Carrying hot or not - Poll

Is your chamber HOT or NOT

• Yes I'm comfortable with shooting someone in the face without racking my slide!

Votes: 56 88.9%
  • No I don't practice with my firearm and I rack my slide so I don't shoot my junk off.

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm proficient enough to snap the slide and have more in the target than most and the Kahr never fails to feed. They may get a shot off before me but they better hit the target because I'm not going to miss. Knew I'd be ridiculed for answering honestly, the poll itself talks sh** and makes assumptions. Carrying hot doesn't make your nuts bigger. :rolleyes:

You do get more in the target(assuming you can shoot) if you don’t have to rack one.

BUT You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT it doesn’t make your nuts bigger and if someone doesn’t want to or doesn’t feel comfortable doing it then they shouldn’t and shouldn’t catch any crap for it.

I think it’s personal preference and comfort zone in some cases. I carry IWB(at first “I” did not because I was not comfortable having a chambered round pointed at my boys) and OWB and I make sure to keep that finger away from the bang switch until I’m ready to make it go bang.

I have a Blackhawk OWB (I’m gonna catch it for having one of those) and I’ve seen exactly why people shoot themselves with them. They dig that finger into the release and then when it slides out of the holster, right into the trigger. Keep it straight and pointed the same direction as the barrel, practice, practice, practice, practice and then practice, practice, practice more.

I have a XD-9 double stack, subcompact I carry IWB and I have worn the coating off the slide practicing and shooting from IWB and OWB. My XDM-45 is the same way. I don’t care if it’s pretty IF I ever have to use it, and to be fair I hope I never HAVE to but I will. I’d rather be the one breathing with an ugly gun.

We can argue makes another time but whatever you have you need to practice with it until you can shoot it safely, almost without having to think about it. Still need to make sure you know who/what you’re shooting at.

J

JTW

I'm proficient enough to snap the slide and have more in the target than most and the Kahr never fails to feed. They may get a shot off before me but they better hit the target because I'm not going to miss. Knew I'd be ridiculed for answering honestly, the poll itself talks sh** and makes assumptions. Carrying hot doesn't make your nuts bigger. :rolleyes:
So is the chip permanently attached to your shoulder or did it just come with the shirt? I guess I’d have one too if I couldn’t handle carrying a loaded weapon.

J

JTW

4554AEB6 20A1 4044 8E99 8F82EB92E3E2

Reactions: trigger and drfubar
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You do get more in the target(assuming you can shoot) if you don’t have to rack one.

BUT You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT it doesn’t make your nuts bigger and if someone doesn’t want to or doesn’t feel comfortable doing it then they shouldn’t and shouldn’t catch any crap for it.

I think it’s personal preference and comfort zone in some cases. I carry IWB(at first “I” did not because I was not comfortable having a chambered round pointed at my boys) and OWB and I make sure to keep that finger away from the bang switch until I’m ready to make it go bang.

I have a Blackhawk OWB (I’m gonna catch it for having one of those) and I’ve seen exactly why people shoot themselves with them. They dig that finger into the release and then when it slides out of the holster, right into the trigger. Keep it straight and pointed the same direction as the barrel, practice, practice, practice, practice and then practice, practice, practice more.

I have a XD-9 double stack, subcompact I carry IWB and I have worn the coating off the slide practicing and shooting from IWB and OWB. My XDM-45 is the same way. I don’t care if it’s pretty IF I ever have to use it, and to be fair I hope I never HAVE to but I will. I’d rather be the one breathing with an ugly gun.

We can argue makes another time but whatever you have you need to practice with it until you can shoot it safely, almost without having to think about it. Still need to make sure you know who/what you’re shooting at.
At least you recognize the issue with the Blackhawk holster. Safariland makes a good quick retention holster ALS I believe. This is an open top and quick to draw from - OWB only I think.

Reactions: JTW
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Taurus model 651 .357mag. DA only. No empty chambers. Teach your children well.... That's what I would do if I were to own a firearm.

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At least you recognize the issue with the Blackhawk holster. Safariland makes a good quick retention holster ALS I believe. This is an open top and quick to draw from - OWB only I think.

I don’t see it as an issue with the holster. When used correctly it’s not an issue, you shouldn’t be sticking your finger in there on draw anyway. But when billy “tacticool” badass shows up with his brand new highly modified handgun he thought looked cool and a brand new serpa because he saw officer “X” had one. His feet and thigh likely need to beware.

I really like the safariland but I have worn out a Blackhawk. So it’s what I know, it used to be an annoyance because some indoor ranges won’t let you use them but want you to holster your weapon.

But now I have my own range so the rangemaster lets me slide.

In between all this rain I’ve been welding up some new steel, replacing some steel, and replacing my target holders.

My Ret. Army neighbor brought his M4 and didn’t tell me he had Green tips he was shooting to get rid of so he replaced my dueling tree.

5a0fddbf4486840d3b6fc20c409b75bb

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I started this thread because I knew it's a volatile subject. I wanted to see who and why. I've said it before, Gabe Suarez I believe has it right. Shoot them in the face and it really doesn't matter what you are shooting. I practice that way only. Unless I'm at arms length and then it's center mass as quick as you can. That doesn't mean pull it, rack it and then shoot. If you are at arm's length you need to make a little distance and that means one arm/hand has to be used for that as you move one side or the other, while the other is pulling your weapon. I have no problem with someone carrying with their chamber clear. If I get into a gun fight, I just hope the person I have to shoot believes in that. I will have a distinct advantage.;)

advertisement
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went thru all the shooter courses and stuff, and I'll be damned if I can figure out the 7 foot rule. After 10 years as a recon marine and numerous engagements with the enemy, if you don't have your side arm out and engaged within arms length of your opponent you better damn well be fighting for your life with both hands until you can get yourself enough distance to draw it aim it then fire it accurately. Problem is if you are far enough away and thumb cock that thunder stick you go to jail for man slaughter. I just don't get it.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500
My CC permits requires me to have a chambered round - yes locked & cocked

Reactions: JWB
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
I went thru all the shooter courses and stuff, and I'll be damned if I can figure out the 7 foot rule. After 10 years as a recon marine and numerous engagements with the enemy, if you don't have your side arm out and engaged within arms length of your opponent you better damn well be fighting for your life with both hands until you can get yourself enough distance to draw it aim it then fire it accurately. Problem is if you are far enough away and thumb cock that thunder stick you go to jail for man slaughter. I just don't get it.

It’s actually 7 yards/21 feet. Tueller Drill Tueller Drill - Wikipedia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JWB and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is a video for discussion on carrying your firearm hot or not... Anyone that has watched my gun videos knows how I feel about this, how about you. (This ought to be good):rolleyes:
Really? Im jacked all the time! That's why I carry a 357 mag revolver for panic situations, no thinking, just point and squeeze and safe if your not looking in the barrel when you squeeze. Planed attack would be the 45 auto, it really makes nice size holes, well 357 Mag does also!

Reactions: JWB
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I laugh when watching a show and the LEO with a pistol or shotgun, 'ratchets' one into the chamber! REALLY! WTH carries an empty chamber, except Barney!!! The concept of having to use a safety is just as dumb. Carried revolvers and semi-auto everyday for 32+ yrs without a safety. Same goes for in my home, I prefer a baseball bat over and empty gun.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I started this thread because I knew it's a volatile subject. I wanted to see who and why. I've said it before, Gabe Suarez I believe has it right. Shoot them in the face and it really doesn't matter what you are shooting. I practice that way only. Unless I'm at arms length and then it's center mass as quick as you can. That doesn't mean pull it, rack it and then shoot. If you are at arm's length you need to make a little distance and that means one arm/hand has to be used for that as you move one side or the other, while the other is pulling your weapon. I have no problem with someone carrying with their chamber clear. If I get into a gun fight, I just hope the person I have to shoot believes in that. I will have a distinct advantage.;)
Distance is a good thing, BUT if the bad guy has a gun draw, time is against you. We were trained in a close quarters situation to pull the weapon out, tucked in just above the holster next to your side and let it eat. There is no need to have your arm/pistol out in front of you.

That is not the case around here. If the other guy has a weapon on you, you have the right to defend yourself/others whether 10 ft away or 10 yds away.

advertisement