CGD

CGD

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I bought a 2020 Pioneer 100-5 Deluxe a few months ago and I love it. Hell, we recently bought a Pioneer 700-2 for our kids because we like it so much.
Well, my razor driving buddies are traveling to ride other trails in our great state of Missouri and I couldn't go because I didn't have a trailer so I recently bought a trailer that needs a little work.
The trailer currently has worn out car tires on it, dual axle 6 foot 6 inches x 16 feet long, and I need to replace them.
Car tires are easy to find for a good price and I don't think I'll ever haul anything heavier than my 1000-5 on it. Will car tires lead to my fiery demise, necessitating actual trailer tires, or will I be fine if I don't overload them for a few hours drive 4 or 5 times a year ?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I bought a 2020 Pioneer 100-5 Deluxe a few months ago and I love it. Hell, we recently bought a Pioneer 700-2 for our kids because we like it so much.
Well, my razor driving buddies are traveling to ride other trails in our great state of Missouri and I couldn't go because I didn't have a trailer so I recently bought a trailer that needs a little work.
The trailer currently has worn out car tires on it, dual axle 6 foot 6 inches x 16 feet long, and I need to replace them.
Car tires are easy to find for a good price and I don't think I'll ever haul anything heavier than my 1000-5 on it. Will car tires lead to my fiery demise, necessitating actual trailer tires, or will I be fine if I don't overload them for a few hours drive 4 or 5 times a year ?
I've had regular car tires on small trailers b4 and they are ok, they wear a lot faster and tend to bounce a bit more also. I just recently replaced a set on my trailer (just the tire) and they were relatively cheap. @ walmart a set (2)10ply trailer king tires were about $130 delivered to store. For a 16' tandem I would recommend the right tire. Good luck!
And remember.......pics or it didn't happen!!!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If something happens I could see lawyers and insurance companies using it against you. For that reason I personally wouldn’t do it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If something happens I could see lawyers and insurance companies using it against you. For that reason I personally wouldn’t do it.
I used BF Goodrich Ta Radials on my single axel 20 foot Bass boat trailer for years, made several trips to Canada with them, weight is weight and I ran 75 MPH there and back. I wouldn't have a problem with running 10 ply radials on a trailer. Probably what I will buy for replacements before the 2021 TO. And they ride a lot smother than a trailer tire.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I'm no expert, but I did work for a company that manufactured trailer mounted equipment for the oil and gas business. I was in sales and marketing, but our our trailer manufacturer was on my way to work and sometimes if one was ready, I would stop by and pick it up and bring it to the shop. I remember a discussion about this with the trailer company folks that custom built our trailers.

They said that the big difference between trailer and car/truck tires was the side walls. Trailer sidewalls are much stiffer than car sidewalls and are made to support heavy loads. Car/light truck sidewalls are thinner and more flexible for a more comfortable ride. Trailer tires are also less likely to sway or fishtail because of the stiffer, heavier side walls. I recall they told me if I ever had to pull a trailer with regular tires on it, to be sure and air them up to the maximum pressure allowed on the tire sidewall, and don't overload it.

Perhaps you could get by with car tires if you don't carry anything heavy and keep them aired up to maximum allowable pressure.

Last edited:
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I found 8 ply goodride tires mounted on new wheels at a trailer supply wholesaler they were $280.00 for 4 out the door. I just asked what was the cheapest 8 ply setup they had. I've had car tires on the same trailer and It definitely swayed harder when loaded heavy.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm no expert, but I did work for a company that manufactured trailer mounted equiptment for the oil and gas business. I was in sales and marketing, but our our trailer manufacturer was on my way to work and sometimes if one was ready, I would stop by and pick it up and bring it to the shop. I remember a discussion about this with the trailer company folks that custom built our trailers.

They said that the big difference between trailer and car/truck tires was the side walls. Trailer sidewalls are much stiffer than car sidewalls and are made to support heavy loads. Car/light truck sidewalls are thinner and more flexible for a more comfortable ride. Trailer tires are also less likely to sway or fishtail because of the stiffer, heavier side walls. I recall they told me if I ever had to pull a trailer with regular tires on it, to be sure and air them up to the maximum pressure allowed on the tire sidewall, and don't overload it.

Perhaps you could get by with car tires if you don't carry anything heavy and keep them aired up to maximum allowable pressure.
No expert either, but I had a 7000 lbs axel under my bass boat so when I turned sharp I didn't have the front tires fighting the rear tires. Boat & trailer weighed in at 4000 lbs, it worked great. On our Trac Hoe & trailer 4 tons, think I will always run trailer tires.

CGD

CGD

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Thanks for all of your responses to this. I've found decent prices on some 15" trailer tires but the cheaper ones are bias ply and the radials cost more.
I didn't even know that they made bias ply trailer tires so I don't know if they are any good.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trailer tires are not made to the same standards as truck / suv tires....they are often bias ply vs radial and actually only have to meet lower DOT standards.

They are also much lower in speed rating and do not have the same level of safety factor a light truck tire has vs a trailer tire. If a trailer tire says rated for X lbs...it won’t take much more than that.

Its not uncommon for stock trailers to have LT truck tires...my flat bed has 6, 235/85/16 Uniroyal LT tires from the factory. My stock trailer has LT tires. It’s nice running down the interstate at 80 mph and not worring about a China bomb trailer tire popping on a hot day.

Watch the weight rating and air pressures and motor on.

PS, don’t use a real 4 ply car tire, only LT tires with a proper load rating or trailer tires.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all of your responses to this. I've found decent prices on some 15" trailer tires but the cheaper ones are bias ply and the radials cost more.
I didn't even know that they made bias ply trailer tires so I don't know if they are any good.
Mine are bias ply. I prefer bias tires they have always given me better service. I've got over 25k on the current tires and have had them at high speed loaded and empty throughout. I pull my toys with my trailer on the weekend and wind up dragging it to work a day or two a week. A lot of my normal use is wv gravel and rough road. I'll be replacing them with the same soon and moving these to a less use trailer or spares.

D

DDDonkey

I just put new tires on my trailer and when with trailer tires (10 ply), that is because they where cheaper than the LT in the same size. I always look at the weight rate of the tires too, some "car" tires can't carry the weight. In my experience trailer tires wear faster than truck tires (LT) but I replace them ever 3-4 years because I wear them out.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These guys pretty much covered it all, trailer tires have a stiffer side wall and are designed not to sway. I’ve been pulling trailers and have had car tires trailer tires flat tires and no tires, (I like trailer tires the best.) you can check tractor supply or Walmart or your local tire shop, more than likely they will have to be ordered. If you decide to go the car tire route, like @Vikes79 go with LT tires. Oh and trailer tires will have an ST on the sidewall. Just pay attention to tire condition and weight and you should be fine.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just put new tires on my trailer and when with trailer tires (10 ply), that is because they where cheaper than the LT in the same size. I always look at the weight rate of the tires too, some "car" tires can't carry the weight. In my experience trailer tires wear faster than truck tires (LT) but I replace them ever 3-4 years because I wear them out.

Same here, I’ve never seen a trailer tire last more than 15k miles or 3 years.

They usually start side wall checking in the 3rd year or start cracking down the tread pattern.

Most of a trailers life (on average) is actually sitting still out in the sun.

CGD

CGD

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Okay, I'll go with trailer tires to be on the safe side. I can try to save money in other areas of this project. The trailer had a tree fall on it smashing the top rail and fender and a slight bend in the main frame rail on the passenger side. I bought it like that because I have welded for most of my life and I enjoy projects like this .

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Okay, I'll go with trailer tires to be on the safe side. I can try to save money in other areas of this project. The trailer had a tree fall on it smashing the top rail and fender and a slight bend in the main frame rail on the passenger side. I bought it like that because I have welded for most of my life and I enjoy projects like this .
If a guy has a garage or shop, there should be a welder or two in it. BZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZT BZZZZZZZT 👍 :cool:

CGD

CGD

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I hope to get some work done on the trailer project next weekend. I helped my buddy that got me the deal on the trailer pick up a 1970 Ford tandem axle dump truck this past weekend so no time for my project.
The truck had been sitting for 10 years and, over the course of 2 weekends, we were able to get the old 534 V8 running good, sort out the air brakes, and fix wiring destroyed by mice. We got it 60 miles using a $12 electric fuel pump and 5 gallon gas cans in the passenger floor !
The old fuel lines were chewed by mice and the tank needs to be cleaned so we used redneck engineering to get it done.

KIMG1019

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!