JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You got me on the homeowners but hurricanes and all. We probably shouldn't compare property taxes :oops:
Yeah hurricane coverage is the biggest BS of all of them, + anywhere from 3 to 5% of property value deductible for hurricane damage. Property taxes are just shy of 7K also for just 1.5 acres 🤦‍♂️ trust me this is not a contest I'd like to win 😂😂😭😭😭🤬

If I had a 3rd vehicle on my policy I'd probably be over your $2,700......South FL has gotten ridiculously stupid with premiums

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You can't necessarily compare property tax dollar amounts, as one guy living in a shack where the millage rate is 38 mils can pay more dollars than a guy with a super nice place where the millage rate is 16 mils.

We moved in 2020 and our property taxes quadrupled just 3.2 miles down the road from the old house. Fick this state and the townships, too.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can't necessarily compare property tax dollar amounts, as one guy living in a shack where the millage rate is 38 mils can pay more dollars than a guy with a super nice place where the millage rate is 16 mils.

We moved in 2020 and our property taxes quadrupled just 3.2 miles down the road from the old house. Fick this state and the townships, too.
I hear how bad Michigan is from several members, yet no one has moved. 🤔

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm at $1,938/6 months for 2 vehicles. The buggy is $476/yr, and my homeowners insurance is a butthole raping $7,600/yr.........🤦‍♂️ I need to move 🙄
Mine doesn't seem so bad now. $600 every 6 months for 2 vehicles. $1000 a year house insurance which is for a 5 year old, 2300 Sq ft custom built house. Rincon, pioneer, boat and camper are around $800 a year added together. Yall should look at progressive for "toy" insurance. That's who our pioneer, rincon and camper are with

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That's because picking up and moving to another state, regardless of what state you live in, is not an easy task or decision. There are many factors that keep people in states they don't like, including:

Many people have jobs they don't want to leave, such as police, fire, government, etc., and leaving means they give up their pensions or retirement benefits.

Many people stay because they don't want to upend their children's lives by moving schools and moving them away from their friends. Many have great school systems and don't want to lose that moving somewhere else.

As soon as the kids are old enough and move out, those same people often have to start caring for their aging parents, and they can't leave the state if they need to do that.

Many people own small businesses in their state, and moving means they would have to start all over again (and it might not be a viable business in the new state).

Same goes for people with very high-paying jobs - they can't find a similar job in a low tax state, and they like the idea of their high-paying job.

Short commute to work? Moving may require you to give that up with a new job and house.

Many people stay because that's where the rest of their family lives and they don't' want to live far away from them.

Many stay because, despite the burden of higher taxes, their cultural and moral values align with those in their current state.

There are many more reasons why people don't flee state that they may "hate".

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's because picking up and moving to another state, regardless of what state you live in, is not an easy task or decision. There are many factors that keep people in states they don't like, including:

Many people have jobs they don't want to leave, such as police, fire, government, etc., and leaving means they give up their pensions or retirement benefits.

Many people stay because they don't want to upend their children's lives by moving schools and moving them away from their friends. Many have great school systems and don't want to lose that moving somewhere else.

As soon as the kids are old enough and move out, those same people often have to start caring for their aging parents, and they can't leave the state if they need to do that.

Many people own small businesses in their state, and moving means they would have to start all over again (and it might not be a viable business in the new state).

Same goes for people with very high-paying jobs - they can't find a similar job in a low tax state, and they like the idea of their high-paying job.

Short commute to work? Moving may require you to give that up with a new job and house.

Many people stay because that's where the rest of their family lives and they don't' want to live far away from them.

Many stay because, despite the burden of higher taxes, their cultural and moral values align with those in their current state.

I've always felt, stay and fight for your State or Country.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I did, but stayed in MI, we tried TX for a year but.....well....let's just say I'm of the opinion we can give TX to Mex and be better off, phuck that state. When we moved North our property taxes were reduced by about 700%, we downsized but are better off for it. Now everything is paid for. Phuck that fancy house just to impress your neighbors.

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got the renewal on one of our cars recently, went from $389 to $451. No claims. No accidents. No tickets. Over 60 years old. Only excuse I can get from provider (SF) is there is an across the board price increase on all renewals. They tell me the other cars I own will go up too.

Is anyone seeing this in their neck of the woods?

I went to another company (Farm Bureau) for a quote. They are cheaper across the board. Quote was $349 for the car going up to $451 at SF. Even my homeowners policy quote was hundreds less.

Is it all smoke to get us in the door or am I a fool for not changing companies? We've been with SF since 1977 and up to now been happy with their prices. Not had to use their services much through the decades. Had one roof replaced 10 years ago due to a hailstorm but no accidents or tickets with our cars. My spouse and I are concerned about jumping ship. Is there any benefit with staying loyal to SF vs going with a better price? I wouldn't go to "The General" or any of those internet companies. I think Farm Bureau is pretty big in TN.

Just your thoughts....
Using an Independent broker. They help with home, farm, liability, all my machines and vehicles including 2 pioneer 700’s. Happy with service ladies personal touch.

My broker grew up in rural area helping on farm.

Had a lot of trouble with farm bureaus claims process and hatchet man attempted not to pay when farm house was burnt down by neighbors step son attempt to cook meth.

They gave also trouble on claim of stolen cattle. Claimed it was mysterious disappearance. Cows just don’t leave the herd on their own. Seems like farm bureau employees would have some expertise in rural areas. Finally had to go to state directors. That should not happen.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mine doesn't seem so bad now. $600 every 6 months for 2 vehicles. $1000 a year house insurance which is for a 5 year old, 2300 Sq ft custom built house. Rincon, pioneer, boat and camper are around $800 a year added together. Yall should look at progressive for "toy" insurance. That's who our pioneer, rincon and camper are with
That's who I have for the buggy insurance, cheapest so far

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I'm sure Gretchen appreciates those reasons.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
For PL customers, if you are insured by a direct writer, shop every couple of years. If you are with an independent agent, have them run quotes with other companies if you don’t like the premium increase(s).

For CL customers it is more complicated. You can shop for a slightly lower premium but it will eventually catch up with you.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well I cant afford to do that or believe me Id be with @906UP or up near my cabin where its much cheeper and little to no libs. It has alot to do with work. My Wife has 28 years in at the UofM Cancer Center with a great pension coming and medical thats hard to beat when we hit 55.
Im an owner of an emloyee owned co for the last 20yrs. That has treated me good. Even though all the other BS like insureance and taxes living in southern Mi its not that easy to just leave at this moment.

We have good Automotive (the Motor City) jobs in this state that pay well and have good pensions, contruction and Trades are very good as well. Thats why you dont see anyone just packing up and moving.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm sure Gretchen appreciates those reasons.
It's irrelevant what she appreciates.

IMHO, expecting someone to shutter their business, uproot their kids, give up the pension & benefits from a job they've worked at for many years, and/or ignoring their aging parents over saving some tax dollars is highly unreasonable.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

IMHO, expecting someone to shutter their business, uproot their kids, give up the pension & benefits from a job they've worked at for many years, and/or ignoring their aging parents over saving some tax dollars is highly unreasonable.
If that's your opinion then do what you need to. I just made an observation that a lot of people b**** about Michigan but are still there.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Well some think there just foder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!