P1000 I think my rear diff is bad

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to me 2018 pioneer 1000. I want to start off by saying I have adjusted the differential locker cables and the diff does lock and unlock however I noticed something that I think probably isn't right during the adjustment. When in neutral and turf mode with the rear end jacked up off the ground I can rotate the rear drive shaft by hand about a half turn before it feels like it "catches" and begins rotating the wheels. It does the same in 2 wheel lock. This seems like maybe a bad pinion or ring gear...?

Further more while in turf mode if I hold one wheel while rotating the drive shaft by hand it will spin 1 wheel intermittently "catching" and sort of push out the other axel a bit hard to describe. The dealer I bought it from has been terrible about what they said they "checked" before I bought it. I know they replaced the rear axles and i don't know if I can trust that they put the right length axle on the correct side of the machine in back (I know they are different lengths) is it possible to put them in the wrong side?

Sorry for the lengthy post

Reactions: Biteme and TxDoc
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure if they can be installed on the wrong side but if you look at the shafts they have a slight neck down at the boots. The drivers side has about equall length of neck down and the pass. side does does not. That would be a quick visual way of determining if they are on the propper side.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if they can be installed on the wrong side but if you look at the shafts they have a slight neck down at the boots. The drivers side has about equall length of neck down and the pass. side does does not. That would be a quick visual way of determining if they are on the propper side.
They are all balls shafts so they are all 1 diameter but thanks for the response!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Miles?
How was it ridden and since you've had it?

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Miles?
How was it ridden and since you've had it?
It's got almost 5000 miles on it I haven't had it out of the drive way because I have had to replace, front wheel bearings, air filter and a few other things that should have been caught before I bought it. Not sure how it was driven before I bought it.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there any problems while driving?
At low speeds it it will kinda jerk forward like it catches and then has to spin the shaft around again before it will move forward again. At speed it seems ok but I think that's because I'm moving already. Also it will clunk then move and clunk them move at very low speed

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When did you purchase it and does it have any kind of warranty? If these problems existed when the dealer had it I can't see how they didn't know it had problems.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When did you purchase it and does it have any kind of warranty? If these problems existed when the dealer had it I can't see how they didn't know it had problems.
About a month ago and no unfortunately no warranty... I think I got taken for a ride here... Are you thinking the rear diff is probably gonna need a rebuild? I just feel like when the drive shaft spins the rear wheels should spin IMMEDIATELY with almost no play

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
About a month ago and no unfortunately no warranty... I think I got taken for a ride here... Are you thinking the rear diff is probably gonna need a rebuild? I just feel like when the drive shaft spins the rear wheels should spin IMMEDIATELY with almost no play
If you jack up the rear and remove the Fill/Inspection plug you can rotate the rear wheels and observe the ring gear as it spins and look for missing or damaged teeth. If they are damaged I'm afraid you will need to rebuild or replace it.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you jack up the rear and remove the Fill/Inspection plug you can rotate the rear wheels and observe the ring gear as it spins and look for missing or damaged teeth. If they are damaged I'm afraid you will need to rebuild or replace it.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm worried it's the pinion and not the right gear but tomorrow I can put it up and take a peek at the ring gear.

Thanks for the input I'm really glad I came to this site you guys are super helpful and very responsive!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If the pinion gear is damaged it's very likely the ring gear is also. Plus if you drain the oil there would be metal chunks and shavings in it. If the gears are damaged and there are no metal chunks in the oil then the dealer changed the oil and knew the diff was bad.

Reactions: Biteme
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the pinion gear is damaged it's very likely the ring gear is also. Plus if you drain the oil there would be metal chunks and shavings in it. If the gears are damaged and there are no metal chunks in the oil then the dealer changed the oil and knew the diff was bad.
Welp I know for a fact that they changed the oil in the diffs, engine, and sub trans. I mean this dealer has given me zero confidence. They changed all the fluids in the machine right? I get home and I'm looking everything over again and it had no coolant in it. The forgot to refill the coolant for Christ's sake!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welp I know for a fact that they changed the oil in the diffs, engine, and sub trans. I mean this dealer has given me zero confidence. They changed all the fluids in the machine right? I get home and I'm looking everything over again and it had no coolant in it. The forgot to refill the coolant for Christ's sake!
I feel for ya bud. It appears that dealer is below scum. I would go there and see if they would atleast help make things right. How many miles have you put on it since you purchased it?

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel for ya bud. It appears that dealer is below scum. I would go there and see if they would atleast help make things right. How many miles have you put on it since you purchased it?
Less than 5 been too busy fixing crap that should have been fixed before I brought it home

Edit: however that's probably to my advantage because they can't say I broke it by riding it since the milage hasn't changed

Last edited:
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Less than 5 been too busy fixing crap that should have been fixed before I brought it home
Maybe contacting BBB might help. Getting a lawyer would probably be more expensive than it's worth. What dealer is it?

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe contacting BBB might help. Getting a lawyer would probably be more expensive than it's worth. What dealer is it?
Wasn't sure if I could say but it is heinen motorsports in osseso MN. I'm going to have my local Honda dealer (5 minutes) from me take a look at the diff and save all old parts then go back to the original dealer with his email stating "no mechanical issues whatsoever" and the damaged parts and ask how he will be paying lol

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wasn't sure if I could say but it is heinen motorsports in osseso MN. I'm going to have my local Honda dealer (5 minutes) from me take a look at the diff and save all old parts then go back to the original dealer with his email stating "no mechanical issues whatsoever" and the damaged parts and ask how he will be paying lol
That email may be enough for you to get some results. It's a damn shame you have to go thru all this anguish on a high dollar purchase. I wish you luck.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That email may be enough for you to get some results. It's a damn shame you have to go thru all this anguish on a high dollar purchase. I wish you luck.
Thanks! I love the machine tho the engine is quiet and smooth looking forward to getting out there with it! I mean in the end a new rear diff from partzilla is like $450 which isn't terrible so we'll see what happens!

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welp I dropped it off at the local dealer tonight and it acted how I wanted so they were able to see what was going on. While creeping it slowly into their shop it moved forward then sort of free wheeled then the diff gears meshed again and it moved forward again and repeated that while creeping in. The tech goes "yeah that's definitely something." So I told them to take good photos so I can have the original dealer reimburse since he told me "there is nothing mechanically wrong with the machine." In an email so I got it in black and white.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!