P1000 I think my rear diff is bad

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update! They replaced the 2 parts in the diff that were potentially bent and put it all back together. It now only has the issue when turning left. So they are leaning towards the rear axles being the issue. they are going to attempt swapping the axels left to right and see if that makes a difference. Mind you they are working with one of Hondas drive line techs and that was their suggestion. So we're getting damn close. Might end up getting new stock axels for the back if that doesn't fix the issue
Thanks for keeping updated, Sorry for all the hassles you have to go through

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u have any idea what the bill is up to at this point and are they charging you for what seems like guessing at parts and time at it or just for the actual repair?

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
u have any idea what the bill is up to at this point and are they charging you for what seems like guessing at parts and time at it or just for the actual repair?
I do actually! I'm at about 1050 I have had frequent calls with the service manager\writer. They are being decent about it and only charging me when necessary. They have pulled the diff 3 times but only charged me once for it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
they are going to attempt swapping the axels left to right and see if that makes a difference.
Id like to be a fly on the wall for that! Those axels are NOT interchangeable left to right! Each one is a different length🧐

I can see it now….
“It will fit” as they grab the sledge hammer! 💥🫢😂

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Id like to be a fly on the wall for that! Those axels are NOT interchangeable left to right! Each one is a different length🧐

I can see it now….
Yeah I knew that when they told me that and I mentioned it and they were like well Honda is telling us to buy yeah they called this morning and we're like nah it's not possible and I said yeah kinda figured. So they are going to get some stock axles in and see if that make a difference. If it doesn't were kinda outta things to try as the issue only occurs in turf mode so I highly doubt anything else is wrong.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

I can see it now….
I would tell them to swap it out for a Wolverine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I mentioned it and they were like well Honda is telling us to buy
Thats pretty bad!
Id be like, well you smellers dont know diddly🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Honda has many great products and the Pioneer was nice when it came out.

It's super outdated and the assembly plant is borderline terrible. Missed welds, cross threaded bolts, all kinds of issues.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda has many great products and the Pioneer was nice when it came out.

It's super outdated and the assembly plant is borderline terrible. Missed welds, cross threaded bolts, all kinds of issues.
Soooo Honda is the only manufacturer that can happen to? I guess I just don't understand why you piss on the pioneer when you're on a forum called "hondasxs." If you were adding insight or value to these threads I would understand.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Soooo Honda is the only manufacturer that can happen to? I guess I just don't understand why you piss on the pioneer when you're on a forum called "hondasxs." If you were adding insight or value to these threads I would understand.
I get some wood on the ball sometimes.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
At low speeds it it will kinda jerk forward like it catches and then has to spin the shaft around again before it will move forward again. At speed it seems ok but I think that's because I'm moving already. Also it will clunk then move and clunk them move at very low speed
Try driving it up a slight hill, that spin/catch will be more noticeable.

Reactions: Backwoods
onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
I see nothing wrong with this rear differential.

• Love
Reactions: Backwoods and CID
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I'm at a loss of what to do. Getting new OEM axles is gonna run me about a grand but the dealer is saying the left side axle's stub out is 1\2 inch shorter than OEM spec which could cause shifting in the diff causing the locker to engage and disengage intermittently.

Does that sound possible to anyone? It makes sense I guess. Currently only does it when turning left.

Machine currently has allballs rear axles from the dealer I bought it from. The other option is just leave it in 2wd all the time and say the hell with turf mode.

Thoughts? Looking for ideas as it's totally possible that the new OEM axles wouldn't fix anything...

• Sad
Reactions: Jerryg and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!