P1000 Cables adjusted does this look right?

B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my p1000-5 started not going into 2wd or 4wd or 4 diff very easily. (about 300 miles)
So I adjusted them per the manual. Drove it around and it was worse...not wanting to go in at all(2wd or 4wd)

So I opened it up and went back to where it was before I started and I went some the other direction. This time I left the box opened up and actually drove it around in my gravel driveway.(could feel the instant the diff locked on gravel) I adjusted the middle cable until it popped in quickly and the indicator on the dash gave a true quick reading. Tghis is just about where it was when I first opened the box up, except the top cable in the pic was threaded on tighter(bar set crooked, top of bar farther left in the picture)

When I stop and shift I usually have to roll just a little front to back turning a little to get it to diff lock in the rear.(figure that is somewhat normal, like rocking a 4 wheeler to get it to shift through gears when sitting still)

What my main question is the little diff lock X in the indicator doesn't show locked(2wd) when I go into park.(can't roll it after in P to get it to diff lock) Is it possible I need to make the bar crooked in the box? Maybe tighten inside(top) cable?

Here is what she looks like now.

P1000 cables

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Your picture looks exactly like how I have mine set. I've never actual look to see if mine locks the rear when in park, but it does take a little bite to come in & out of rear lock to turf when driving in a straight line. If you make a turn it switches almost instantly. This is all normal in my opinion. Looks good, ride & enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
lift the rear off the ground, put in 2wd lock and neutral. spin one tire and see if it locks in. I have adjusted numerous P1k's, everyone has come out a little different. Only make one adjustment at a time., drive it around and then readjust. Last one took me 30 minutes or so to get right.

Reactions: Remington and nitzo
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did about the same thing as you, adjusting it so it looked perfect, then put it all back together only to find out it still didn't shift right. After that I left the covers off until I got it to shift just right. It's very finicky and when I got done it looked about like it always did but shifted right. Go figure.

Reactions: Tramguage1
B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all of the replies. Good stuff. If I get time I may try tweaking the bottom cable(PRNHL cable?) to see if I can get the X to come on when I put it in P.(Is my thinking correct on this?)

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Be sure the unit is in 2 WD lock first or you will never get it to work. Also, the center adjustment is wrong. The pivot rod should touch rear line just like other two. Fought mine until I realized book never said to get it in 2wd lock before adjusting anything. Good luck. It is not that difficult.

B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be sure the unit is in 2 WD lock first or you will never get it to work. Also, the center adjustment is wrong. The pivot rod should touch rear line just like other two. Fought mine until I realized book never said to get it in 2wd lock before adjusting anything. Good luck. It is not that difficult.
Mine wouldn't work at all(very rarely 1 out of 10 times maybe) when it was set to factory position) in P and 2WD. But now it seems to be pretty quick to go in every time I shift it.

I put it in park probably 10 times last night feeding cows and driving to Gambinos for pizza. It only showed 2wd lock in park once. Would like to get that fixed but can live with that.

Wondering if I need to be lubing shifter mechanisms under the dash.(wife played in the mud a lot the first weeks we had it had to wash forever to get mud out of everywhere)

Is there an easy way to get to the shifter mechanisms under the dash? What should a guy use for lube on this spray of some kind I presume?

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like I do everything, I beat this issue to death. I read everything I could, watched everything I could. I made the adjustments exactly as everything/everyone had said. I'd get it just the way it was supposed to be, put it back together and damn it wouldn't work, I'd take it apart and do it again. Finally, I figured out, don't put it together, take it for a ride, adjust as u go, stopping to tweak it a bit here and there. In the end I got it and it works perfect now. Seems to me Honda could have come up with something a bit better.

B

bluedog69

Sep 18, 2019
NW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats how I basically did it too. It isn't right according to picture in book but it works now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!