P500 Can't buy a 520

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
Dang... Called over 40 dealers in a Tri-State circle. Nobody had one in stock, only 4 could give me dates that they had one set to arrive by. The earliest was the end of April, the longest, late June. Only found one in the color I want, and from a reputable sounding dealer, so I put a deposit on it and am now waiting till it (hopefully) arrives in June.

A couple things to note for those who find themselves in the same boat. The dealers I talked to seemed to fall into one of 3 categories:
1). Upfront and honest - saying things like "I have seen one, we sold it. Now we have 2 that are set to come in, one red, and one blue, but they both have deposits holding them." That or, I sold all my inventory and am done till the summer is over as we won't see any more till then. Everyone echoed that Honda is way behind on production and that they are getting a lot of calls on the new 520, and that they have a list of folks waiting for them.
2). The unsure group - these I trusted less. Their comments were like "yea, we have some coming in, when we do, we call the people that we have deposits from (or that we have on our list), we'll call you when we get some." Following up with "when do you expect to get your next one, netted replies like "not sure, they can come anytime," or "hopefully next month." I found it funny that some dealers could tell me the exact date a delivery was expected from their order/shipping sheet, and others didn't have a clue or visibility of any such sheet. Seemed fishy.
3). The not trustworthy. Their replies were along the lines of "we have a wish list, we send it out, I'll put you on our wish list." Other replies were along the lines of "some dealers, they deny their inventory so it gets sent to other dealers." My least favorite was "we have a bunch on order, and I can sell you one if you put a deposit on it." When I asked when they would arrive, I was told, they couldn't tell me, or didn't know.

The litmus test wound up being "what color is the one you have coming in, that you are selling." Any dealers that said they didn't know, were just putting me on a "wish list" scenario. The ones that had a color, and also had a very specific delivery date and could go over details like, it will get shipped on this date, Honda has been pretty good about that. If it comes into Seattle it will take X days to get here but if it comes into California, it will be Y instead they seemed like they were the much more honest ones. The one I bought was from a dealer like that, and he even wrote on my deposit invoice that "if unit does not arrive by July, will refund deposit." Which considering other dealerships told me they couldn't refund the deposit seemed very legit.

Just a heads up on what I found, and your mileage may vary. There is definitely a wide range of communication, transparency and honesty that seemed to vary greatly in all my calls. The majority were good folks, but there were enough snake like ones that it made me take notice. It looks like it is going to be a long time before inventory catches up to demand on these little gems.

Reactions: JRF and Morpheus
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I found the same as you looking for a talon.

The trustworthy dealer showed me his order sheet on his computer. Some were due in April or another month. Some said spring or fall for “latest delivery”.

H

HondaTech

Problem is, delivery dates/month change weekly sometimes daily.

We might order 2, told we're getting 1 and end up with 5 by the time all is said and done.

Inventory analyst are lost as how to divide units. We couldnt get CRF50s last year. Yet another dealer in our district had leftover "19 amd '20 models and were getting '21 models in. They'd received a truck load of them the previous Christmas season. Meanwhile we had 5 2 seat LV X Talons and it seemed like no one else had any. But we couldn't get a 4 seater to save our lives.

Reactions: Morpheus
J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
First I apologize for not having photos.
Honda Marysville, Ohio had a red 520 outside in the front lawn and also had a blue 520 to the side (possibly sold??)

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I am thinking HondaTech could probably speak more to this - I believe it depends on the dealer. Don’t know if it is ‘b.s.’ or not, but the dealer here in Salt Lake City stated they were a “Power 5” dealership meaning the get priority. When I bought mine, they had four in inventory - one of each color. I was just there 2 days ago and they had the camo one out on the front lawn. The only parts they did not have in stock when I purchased mine was the bed rails; supposed to come in at the end of this month.

On the other hand, all other dealers within the SLC area didn’t know when they would get one. Those folks told me probably late summer.

HondaWorld in SLC is dedicated Honda; all other dealerships that sold Honda also sold Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris, etc...so i do wonder if there is some truth as to what my dealer told me.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I had a dealer with one in stock tell me they got priority because they were a Power 5 dealership. They had a P520 and a lot of other Honda units in stock. Much more than other dealerships within a two hour drive. They also quoted me a price that was $2,500 more (including accessories for both quotes) than I eventually paid at my local dealership.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
P520's ARE showing up at Dealer's in Central N.Y.
When searching P520 DOORS to put on P500. Contacted several dealers.
My interest in P520 doors Dealer's must have assumed I was interested in P520.( Not unless they add a LOT of Power to turn the tracks ) Keeping the Little RedB!tch for now.

Feb during snow storm Dealer called & offeredd me with a Red P520 just assembled & Ready to go.
List Price - plus tax. ( NO SETUP FEE ) Great Price I declined.

Monday this week a different Dealer called offered to put my name on P520 unit coming in June .
List Price -- 600.00 Setup Fee -- plus tax. DECLINED

Last edited:
Mini Trail Mark

Mini Trail Mark

Jun 8, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Don’t lose hope, ordered my camouflage P520 February 23rd, arrived July 1st. Yes they are in production. Supply chain issues are lessening, chips are flowing, plastic is flowing, vaccines are working. If you have one ordered, hang in, they are amazing 🤩

D76B5C7C 27FD 4545 BEC7 903BE0628144

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Been there done that. Sold my Foreman wanting a 520, but none were anywhere in site, looking at 6 month ETA. I found a 2015 500 and snapped it up.

Now researching if there is a tilt bed add on for it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Been there done that. Sold my Foreman wanting a 520, but none were anywhere in site, looking at 6 month ETA. I found a 2015 500 and snapped it up.

Now researching if there is a tilt bed add on for it.
Pretty easy to make yourself if you don’t need it to be a dump bed, and plenty of examples in the P5 forums to help you in your decision. If you need it to dump, that can (and has) been done with a little engineering and a good set of fabrication skills….😊

B

Badge

Feb 19, 2021
Deltona Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This may help you. I wanted to see a 520 before I purchased one. Went to several dealers, surprise surprise none found. Went to a Honda dealer in Deland Fl. Found a 520 on display floor. Liked it and bought it 1 month ago. Manager and I were talking about distribution and he explained that they only sell Honda products. This is what dealers call a Power dealership. Honda supplies these dealers often. The same dealer also had 2 P1000 and another 520 available. If you know what you want, look for a dealership that only sells Honda products. They are getting shipments much faster than others. Best of luck

Reactions: Mudwing and Bmurray
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is what dealers call a Power dealership.
Yep, Honda Powerhouse dealers are exclusively Honda, have the best parts and stock inventory. Of course even some of them are suffering now….

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
When I was looking for my P520 back in February-March, I had a $200 deposit on the one I eventually bought from a multi-brand dealer. Meanwhile a Honda powerhouse dealer in MD got a P520, and with the same accessories as the other one I had a deposit on, quoted me $1,600 more. I decided that for $1,600, I could wait another month or two. The powerhouse dealer charged ridiculous set-up fees, full price for accessories (other dealer gave me 15% discount) and excessive accessory installation fees (other dealer installed everything for free). And even if all other factors were equal, the multi-brand dealer where I made the purchase is 30 minutes away, while the powerhouse dealer is 2 hours away.

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
Well, it finally arrived! Ordered in March and 7 months later, the dealer calls and tells me it's in. They sold it to me at MSRP plus the Honda destination charge - no additional markup. Would highly recommend Cliffs Honda in Baker City, Oregon. They were upfront, honest and didn't take advantage of the situation in any way - or ever try to bulls*** me on availability or how the process works to get one. Drove 5 hours each way but its already being worked - thrilled new owner!

20211030 084622

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, it finally arrived! Ordered in March and 7 months later, the dealer calls and tells me it's in. They sold it to me at MSRP plus the Honda destination charge - no additional markup. Would highly recommend Cliffs Honda in Baker City, Oregon. They were upfront, honest and didn't take advantage of the situation in any way - or ever try to bulls*** me on availability or how the process works to get one. Drove 5 hours each way but its already being worked - thrilled new owner!

View attachment 302309
Congrats!

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

View attachment 302309
Congrats! I drove from Omaha to Glenwood Springs Colorado to pick one up. Still super happy even if I had to travel and paid $10,400 with no accessories

Rob.

Reactions: JRF and Dave75

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!