P1000 2021 Pioneer 1000-3 lost low gear. Now what?? Any upgrades??

163bc

Oct 4, 2020
virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-3. Low gear was dicey from the time i got it home when new. Never shifted into low easy. Usually a grinding before it popped into gear. Now low gear is gone complexly and only grinds. I took it back to dealer and they adjusted all the cables but said they cant get to a tranny rebuild for a couple months. In the meantime i'll get by as best i can without low gear but im concerned about further damage to other parts of it during use. Here's my question:

Are there any aftermarket parts that are more robust that i can use to rebuild the entire sub tranny?? If i have to take it out and rebuild it i'd like to do it right 1 time and beef everything up as best i can so it doesn't happen again. Anything else i should try to do or replace when i have it out?
The Honda Pioneers are great machines but these sub transmissions are a PIA. Thanks in advance. 163bc

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm thinking @Ridinfool can give you some advice on this. What color Talon should he buy? ;)

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-3. Low gear was dicey from the time i got it home when new. Never shifted into low easy
The 🔥 question is why didnt u take it back then while under warranty? I know its redundant now, but inquiring minds want to know?
I dont think there is any aftermarket parts for that. Do what @TripleB said. The DCT is good. U did kinda buy it during Scamdemic times. Quality on many items were subpar at best.
Advise, call other dealers to get it done faster.

Also, no pics of ur rig yet
POIDH

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would give AB fabrication & Performance a call he’s suppose to be the man on these transmissions in the pioneer and the talon. go to his Facebook page his phone number is 206-519-7764. I have talked to him and he puts the best stuff in there all you do is ship it to him. I saw him on YouTube.

Reactions: Smitty335

163bc

Oct 4, 2020
virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did take it to the dealer. Multiple times for warranty service and mentioned it. It wasn't an every time kind of thing. The dealer couldn't seem to replicate it but it would have been hard to do in parking lot conditions. It was sporatic and it would grind about 1/2 the time then go into low. I guess it just finally just wore down enough?? Of course now the dealer has no record of it and i'm out of warranty. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into A&B fabrication.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did take it to the dealer. Multiple times for warranty service and mentioned it. It wasn't an every time kind of thing. The dealer couldn't seem to replicate it but it would have been hard to do in parking lot conditions. It was sporatic and it would grind about 1/2 the time then go into low. I guess it just finally just wore down enough?? Of course now the dealer has no record of it and i'm out of warranty. Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into A&B fabrication.
Doesn't matter now anyways. The updated honda parts will probably last a lifetime.

Reactions: Remington
H

HondaTech

I would give AB fabrication & Performance a call he’s suppose to be the man on these transmissions in the pioneer and the talon. go to his Facebook page his phone number is 206-519-7764. I have talked to him and he puts the best stuff in there all you do is ship it to him. I saw him on YouTube.

Or bring it to someone who makes the outside look as good as the inside.

Why spend all that money for it to look like it did when it came out?
20220222 175250

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, it sounds like the problem began as misadjusted shift cables not fully engaging first gear when shifting into Drive position.

If you complained about that issue early in your ownership and IF the complaint was written on work orders you may have a valid warranty claim.

If it were mine, I would make that argument to your dealership service manager and try to persuade him to appeal to Honda on your behalf.

If the selling dealer is uncooperative I would take it to another dealer. Do you have copies of early work orders listing the gear engagement complaint?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Dont forget, when replying to someones post, make sure to hit “reply” (see above) then type what u want to say or type @163bc then your answer or they wont know you responded to them. I just happened to check the thread and seen u said something. Little forum etiquette..

What does 163bc stand for,
163 before Christ? 😂 Just giving u $hit.

Still waiting on those pics!
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Its no wonder theres no record at the dealership as you say! 🧐

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Who cares if it’s clean as long as it’s fixed right and I would just about bet that most Honda shops want install the upgraded parts they will install what the specs call for where AB fabrication installs the upgraded parts and no more problems if it’s fixed with the upgraded parts I can clean it up

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Who cares if it’s clean as long as it’s fixed right and I would just about bet that most Honda shops want install the upgraded parts they will install what the specs call for where AB fabrication installs the upgraded parts and no more problems if it’s fixed with the upgraded parts I can clean it up
Periods and sentence brakes are very useful tools.

H

HondaTech

Honda issued a bulletin about the upgrade shift star and shaft, so dealers are aware of the parts.

The other parts are just snake oil.

We broke a cryoheat treated mainshaft, the back cut gears don't make a difference and people who've pushed these cars to their breaking point have proven it. Put the stock stuff back in it with the Honda upgrades and it'll hold. Unless your racing these cars they don't need any other "upgrades".

163bc

Oct 4, 2020
virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ive been running it in hi gear only until i can get it back to shop. I use manual s*** mode when climbing. Will this hurt the clutches? Anything else i should replace while the shop has it out and open other than low and reverse?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
won't hurt the clutches - its just a manual clutch (lol), controlled by the computer - so with any clutch, pulling or up against immovable objects is bad

IMO - check u-joints, while apart

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Working in filth is unproductive and leads to a compromised end result. Applies to every job, ever.
Yes, a fairly simple concept that a relative few don't seen to comprehend.

D

ddw

Nov 22, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had same issue with my 2021, sub trans was replaced under warranty

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!