P1000 Can I Add Manual Paddle Shift Option?

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just purchased my first SXS, 2016 1000M3 and to my surprise it had no manual mode / paddle shifters. I had always thought that all the 1000 Pioneers had that capability.

I assume I can just order the needed parts and install? It would be nice if there was a complete parts kit, anyone know of such?

In auto, currently my only option, the machine shifts about to my liking in high range but in low range I'd love the option to short shift the gears to keep the RPM down when not needing the power. I like riding technical rocky terrain and it was driving me nuts doing so much shifting and revving in low when I took it on such a ride.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just an update since no one out there knew the answer to my question LOL

I never ran across a paddle shift kit for the Pioneer 1000 but ordered most of the 29 components needed individually, scored a few parts together on flea bay for some savings. I'm in $120 with some used parts, probably would have been around $200 if buying all new parts individually.

I haven't yet gotten everything in for a full install but did get the "SWITCH ASSY., MODE CHANGE part # (35300-HL4-A01)" in and plugged it into the existing harness plug on my base model SXS and was able to get the display to indicate it going into manual and also auto sport mode so this tells me the computer programming of the ECU is probably the same as the Deluxe models that come with paddle shift.

Now after all this I'm questioning if this will even accomplish what I'm after as I just rode a 2016 Honda Rancher DCT and see that it downshifts itself even in manual mode. WHAT'S UP HONDA??? When I put something in MANUAL MODE I want to control it MANUALLY at my discretion.

I miss the days before software engineers started doing the thinking for us and trying to idiot proof everything. Much of the joy of operating such a vehicle should be in honing your skills, in this case (shifting & taking advantage of momentum), and also learning and understanding the mechanics of how your equipment works.

J

Jscott

Sep 13, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I never ran across a paddle shift kit for the Pioneer 1000 but ordered most of the 29 components needed individually, scored a few parts together on flea bay for some savings. I'm in $120 with some used parts, probably would have been around $200 if buying all new parts individually.

I haven't yet gotten everything in for a full install but did get the "SWITCH ASSY., MODE CHANGE part # (35300-HL4-A01)" in and plugged it into the existing harness plug on my base model SXS and was able to get the display to indicate it going into manual and also auto sport mode so this tells me the computer programming of the ECU is probably the same as the Deluxe models that come with paddle shift.

Now after all this I'm questioning if this will even accomplish what I'm after as I just rode a 2016 Honda Rancher DCT and see that it downshifts itself even in manual mode. WHAT'S UP HONDA??? When I put something in MANUAL MODE I want to control it MANUALLY at my discretion.

I miss the days before software engineers started doing the thinking for us and trying to idiot proof everything. Much of the joy of operating such a vehicle should be in honing your skills, in this case (shifting & taking advantage of momentum), and also learning and understanding the mechanics of how your equipment works.

Intrested in how this works for you I have a base model 1000 also and would love to add paddle shift can you list parts needed. I haven't been able to find anything on web on whether this could be done.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

It downshifts to save the clutches since they slip at lower rpms. Lugging it would not be a good idea. I run manual mode when riding trails and I really like the auto downshift when stopping.

Good luck getting your machine converted. Would be interesting to see how much trouble it would be, and what the cost is.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It downshifts to save the clutches since they slip at lower rpms. Lugging it would not be a good idea. I run manual mode when riding trails and I really like the auto downshift when stopping.

Good luck getting your machine converted. Would be interesting to see how much trouble it would be, and what the cost is.
I'll have to retract my rant about the way that Honda Rancher downshifted in manual mode, after getting another chance to ride it a bit more I see that it doesn't downshift until well below where I'd want it to down shift anyway so my apologizes HONDA and to anyone who read my prior statements about that, Honda does usually get things right. I don't mind it downshifting well past the point where it wouldn't have any power to pull in the gear left in but I was thinking it wouldn't allow me to upshift and coast down an incline when I didn't want to utilize engine braking. One place I ride I like to free wheel down the back side of the berms in the trail to pick up momentum to climb the next one and in auto low range on my Pioneer it was driving me insane downshifting and providing maximum engine braking at a time I wanted to free wheel and increase speed. Hopefully the manual mode in the Pioneer will work like the Rancher seems to be working, I'll update and inform once I get all my parts in, installed and trail tested.

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Intrested in how this works for you I have a base model 1000 also and would love to add paddle shift can you list parts needed. I haven't been able to find anything on web on whether this could be done.
I don't really have a parts list that would be easy to copy and paste here but an easy way to see what's needed is to compare the parts diagram that can be found on various Honda OEM parts vendors' websites. Not sure if this forum permits mentioning vendors names but the one I used when looking at the "steering wheel" diagram for the "SXS1000M3 A" showed all the paddle shift parts in the diagram but didn't have them in the column on the right to put in the cart for purchase. You can take and compare their list between models "SXS1000M3 A" and say model "SXS1000M5D 2A" and the difference between those lists should be all parts needed expect for the dash switch to put the unit in manual mode which is part "35300-HL4-A01" and found on the "Meter/Switch" diagram.

Chevy_cowboy

Chevy_cowboy

Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2020
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run manual mode in low all the time on trails, the auto downshift is just about perfect IMO. It only does it when you're really lugging it or coming to a stop, I've never had it downshift when I felt it was unnecessary, and as far as I can tell it will never auto upshift in manual mode.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run manual mode in low all the time on trails, the auto downshift is just about perfect IMO. It only does it when you're really lugging it or coming to a stop, I've never had it downshift when I felt it was unnecessary, and as far as I can tell it will never auto upshift in manual mode.

No it won't upshift in manual. I forgot I was in manual one time and stared out on the road and was hitting the rev limiter

L

ltrmc02

Sep 8, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got my paddle shift installed this afternoon and it's a little disappointing as mine is downshifting earlier than I'd like so it's preventing me from being able to free wheel or at least minimize engine braking when I'm wanting to pick up momentum going down a hill. It does allow me to short shift a little in low range which is nice cause in low range auto it really revs before shifting and just doesn't shift like I want during technical trail riding situations.

Maybe a tuner will create a program to make manual mode a true manual mode instead of a semi-manual mode. As is I'm only needing the upshift paddle. I guess their idea of manual mode is just for the aggressive riders to be able to redline it and for the do-dos to not screw it up lugging it.

advertisement
B

birdman4001

Jan 17, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I have a 2019 1000M3 base model and loved the idea of adding paddle shifters/manual mode. I have all the parts installed but can't seem to find where either the paddle shifters or the switch assembly plug into the wiring harness. Anyone know if the wiring harnesses are the same between the various models? If they are the same, suggestions on where Honda tucked the connections for the shifter/manual cables?

Reactions: Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a 2019 1000M3 base model and loved the idea of adding paddle shifters/manual mode. I have all the parts installed but can't seem to find where either the paddle shifters or the switch assembly plug into the wiring harness. Anyone know if the wiring harnesses are the same between the various models? If they are the same, suggestions on where Honda tucked the connections for the shifter/manual cables?

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!