that's covered in a different post , on this site. Best I can offer for sealing up the air leaks is to use extra foam etc: were ever you find air leaks. Like I've mentioned many times no heater will keep your cab warm if you have cold air leaking in all over the place. I have mine sealed up really good to the point that even in -35 it's pretty decient in my cab. It does cool down while driving down roads etc: with tires on. but I still don't need gloves on. With tracks on the machine is way slower like about 35% but because of the work involved in turning the tracks it gets to hot at times and I need to open windows . Hope this helps.

View attachment 298933 View attachment 298935 View attachment 298936 View attachment 298937 View attachment 298938 View attachment 298943
Thanks for the information and ideas

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Yes I have this installed in a 2021 1000-5. Have not been in cold weather yet so i can not say. Putting a heater
under your seat and running 6 ft non insulated heat ducts did not make sense. Plus i would lose storage and could get wet. I also changed the cup holders to heat vents, ( Drinks kept jumping out, Best in door ) now i have more for windshield and side doors. Check out install instructions on both heaters and see what you think.
We share the same opinions. I'll be doing the ice crusher option whenever my machine shows up.

J

Justonly

Feb 16, 2021
Mound, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ice crusher heaters was working on a aux pump that would give you heat with the pioneer idling in the driveway.
What Vikings79 was saying is true. You will have to work the motor for some time before you will get good heat out of it.

advertisement
I

IdahoSxS

May 15, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 298933 View attachment 298935 View attachment 298936 View attachment 298937 View attachment 298938 View attachment 298943
Great ideas. Did you make your steering column plate in two pieces or one piece with a vertical slot with cutouts for column and position adjuster, etc? I've been trying different things to block the air but no luck yet. It was 5-degrees today and the cold air coming past the column was not too fun.

Reactions: Lady01
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Great ideas. Did you make your steering column plate in two pieces or one piece with a vertical slot with cutouts for column and position adjuster, etc? I've been trying different things to block the air but no luck yet. It was 5-degrees today and the cold air coming past the column was not too fun.
Two pieces [aluminum] just cut outs for the column and adjuster .I made a template out of cardboard [cereal box] first to get perfect fit then transferred to the aluminum . The column is set to where I wanted it to be . It's no longer adjustable. Used stick on weather striping all the way around then down the center seam where the plates join. Around the column and adjuster used clear silicone to seal up.
Do yourself a favor before you seal that area up pull out your light switch and put silicone all around the backside of the switch into all the slots. I left a small area silicone free near the bottom just for drainage . It's amazing how much cold air comes through the switch.

Reactions: IdahoSxS and Lady01
I

IdahoSxS

May 15, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the info on the plate and light switch. Did you make any mods for air around the brake pedal spring?

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ice crusher heaters was working on a aux pump that would give you heat with the pioneer idling in the driveway.
What Vikings79 was saying is true. You will have to work the motor for some time before you will get good heat out of it.
I have an ice crusher too.I just covered the radiator 3/4 with cardboard, with tracks today going 30 on the road I heated up to 3 bars,I stopped and pulled cardboard half off and it went to 2 bars, lots of heat in cab though, it was pretty warm today though, low 20s.I also have the maxi stat.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Thanks for the info on the plate and light switch. Did you make any mods for air around the brake pedal spring?
Sorry for being late in responding. Around the spring I used some copper tubing foam insulation . The rest of the area around gas pedal and stuff I used silcone and sealed it off as good as I could. to fill in the Bigger areas used the foam pipe wrap and them siliconed in place. I had to remove the silicone once when I was taken in for the gas pedal recall . I just redid it after it came home. It's sealed up pretty good because I don't even get any water coming through in the summer time.

I

IdahoSxS

May 15, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for being late in responding. Around the spring I used some copper tubing foam insulation . The rest of the area around gas pedal and stuff I used silcone and sealed it off as good as I could. to fill in the Bigger areas used the foam pipe wrap and them siliconed in place. I had to remove the silicone once when I was taken in for the gas pedal recall . I just redid it after it came home. It's sealed up pretty good because I don't even get any water coming through in the summer time.
Thanks, great idea.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!