P1000 CATVOS Pioneer 1000, 3 Inch Lift Install!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Great info! Bummer that the kit didn't fit perfectly. I guess there goes my plan of having it completely installed while the wife is at work. Machine is still new enough, I don't think she will notice the extra height. Mine should show up tomorrow.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Reactions: pct
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@joeymt33 Thanks for going into all the detail and great pics. I know it takes you twice as long when messing with a camera at each step. Bummed to hear the quality control on the CATVOS setup was not up to par, one would think they have a jig made up to lay the A-arms in so all the tabs are the same. IF I end up going this route I may give ORB (Off Road Beast) a shot at it since they are in Paris, TN would not be too far away from me. It would be harder to tell a guy to go get stuffed if they complain about the build quality when they are on your business doorstep with evidence in person. Personally for $1500 I would be contacting them and sending some pics, I'm sure if they were aware a few thousand people will see this and what they shipped out may gain you some leverage.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@joeymt33 Thanks for going tin to all the detail and great pics. I know it takes you twice as long when messing with a camera at each step. Bummed to hear the quality control on the CATVOS setup was not up to par, one would think they have a jig made up to lay the A-arms in so all the tabs are the same. IF I end up going this route I may give ORB (Off Road Beast) a shot at it since they are in Paris, TN would not be too far away from me. It would be harder to tell a guy to go get stuffed if they complain about the build quality when they are on your business doorstep with evidence in person. Personally for $1500 I would be contacting them and sending some pics, I'm sure if they were aware a few thousand people will see this and what they shipped out may gain you some leverage.

I have already emailed them and they were nice enough to contact me today on Sunday. The email was short but said they will call me tomorrow.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have already emailed them and they were nice enough to contact me today on Sunday. The email was short but said they will call me tomorrow.
I would send them a link to this thread, once they see all the detailed pics with measurements they will realize they are not talking to Goober from Mayberry.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would send them a link to this thread, once they see all the detailed pics with measurements they will realize they are not talking to Goober from Mayberry.

Yup, did that too. I hope it saves some heart ache for other guys.

Not everyone has access to presses, pullers, welders, etc to handle issues like this.

Reactions: pct and ghost
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Fingers crossed that is was just a few mistakes with one kit. Fortunately I have all the equipment I might need, well minus a post lift. I will definitely updated everyone if I have fitment issues or not.

You did a great job documenting the issues, I should be able to work through it.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn... I was hoping these were going to be exactly what I was looking for, but I don't have some of the tools, or the patience, to modify aftermarket parts to fit like they should. Hopefully (no offense) you got a dud from a bad batch.

Please let us know what CATVOS has to say, and I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have had another issues.

Reactions: pct and ghost
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Update after talking to Scott at CATVOS.

He handled the situation very professionally and I have found a good company that stands behind their products.

Basically, I was sent by accident a prototype set that was built by hand and not built using the jigs for the production runs. They were nice enough to offer a replacement kit and ensured me that the shop guys will only send production kits out from here on. He even went as far to say that the 10 kits they have on hand will all be test fitted before shipping out.

As for the brake lines, he is sending me some metal bands to hold them down.

On top of all of this, he reminded me that their kits have a lifetime warranty and I can contact them with any concerns.

Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will be very interesting to hear what they have to say. Please keep us posted.
I was about to pull the trigger on this kit until today...
I've been running on 30s and was looking forward to doing away with the rub but like some have mentioned a lack of tools... i.e. Press & the poor fit are having me second think this venture. As you pointed out for that kind of expense, one would expect a perfect fit and relatively easy swap. Am I reading too much into how much difficulty you had?
Also, excellent explanation and pics

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also, he mentioned that the stock wheels on the deluxe version are very close to making contact with the rear A-arms so guys like me that will keep their OEM wheels and tires will need to use a 1" spacer in the rear to prevent contact. He said it would only happen when the vehicle was loaded heavy and the rear suspension was compressed.

When Scott offered to send another kit to me, I told him I was happy with my kit from them and didn't want to perform the work to swap it out.

advertisement
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Also, he mentioned that the stock wheels on the deluxe version are very close to making contact with the rear A-arms so guys like me that will keep their OEM wheels and tires will need to use a 1" spacer in the rear to prevent contact. He said it would only happen when the vehicle was loaded heavy and the rear suspension was compressed.

When Scott offered to send another kit to me, I told him I was happy with my kit from them and didn't want to perform the work to swap it out.

Glad to hear, sounds like he was willing to make it right and that is not the quality we should expect to see.

How does the pioneer gearing handle the 30's? Does it lug in low for rock crawling?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think the pioneer has the plenty of power for 30" tires for my style of riding. It will spin the tires on pavement. But if you're into slow crawling over rocks, I think it should be lower. I know what you mean by "lugging". I don't think it will lug up steep hills at 1-3 mph, maybe at 4-5 mph it will. I will need some seat time to really check this out.

If someone makes a gear swap for the subtrans, I would be interested.

We will see how well it does on the group ride as there will be some technical slow spots on those trails. Also, if anyone wants to test drive it while at Royal Blue you are welcome to.

Reactions: pct and PioneerPete
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Will be very interesting to hear what they have to say. Please keep us posted.
I was about to pull the trigger on this kit until today...
I've been running on 30s and was looking forward to doing away with the rub but like some have mentioned a lack of tools... i.e. Press & the poor fit are having me second think this venture. As you pointed out for that kind of expense, one would expect a perfect fit and relatively easy swap. Am I reading too much into how much difficulty you had?
Also, excellent explanation and pics

You're not reading too much into it. No one should have to pay that price and still bang on it to make it fit.

Please see my two posts on their customer service and I think it will ease your mind.

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I think the pioneer has the plenty of power for 30" tires for my style of riding. It will spin the tires on pavement. But if you're into slow crawling over rocks, I think it should be lower. I know what you mean by "lugging". I don't think it will lug up steep hills at 1-3 mph, maybe at 4-5 mph it will. I will need some seat time to really check this out.

If someone makes a gear swap for the subtrans, I would be interested.

We will see how well it does on the group ride as there will be some technical slow spots on those trails. Also, if anyone wants to test drive it while at Royal Blue you are welcome to.

Sounds great! The only gear reduction option I am aware of currently is a portal lift.

I don't see why someone couldn't build a doubler box like they do for a jeep automatic tranny. It would be the perfect setup. High gearing for fast or mud riding and double low for rock or slow technical riding.

Reactions: joeymt33
TOOLOUD

TOOLOUD

Aug 10, 2015
Benton,La

I already did - knew Scott and Joey were gonna talk this morning.

Reactions: joeymt33
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talked to Scott on the phone today and he put my mind at ease, went ahead and ordered front and rear arms. (Fronts only are $1000 by the way) Should be here by Friday.

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
Hey joetmt33 , good write up by the way. Can you see what your left rear a-arm is adjusted at (the side that the sway arm was a pain to put on) . I have mine adjusted almost all the way in on that side and the camber is still pretty far off . The right side is about half way in and is pretty dang close . Thanks

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey joetmt33 , good write up by the way. Can you see what your left rear a-arm is adjusted at (the side that the sway arm was a pain to put on) . I have mine adjusted almost all the way in on that side and the camber is still pretty far off . The right side is about half way in and is pretty dang close . Thanks

I am not at home this week, so I can't take a look at the adjustment for you until Saturday. I did have to play with the adjustments some to get the easy fitment. But then I had to adjust again to get the camber right.

A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
I am not at home this week, so I can't take a look at the adjustment for you until Saturday. I did have to play with the adjustments some to get the easy fitment. But then I had to adjust again to get the camber right.
ok thanks , for some reason I'm having problems getting the left rear camber right I'm almost out of adjustment and it doesnt even look close

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
ok thanks , for some reason I'm having problems getting the left rear camber right I'm almost out of adjustment and it doesnt even look close

Have you taken it for a ride and then recheck the camber?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!