cable busting

W

was456

Nov 4, 2013
New Pioneer owner here. I have the 700-2 . I just had the dealer install factory plow and winch. This thing sure pushes the snow but have been having a problem with the cable busting. The bottom roller does not turn so needless to say the cable don't last long before snapping. Anybody else having this issue. Thanks

K

kyhunter

Oct 30, 2013
Are you talking about the Winch Roller Fairlead?
If so unloosen the Two nuts on the roller. It shouldn't have been that tight.

W

was456

Nov 4, 2013
I can roll it by hand but the weight of the plow seems to make it bind. I will try and loosen it up a little to see if that helps

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
steel cable wont last even with a good roller.
I have been using boat winch straps I get them from Wal-Mart for about 12 dollars. I have had grate success with these. they last well and if you do brake it just retie it to the hook. it wont brake unless it dragging on some thing sharp.
I usually just run the winch hook to the plow but it was way to quick on this rig so I made a trap pulley out of a boat roller. the strap will not knot up like cable I just pull the steel cable out and use a 1/4 20 screw in the Alan head set screw hole to hold the strap. my 3500# will take all 20 feet the 2000# will only hold 15 feet of the strap. there is a pic of the pulley on my post about the plow.
honda plow/warn

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been plowing with atvs etc for decades. Usually when you start breaking the cable it is because you are holding the winch control too long while it is raising the winch. The plow comes up to the highest point then the winch starts pulling on cable. Try letting off the winch button sooner. Also check to make sure that the winch is fully disengaging when you let off the "up" control button.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I always had problems with them knotting up then braking. I think it is from letting to much out. all I know is for 12 bucks I don't have to think or worry about it any more.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!