Can Am vs Honda Pioneer

Heisenbeans

Heisenbeans

May 11, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not a honda fan boy. Never have been. Back in 2015 I was looking for a nice sxs for the hunting club. I looked hard at the 700 pioneers but it really just seemed at the time they was underpowered and sounded like a fart can to me.
I went with the 800 commander xt. Put 28 radial outlaws on it and it was a really nice machine. Went through everything and never had to use the winch. Going down roads no one in the club wanted to go go down.
After a few issues with brakes and drivetrain and a failed axle and a couple other things I sold it.

Went a couple years just using a 4 wheeler and decided I wanted another sxs.

Polaris was out of the question. There seadoos are 100 percent junk and the people at the club that had em always had em in the shop.
I was looking hard at the defender and had my heart completely set on the xmr defender. So I'm looking and researching for a month and stumbled on a video.

So after clicking on several after this alot seemed to be infomercial type videos so I really started researching. The pioneer 1000-5 deluxe really had my attention.
After driving one I was sold. Super quiet. Loved the direct foot pedal response and the power. I would say overall it was 3 times better than the commander I had. Dif lock was also a big plus for me. Factory doors. 1 year factory warranty.
There was just to many things I liked that I never thought I would like more than the can am.
After driving the xmr I was completely sold on the pioneer. Xmr was loud and just seemed like a small jeep.
Well I went yesterday and purchased a brand new 2020 out the door pioneer for 15,040 cash out the door and could not be happier.
The headlights on the pioneer blow the can am out the water. There are just to many things I love about this machine and I never thought I would be caught dead writing this up.

Anyway I wanted to share my story in case someone else comes accross my situation in the same shoes.

I know these machines are vaccums for dust so I gotta get the right windsheild and stuff to make it work.
Also gonna put 28 inch tires. Haven't decided yet but ill.update progress of all the cool stuff i add.

Also riding on some rough bulldozer trails this thing has some serious shock travel. Was super impressed from bumper to bumper.

If you guys have any suggestions for have to have mods I'm all ears.
20200514 195656

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not a honda fan boy. Never have been. Back in 2015 I was looking for a nice sxs for the hunting club. I looked hard at the 700 pioneers but it really just seemed at the time they was underpowered and sounded like a fart can to me.
I went with the 800 commander xt. Put 28 radial outlaws on it and it was a really nice machine. Went through everything and never had to use the winch. Going down roads no one in the club wanted to go go down.
After a few issues with brakes and drivetrain and a failed axle and a couple other things I sold it.

Polaris was out of the question. There seadoos are 100 percent junk and the people at the club that had em always had em in the shop.
I was looking hard at the defender and had my heart completely set on the xmr defender. So I'm looking and researching for a month and stumbled on a video.

So after clicking on several after this alot seemed to be infomercial type videos so I really started researching. The pioneer 1000-5 deluxe really had my attention.
After driving one I was sold. Super quiet. Loved the direct foot pedal response and the power. I would say overall it was 3 times better than the commander I had. Dif lock was also a big plus for me. Factory doors. 1 year factory warranty.
There was just to many things I liked that I never thought I would like more than the can am.
After driving the xmr I was completely sold on the pioneer. Xmr was loud and just seemed like a small jeep.
Well I went yesterday and purchased a brand new 2020 out the door pioneer for 15,040 cash out the door and could not be happier.
The headlights on the pioneer blow the can am out the water. There are just to many things I love about this machine and I never thought I would be caught dead writing this up.

Anyway I wanted to share my story in case someone else comes accross my situation in the same shoes.

I know these machines are vaccums for dust so I gotta get the right windsheild and stuff to make it work.
Also gonna put 28 inch tires. Haven't decided yet but ill.update progress of all the cool stuff i add.

Also riding on some rough bulldozer trails this thing has some serious shock travel. Was super impressed from bumper to bumper.

If you guys have any suggestions for have to have mods I'm all ears. View attachment 202690

Welcome to the club from Tennessee. Nice rig;)

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

If you guys have any suggestions for have to have mods I'm all ears. View attachment 202690
Wouldnt hurt to add a snorkel and run vent lines from diffs, fuel tank, etc.. even if you never plan on putting it in deep water. I think you got a pretty good deal. Welcome from Florida!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Congratulations on the new P1K5D and welcome to the forum.

For your question on suggestions:

Windshield- SUPERATV Hardcoat flip up is the way to go. Might give their roof a look over too.

Winch- the 4500# Viper Elite and mount through the HONDASXS.COM store is a very good selection.

Full UHMW skid plates: the FUTV Ultimate UHMW kit is hard to beat includes all 4 A- Arm plates too.

R

Raiford

Apr 14, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you buy it from? I’m looking now and don’t mind driving to pick it up for the right price.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you buy it from? I’m looking now and don’t mind driving to pick it up for the right price.
Hate to rain on the parade, but I could likely sell my 2018 P1k5 for that price the OP paid a year ago....and have a line of takers.

I doubt that price exists any more, anywhere for a new one.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Hate to rain on the parade, but I could likely sell my 2018 P1k5 for that price the OP paid a year ago....and have a line of takers.

I doubt that price exists any more, anywhere for a new one.

Covid price appreciation.

4 year old trucks selling for last year’s factory rebate prices.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
W

Welcome from Arizona. Enjoy your new toy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!