Car Insurance Going Up?

PSquare

PSquare

Supporting Member
May 9, 2023
Whitwell, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Got the renewal on one of our cars recently, went from $389 to $451. No claims. No accidents. No tickets. Over 60 years old. Only excuse I can get from provider (SF) is there is an across the board price increase on all renewals. They tell me the other cars I own will go up too.

Is anyone seeing this in their neck of the woods?

I went to another company (Farm Bureau) for a quote. They are cheaper across the board. Quote was $349 for the car going up to $451 at SF. Even my homeowners policy quote was hundreds less.

Is it all smoke to get us in the door or am I a fool for not changing companies? We've been with SF since 1977 and up to now been happy with their prices. Not had to use their services much through the decades. Had one roof replaced 10 years ago due to a hailstorm but no accidents or tickets with our cars. My spouse and I are concerned about jumping ship. Is there any benefit with staying loyal to SF vs going with a better price? I wouldn't go to "The General" or any of those internet companies. I think Farm Bureau is pretty big in TN.

Just your thoughts....

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Insurance is one of those things where shopping around pays big. None of the companies care about loyalty anymore. It's kinda like satellite TV. Check the prices every couple of years and switch...

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
7% YOY inflation for the past 2 years. Cost to repair a car has gone WAY up. Cost to rebuild a house has gone WAY up. Cost to transport everything that might need to be repaired or replaced has gone WAY up.

As a result, yes, premiums are going up everywhere, even with a pristine record.

Our homeowners when up 27% from our 21-22 policy to our 22-23 policy. Then from the 22-23 policy to the 23-24 policy, it went up 30%. That's a 67% rate increase from the 21-22 rate to the 23-24 rate. What for? Absolutely nothing. Perfect credit, zero claims (until this year, which will hose me NEXT year), and late 50's.

Welcome to post-COVID shut down the entire US economy then pretend you saved the country Bidenomics and Bidenflation.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got the renewal on one of our cars recently, went from $389 to $451. No claims. No accidents. No tickets. Over 60 years old. Only excuse I can get from provider (SF) is there is an across the board price increase on all renewals. They tell me the other cars I own will go up too.

I went to another company (Farm Bureau) for a quote. They are cheaper across the board. Quote was $349 for the car going up to $451 at SF. Even my homeowners policy quote was hundreds less.

Is it all smoke to get us in the door or am I a fool for not changing companies? We've been with SF since 1977 and up to now been happy with their prices. Not had to use their services much through the decades. Had one roof replaced 10 years ago due to a hailstorm but no accidents or tickets with our cars. My spouse and I are concerned about jumping ship. Is there any benefit with staying loyal to SF vs going with a better price? I wouldn't go to "The General" or any of those internet companies. I think Farm Bureau is pretty big in TN.

Just your thoughts....
Shop your insurance every policy renewal. “Loyalty” just means you pay more. They’ll drop you without a second thought no matter how “loyal” you’ve been to them.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Doesn't matter what you pay, their going to f*** you anyhow. I only keep full coverage on the vehicles I owe money on. After there paid off its the cheapest coverage on the vehicle I can get. It's all a damm scam.
Even when paid off, I keep full coverage on vehicles that would cost me more than I'm comfortable to replace out of pocket. No way am I letting my wife and kid drive around in vehicles I've just paid off that would cost me $30-40K or more to replace because they were in an accident. And I don't skimp on liability insurance - one accident and you could lose everything you've worked to own.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Our cars and Pioneer are with USAA and I've been a member with them since 1977. Our home insurance is with Farm Bureau. They have both had increases yearly. USAA is still higher on home insurance even with us having the autos insured with them. We did have a fire claim on the Farm Bureau but they have still gone up Year after year. The one good thing about USAA is we receive a dividend check at the end of each year and they are competively priced against other auto insurers. All that being said, I would shop around, they aren't loyal to anyone and I've never seen any insurance company working out of a lean to building.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Just your thoughts....
🤨.....that $350-$450 quote, is that monthly, 6 months, or a year policy??

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
State Farm is typically high from what I have experienced. Look for the reputable companies that don't bombard the TV with advertisements. Erie, Cincinnati, Westfield are some I have used personally and for business. All have had great service and claims payment. Also a good local agent that can shop around for you is a plus.

Parents were die hard State Farm for years, I started with them and quickly found out there were much cheaper options. Took a few years for them to give in but they eventually switched also.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just your thoughts....
My wife and I have state farm also. Our 2 vehicles and the house insurance went up. Their explanation for it was basically what scoop said

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Just your thoughts....
She-I-T...... I'd be ecstatic with that sort of premium. No one is allowed to complain about premium prices if you ain't from MI.....lol

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
She-I-T...... I'd be ecstatic with that sort of premium. No one is allowed to complain about premium prices if you ain't from MI.....lol
True, we get raped here. I was with Farm Bureau for about 15 yrs and there was a bunch of increases. Called my agent and he said there was nothing he could do about it. Told him you're forcing me to shop around then. He said do what you've got to do. Jumped to Allstate and been with them ever since. Insurance on the P5 actually went down this yr from $212 to $194. They take care of me but I have a lot of sh!t insured with them.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
3 newer....ish trucks w full coverage plus the old 4runner w PLPD, add to that a driver under 25 (Lil'906UP) whi is still on our policy......yup, bend over

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm at $1,938/6 months for 2 vehicles. The buggy is $476/yr, and my homeowners insurance is a butthole raping $7,600/yr.........🤦‍♂️ I need to move 🙄
You got me on the homeowners but hurricanes and all. We probably shouldn't compare property taxes :oops:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!