P700 Camshaft replacement help

S

Samre

Jan 30, 2021
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
Thank you, I don't know why I could not find that anywhere.

Reactions: Mudwing
S

Samre

Jan 30, 2021
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
I replaced the cam and it fixed the problem....Now the transmission seems to jerk or something about every 200 feet, shift lever really jerks. Does it in 2 or 4 wheel drive... Does not do it in reverse. Please comment.
Thanks

M

mtn

May 31, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Could someone please help me out with this camshaft install on my 700-4? Looking for:

Torque spec for cam holders (not listed in service manual, as it says just ‘tighten’.

I have the big, bottom line on the cam sproket lined up parallel with the cylinder surface as best I can tell. The manual says to line them up with the holder plate edge, which they don’t. See attached pic.

And there is a fair amount of gunk on top of the piston. I cleaned a bunch off, but some still remains. How do I clean the rest off? The correct term is escaping me.

4454418A DF62 4A76 90DC B2CF0EFE41E6

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could someone please help me out with this camshaft install on my 700-4? Looking for:

Torque spec for cam holders (not listed in service manual, as it says just ‘tighten’.

I have the big, bottom line on the cam sproket lined up parallel with the cylinder surface as best I can tell. The manual says to line them up with the holder plate edge, which they don’t. See attached pic.

And there is a fair amount of gunk on top of the piston. I cleaned a bunch off, but some still remains. How do I clean the rest off? The correct term is escaping me.

View attachment 389719
The service manual tends to have torque values for fasteners in the first few chapters of the book. I would look there for the proper torque value you want. If none still listed. Find common torque values listed for that bolt diameter and use your judgment.

I believe the term you are looking for is carbon on top of the piston.

Reactions: Smitty335 and mtn
M

mtn

May 31, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m really about to lose it with this project. I cannot get anything to line up perfectly and am scared that I put this back together and it will have to be taken apart again. So much for a learning experience.

I have attached a picture of the TDC mark, the piston at TDC on the compression stroke, and the stupid timing marks on the camshaft that won’t like up excact. About 1/16” off from side to side, even after trying to hold the chain while releasing the tensioner.

Edit: i did move the chain back one tooth and it is much further off, so this mustvbe the correct solution pictured.

E46166B6 E90C 4B6B 94CA DE8201C26EDE 6CB796AF E8AD 4071 8ACE 22DB5FFE50BC 9AE678C2 1944 409D 8736 D8E212721F27

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’m really about to lose it with this project. I cannot get anything to line up perfectly and am scared that I put this back together and it will have to be taken apart again. So much for a learning experience.

I have attached a picture of the TDC mark, the piston at TDC on the compression stroke, and the stupid timing marks on the camshaft that won’t like up excact. About 1/16” off from side to side, even after trying to hold the chain while releasing the tensioner.

Edit: i did move the chain back one tooth and it is much further off, so this mustvbe the correct solution pictured.

View attachment 390838 View attachment 390839 View attachment 390840
Is this a new chain? A worn chain would throw it off...

I've not done much in the way of timing on powersport stuff, but I can tell you that in the automotive world, timing marks rarely line up perfectly. You have to visualize (or actually check) what it would be like one tooth in either direction and pick the closest. Aftermarket stuff adds some variables as well.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 390838 View attachment 390839 View attachment 390840
make sure you are checking alignment while pushing the chain on the tensioner

M

mtn

May 31, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is this a new chain? A worn chain would throw it off...

I've not done much in the way of timing on powersport stuff, but I can tell you that in the automotive world, timing marks rarely line up perfectly. You have to visualize (or actually check) what it would be like one tooth in either direction and pick the closest. Aftermarket stuff adds some variables as well.
That is the existing chain in the machine. I have to imagine that this is the only way as I had also tried the other sprocket tooth that it could’ve been. I didn’t even bother with a picture since it was about 3/16” off on the other tooth. Maybe the mark isn’t lined up exactly right on the crankshaft. Idk.

Definitely moving to the next step which is these valve stem seals. I’ll get a pic uploaded for opinions on what I should do in regards to cleaning the carbon up and/or lapping.

H

HondaTech

The piston looks clean enough for me to put it back together.

The line on the cam is finicky, and can be even with a new a chain.

What you have pictured is good to go in my book.

Reactions: mtn and Smitty335
M

mtn

May 31, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
And here’s the other issue: I still want to replace the stem seals just out of precaution. I’m thinking leave the carbon deposits alone and just put each valve back in their respective locations without lapping them? I took it to a machinist today and mentally blanked so I didn’t even ask if I should lap them.

1783D655 3A11 4AF0 B3E8 D52259FEAB76 4806B06B 9F14 4430 B34E 698F79D23EEE

Reactions: Smitty335
M

mtn

May 31, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Going to pick up some acetone from the store tomorrow to get the remainder of the gasket off as well.

Reactions: Smitty335
M

mtn

May 31, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Soooo....

The head studs are m10x265. Anyone know the proper timesert to order? Thread pitch and hole depth are the factors. It's the passenger rear stud in question.

And yes, I was torqueing to the proper spec in increments as disclosed in the service manual.

M

Muggster71

Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Big Red
Soooo....

The head studs are m10x265. Anyone know the proper timesert to order? Thread pitch and hole depth are the factors. It's the passenger rear stud in question.

And yes, I was torqueing to the proper spec in increments as disclosed in the service manual.
Hello, I’m a new member here but have been reading on here for a few years now. It seems I have the same camshaft issue and had a couple of questions if you don’t mind. What year is your machine? Mine is a muv700 2009 model (big red) I’m trying to figure out exactly what I need to order to get this job done. At this point I know I need a camshaft, buckets, chain and tensioner. Are there any gaskets or seals that will need to be replaced? Also, part numbers would be greatly appreciated, if our machines are the same. Thanks for any feedback. Did you get the repair completed?

S

Swamper2fly

Oct 27, 2023
michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Plenty of them go far, far over 6000 miles and never have an issue. It's unfortunate that this happens, but the majority are just fine. What I'd like is a definitive answer from Honda as to why it happens, so we can take steps to avoid it.
Valve adjustment is a normal maintenance item. There are still a lot of cars out there that are supposed to have adjustments. Nobody ever does them.
Most cars have hydraulic lifters and don't need adjustments.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Most cars have hydraulic lifters and don't need adjustments.
🚨🚨👮‍♂️🚔
Welcome fellow michignder!
And thanks for contributing

We ask that you start a welcome thread and post model, miles , mods and above all post pics of your rig. Thats Rule #4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen
Just so we know your not a Poo Poo Fire Trap Infiltrator lol.
Do Michigan a solid for us;)

You are right, most currant stuff has hydraulic lifters. I work on Genera Gens and they just moved this year to Hydraulics on there air cools

Reactions: Backwoods
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hello, I’m a new member here but have been reading on here for a few years now. It seems I have the same camshaft issue and had a couple of questions if you don’t mind. What year is your machine? Mine is a muv700 2009 model (big red) I’m trying to figure out exactly what I need to order to get this job done. At this point I know I need a camshaft, buckets, chain and tensioner. Are there any gaskets or seals that will need to be replaced? Also, part numbers would be greatly appreciated, if our machines are the same. Thanks for any feedback. Did you get the repair completed?
my advice is to go on Ron ayers website - pump in your model info - there is a complete breakdown of every seal and gasket and part numbers

besides what you listed above of course all the gaskets to rebuild the top and valve seals would be on my list.

M

Muggster71

Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Big Red
my advice is to go on Ron ayers website - pump in your model info - there is a complete breakdown of every seal and gasket and part numbers

besides what you listed above of course all the gaskets to rebuild the top and valve seals would be on my list.
Thanks for the reply. Do these things have a VIN number? If so, where is it located? I have a pic of some info I found but nothing that looks like a VIN number.

IMG 3115

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!