russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Looking at my 2016 it has the two piece primary gear. The 2022 has the solid gear. The 2022 also has a "timing sprocket" that the 2016 does not have. While replacing the clutches, I am considering replacing my 2 piece gear with the solid one, but leaving the primary driven gear alone. Anyone know what the timing sprocket does, and can I replace the primary drive gear without replacing the primary driven gear?

H

HondaTech

All the Pioneers and Africa Twins use the same driven clutch gear. The Talon is its own part number, both are 81 Teeth.

I dont see any issues using the solid gear on a sprung gear Pioneer. The 2022 Pioneer models use the solid drive gear off a Talon.

I'm not sure why they switched. But if the clutch is ever burnt in any 1000 series engine that I'm working on, the oil tank and rear cover is coming off anyway to clean the debris out. So thr gear is irrelevant at that point.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
All the Pioneers and Africa Twins use the same driven clutch gear. The Talon is its own part number, both are 81 Teeth.

I dont see any issues using the solid gear on a sprung gear Pioneer. The 2022 Pioneer models use the solid drive gear off a Talon.

I'm not sure why they switched. But if the clutch is ever burnt in any 1000 series engine that I'm working on, the oil tank and rear cover is coming off anyway to clean the debris out. So thr gear is irrelevant at that point.
The primary sub gear has no tension on it. It can be easily moved back and forth. Is that normal?

Reactions: Rayger143
H

HondaTech

The primary sub gear has no tension on it. It can be easily moved back and forth. Is that normal?

It's a scissor gear, the outer thinner gear should turn clockwise until it reaches a stopping point. Then you have to insert a punch or small screwdriver into the hole and force it further to line up the hole inside the slot (and the teeth on the gear) then insert a bolt to secure it.

Once the clutch assembly is installed, then the bolt can be removed.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The 2 pcs spring loaded gear is only there to help quieten down the backlash on straight cut gears. The timing gear was machined as part of the crankshaft on the pioneers. The Talon and latest pioneers have a removable gear. The Talon has a wider timing chain than the pioneer. Not sure if that changed in the 22 pioneer.

H

HondaTech

The 2 pcs spring loaded gear is only there to help quieten down the backlash on straight cut gears. The timing gear was machined as part of the crankshaft on the pioneers. The Talon and latest pioneers have a removable gear. The Talon has a wider timing chain than the pioneer. Not sure if that changed in the 22 pioneer.

2022 Pioneer uses the same chain as 2021 and older, Talon uses same chain as Africa Twin.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
It's a scissor gear, the outer thinner gear should turn clockwise until it reaches a stopping point. Then you have to insert a punch or small screwdriver into the hole and force it further to line up the hole inside the slot (and the teeth on the gear) then insert a bolt to secure it.

Once the clutch assembly is installed, then the bolt can be removed.
That is the information I needed, thanks!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!