GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Putting a Talon cam in takes some modifications and heavier valve springs but it was worth the effort it gave the bottom end back that the African Twin cam stole.
I don't think it added much on top as I put 29" tires on at the same time I put the cam in and the raced Russel's YXZ and the results where about the same I want to race my brother stock Pioneer to see just how much better it runs on top

The cam guide is thicker on the Talon, I had took my Pioneer to a not so bright friend that works on anything with a small engine he was going to do some maintenance on it and take the motor apart and I was going to be there to help put it back together as I had prior experience with his engine work, anyway he calls me up hey things are going great and we are going back together and the cam guide is to big but I can cut the cap bigger with a dye grinder no big deal it will fine OK stupid me thinks its bigger in diameter not thinking that would be thicker so that is how I came by a hacked up cap but it is in there, so when I got there he was buttoning it up and I had not seen what he had done until I had home in my garage and took it apart to put heavier valve springs and a new cam chain tensioner in it the only reason I left him work on it was because I did not have the time to get cam in before Mullberry.

Zach pull the gear mount and guide off and chucked it up in a lathe turned it down on his Pioneer

Cam guide cap Cam 5 Cam Cam 2

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The Talon cam guide won't fit?

Correct the Talon cam guide doesn't fit into the Pioneer's aluminum cam bearing cap as that is a machine fitted bearing cap you don't just buy one for a Talon.
I would of had it clamped in a milling machine and had it cut correctly if had understood what the issue was.

You also need to measure timing chain gear spacing to make sure it is inline with the crank and guides I had to press mine on a little further.

M

Marcumalex54

Mar 9, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is it possible to swap the entire head from a talon to a pioneer?

Reactions: Lady01
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!