P500 Change out taillight

H

Henry Pancake

Jul 8, 2022
Phoenixville Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking of disconnecting taillight on my 2015 P500 and bugging in an LED light. Only used on our property. Instead of a switch and running new wires. Thanks

20220730 185527

H

Henry Pancake

Jul 8, 2022
Phoenixville Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
Nice looking ride!
Are you talking about backup lights?
If so, read this thread.
The club store has hookup kits available.
Most times, the wire is already there, you just plug in.
Have a good day
Thanks, thinking of a rear light that would be on whenever headlights are turned on. Not only when in reverse.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ok, you will have others chime in with suggestions.
Many ways to do it. Heck, the club store might already have a wire kit for that also. haha
Hey @Hondasxs, you got something that will work for him?
He will probably answer tomorrow.
When you do it, post up pictures and how you did it.
Maybe it will help the next guy.
Have a good day

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks, thinking of a rear light that would be on whenever headlights are turned on. Not only when in reverse.
Why not install the LED light and put a carling switch on the dash and when u turn your headlights on, reach over and turn the LED light on. There fore you can also turn it on independently if need be. Also, it would be wise to hook that light up to a relay.
also, nice rig btw

H

Henry Pancake

Jul 8, 2022
Phoenixville Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Why not install the LED light and put a carling switch on the dash and when u turn your headlights on, reach over and turn the LED light on. There fore you can also turn it on independently if need be. Also, it would be wise to hook that light up to a relay.
also, nice rig btw
Thanks, I was thinking to keep it simple, replace the taillight with a clear LED, so no wiring needed. After past off-road rigs, I prefer to keep non OEM wiring to a minimum. IE, vibration, loose connections, wires rubbing. Keep it simple!

Reactions: crewcabrob
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's certainly something you could do, although most anyone here is going to ask why. So I guess I'm wondering - if you've determined you want to do it this way, why ask? :)

You just want to make sure you've considered whether anyone's ever going to be following you, whether it's ever going to go down the road, and that you'll want to put it back if you sell it.

H

Henry Pancake

Jul 8, 2022
Phoenixville Pa
Ownership

1. 500
It's certainly something you could do, although most anyone here is going to ask why. So I guess I'm wondering - if you've determined you want to do it this way, why ask? :)

You just want to make sure you've considered whether anyone's ever going to be following you, whether it's ever going to go down the road, and that you'll want to put it back if you sell it.
Only used at our camp, no one else around. Just an idea, don't know how many watts the taillight wiring is designed for.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I guess that depends on how much of a light you want to put in there. If it's nothing more than your taillight with a clear lens, you'll be fine.

If you're going to a bigger light with a bigger draw, you'll want to do some calculations on wire gauge and length, at which point you may start considering a relay, which takes you back to square one with wiring.

H

Henry Pancake

Jul 8, 2022
Phoenixville Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I guess that depends on how much of a light you want to put in there. If it's nothing more than your taillight with a clear lens, you'll be fine.

If you're going to a bigger light with a bigger draw, you'll want to do some calculations on wire gauge and length, at which point you may start considering a relay, which takes you back to square one with wiring.
Thanks, My initial post should have read; I'm replacing my taillight with a clear LED, does anyone know, or know how to determine, the wattage the taillight is designed for.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Should be an interesting modification. Doesn't the rear light on the P500 act as a rear running light when the headlights are on and then as a brake light when the brakes are applied?

I'm sure you have already thought about that... so I'll just sit and watch

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If just a rear work light is needed, I installed a dash switch for a LED light mounted to the rear roof using the Honda plug in sub harness for power. Zip tied wire to ROPS. Can tilt it down for cab light or rear facing.
.E8752CE2 4D21 4760 9563 6776D9323E6E

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Should be an interesting modification. Doesn't the rear light on the P500 act as a rear running light when the headlights are on and then as a brake light when the brakes are applied?
You are correct. But the only issue if im understanding correctly? That of he uses the rear tail for constant light, he will have to change the lense as well. Not too sure it will be bright enough to be worth a poop! another reason to just add a light bar up top or 2 cube floods switched and b done with it.
work smarter not harder….

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thinking of disconnecting taillight on my 2015 P500 and bugging in an LED light. Only used on our property. Instead of a switch and running new wires. Thanks

View attachment 361147
I've got the auto back up lights from the store here, If I just need work light for a few minutes I set the park brake and leave it reverse and leave it running. I have a P1.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!