What is this????

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1K been running rough. Not really like spitting or cutting out usually, just not what is normal. It would act like it wanted to die when slowing to idle .... but not die. While looking for potential problem I noticed oily dirty film on this wire connection. What is this component the wires are plugged into????

When I unplugged it, I found oil all inside the connection also. I sprayed contact cleaner over it all and reconnected. It seemed to run fine. After about 10 min it started running worse. After removing the wire harness, I found it to be full of oil again.

Any guidance or info on what the component is/does is appreciated.

901f18dcd1352525da1e3ee554fb2156388bf1e31d37c8ce207b90e2f4780e2f

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'm guessing you have a 2017? (you joined the club in 2017)
So that would be the regulator/rectifier If I'm guessing correct.
It has a cast aluminum case with heat sink ribs on the bottom right?

If it's leaking oil that's bad.
You probably knew that.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW I saw this on another forum.

I have the leak at the stator grommet I need to address anyway. Oil is showing up at the stator wire plug into the rectifier. I've googled this and many brands suffer this fate it appears. I guess Honda didn't seal the ends of the wires inside the stator cover and over time the oil wicks up the wire and exits at the stator plug connection. Kind of bizarre i know. I would like to stop it because I do not think this is good for the rectifier over time.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm guessing you have a 2017? (you joined the club in 2017)
So that would be the regulator/rectifier If I'm guessing correct.
It has a cast aluminum case with heat sink ribs on the bottom right?

If it's leaking oil that's bad.
You probably knew that.
2018 model.... finally located a pic/info of it in service manual page 634. I had no idea the regulator would have oil in it. Any idea how it effect running performance? Unplugged it runs fine, but assume the battery will not charge if unplugged? I just put a brand new battery in it, I guess coincidence Regulator went out.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have oil on the rectifier plug also. It is I4WD. Why did you ask that question.
I asked because I like everybody else was trying to figure out what’s different.
I just saw this on a Africa Twin forum:

The immediate and naive thought that immediately comes to mind is:
  • Access the source end of the cable.
  • Detach and clean-up the end.
  • Solder the affected braided wire so to stop the wicking effect up into the conductor strands.
  • Follow this up by an application of heat-resistant epoxy around the conductor sheath end and the wire itself. This prevents oil from getting between the sheath and conductor, bypassing the soldered braided fix and resume the wicking behaviour along the remaining length of the cable.
In theory, that should stop the wicking behaviour. However, will oil now drip when it hits this interface?

Alternative thought:
  • Strip away about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of sheath not far from the source connector.
  • Solder the conductor so all braided strands are bonded.
  • Dip the entire 1/4 to 1/2 inch unsheathed area in heat-resistance (oil resistant) epoxy.
  • Consider wrapping the section in electrical tape or similar protection.
This too, in theory (??) could plug the wicking of oil by way of the internal cable conductors.

Reactions: Buggyman
justinjaeger

justinjaeger

Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2018
illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where in the heck is the oil wicking up from??

Reactions: Buggyman
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where in the heck is the oil wicking up from??
After looking thru the service manual there appears to be an oil transport joint for bearings that are in the alternator cover right in that area. Could be the culprit?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!