P1000 Intermittent Rear Diff Whine

J

JDAZ84

Feb 14, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need an adult on this one. Two rides in a row now, everything starts out fine, but about an hour or so into the ride my rear diff makes an extremely loud and unholy high pitched whine whenever the throttle is applied or I'm downshifting, and i detect a hint of grinding. Then, after a while, it seemingly goes away. It only happens in 4H, regardless of 4wd or 2wd setting. I'm at a loss. I do a lot if riding in desert trails with tons of fine dust...can this thing get dirty? I'm not mechanicaly inclined so I'm trying to figure this out and any advice you guys give would be huge.

Reactions: Lady01
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
None of us are born knowing mechanics, that's learned.

What year, how many miles?

1. Get a paper copy of the service manual, page through it at your leisure.
2. Change the gear lube in the differentials and sub trans. Check levels first to see if any were low. Look for metal flakes in the drained lube.

J

JDAZ84

Feb 14, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
None of us are born knowing mechanics, that's learned.

What year, how many miles?

1. Get a paper copy of the service manual, page through it at your leisure.
2. Change the gear lube in the differentials and sub trans. Check levels first to see if any were low. Look for metal flakes in the drained lube.
2021 with just under 500 miles. Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look for some YouTube videos for instruction on how to change those fluids. I assume the owners manual prescribes the type of fluid needed?

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
2021 with just under 500 miles. Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look for some YouTube videos for instruction on how to change those fluids. I assume the owners manual prescribes the type of fluid needed?
Yes, the owners manual defines lubes and capacities. On a Talon, it's gear lube in the diffs and motor oil in the sub trans.

Check out the link in my sig, motor oil with moly helps the sub trans shift into Low range better. There's a pic of the recommended moly oil. DON"T use moly in the engine/DCT (which use the same sump).

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My first impression is to believe that you just haven't put in enough miles yet to get used to the noise of the P1000. Diff whine is just a feature of this machine. They are straight-cut, not helical like a car diff. They are noisy.

As CID said check the fluid levels of your diffs and subtrans. There have been instances of them leaving the dealership with low fluids. They really do not need to be changed out already, unless something is wrong.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you do want to change the fluid in the diffs this thread is helpful.

J

JDAZ84

Feb 14, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, the owners manual defines lubes and capacities. On a Talon, it's gear lube in the diffs and motor oil in the sub trans.

Check out the link in my sig, motor oil with moly helps the sub trans shift into Low range better. There's a pic of the recommended moly oil. DON"T use moly in the engine/DCT (which use the same sump).
Welp, first thing I checked this morning is the sub trans fluid, and it's bone dry. Now I'm pissed, mostly at myself, because it's one of the things outlined in the owners manual to check. My garage where I'm checking this is at a small incline, but not enough to account for no fluid on the stick. I haven't had any check engine lights while I've been riding...but did I ruin my machine?

20220321 111336

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did that happen? Was it delivered dry? Did they change the diff lube at the first service?

I did my own 1st service, and although I don't think the diff change is called for (IIRC), I did that anyway.

If the diff was run dry for 500 miles, I expect there's significant wear and damage. If the dealer is at fault, I'd take it to them under warranty. If that isn't the case, put fluid in there, run it for a few miles and then drain the fluid immediately after a run so you can assess what you get out.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would go straight to the dealer with this, they were supposed to assure all of your fluids were up when it left their shop.

I'd guess the sub is probably going to be OK. It's probably more on "low" than "bone dry." But I'd want them checking it out.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks all, pretty embarrassing but at least I know why it was making that noise now!
Not for you! Your learning and thats what where here for is to help and a little humor here and there! ;)
the ones that should be embarrassed is the dealer for not doing a proper inspection before letting it go.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it was me i would drop the plug catch the fluid that came out very carefully trying not to lose any.Then use a measuring cup to see how much was in there a quart plus or minus a fuzz i would not worry unless the oil has alot of metal in it.From what i hear about some dealers you might not get a straight answer anyhow then you would know.Being your gun shy dont over fill.

Reactions: Jerryg and Buggyman
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
terrible, my talon diff was 8 ounces short upon delivery which I added right away and I took to dealer for recalls and was at 100 miles, said may as well change engine oil, they shorted me a quart on the engine oil, I didn't catch it until I unloaded at home and checked it. I added oil and let them know - the response was there may be something going on with the motor if its a quart low - bring it in and we will test it, I asked a follow up question as what exactly they were going to test and no answer other than bring it back in. no faith in them as they couldn't count quarts of oil.......

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it was me i would drop the plug catch the fluid that came out very carefully trying not to lose any.Then use a measuring cup to see how much was in there a quart plus or minus a fuzz i would not worry unless the oil has alot of metal in it.From what i hear about some dealers you might not get a straight answer anyhow then you would know.Being your gun shy dont over fill.
This is what I was thinking. You need to know if you were a little low or dry and how much metal flake is in the oil. I damn sure wouldn't trust the dealer to 'fess up' if they found it empty or full of metal chips.

Both of my Talon's were delivered with low sub trans oil, 8 oz and 10 oz low. :mad:

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I was thinking. You need to know if you were a little low or dry and how much metal flake is in the oil. I damn sure wouldn't trust the dealer to 'fess up' if they found it empty or full of metal chips.

Both of my Talon's were delivered with low sub trans oil, 8 oz and 10 oz low. :mad:

Yup. And when doing it yourself, take pictures.

It's a dang shame it seems you can't trust manufacturers or dealers to get it right now. From the little mistakes and stupid stuff on my 21 SE, it's obvious they don't have workers with decent morale who take pride in their work. I don't think I've ever bought a new car and immediately thought to go though the thing checking tranny and diff levels . . . I just trusted it was done right, and back then it was.

End welfare, society's cancer.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yup. And when doing it yourself, take pictures.

It's a dang shame it seems you can't trust manufacturers or dealers to get it right now. From the little mistakes and stupid stuff on my 21 SE, it's obvious they don't have workers with decent morale who take pride in their work. I don't think I've ever bought a new car and immediately thought to go though the thing checking tranny and diff levels . . . I just trusted it was done right, and back then it was.

End welfare, society's cancer.
Its unlikely any "workers" at the dealership are on welfare. This is more in the realm of work ethic/training. This seems to be the direction America is heading. Sad that more and more people don't give a rats ass anymore.

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its unlikely any "workers" at the dealership are on welfare. This is more in the realm of work ethic/training. This seems to be the direction America is heading. Sad that more and more people don't give a rats ass anymore.

Very true, but welfare is a big part of the complex problem. It's an enabler that's destroying the family unit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!