Changed the heim joints in the L&W radius rods, again

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I thought we were talking about making radius rods with heim joints and tubing, not replacing the joints in the stock radius rods when I quoted your post. Why would anyone want to bother replacing the stock bushings with new ones when the radius rods themselves are thin wall garbage and bend when you look at them wrong, never mind real world use.

Edit: Honda didn't invent and probably doesn't even manufacture those bushings. There are a bunch of companies in the rock crawling/Jeep world selling what they call "Flex Joints" that are identical to what's in your picture just on a larger scale for suspension use. They are not manufacturing these themselves and are sourcing them from somewhere, same as Honda. Find that source and you will probably find those exact bushings in the sizes you are looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like so....

Screenshot 20220122 142931 Samsung Internet

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I thought we were talking about making radius rods with heim joints and tubing, not replacing the joints in the stock radius rods when I quoted your post. Why would anyone want to bother replacing the stock bushings with new ones when the radius rods themselves are thin wall garbage and bend when you look at them wrong, never mind real world use.

Edit: Honda didn't invent and probably doesn't even manufacture those bushings. There are a bunch of companies in the Rock crawling/Jeep world selling what they call "Flex Joints" that are identical to what's in your picture just on a larger scale for suspension use. They are not manufacturing these themselves and are sourcing them from somewhere, same as Honda. Find that source and you will probably find those exact bushings in the sizes you are looking for.
Your perception of a SxS is (understandably) totally different so many times you see only the "racer" aspect in things. This is one of those times that there is absolutely no benefit to a racer but many benefits to every one else. And there are a lot of us out here.

Not that I need to explain what I do or why but to answer your question "Why would anyone want to bother replacing the stock bushings with new ones"...
  1. Not everyone is a racer. I imagine that 99.9% of all Talons are not used for racing. The stock parts are just fine for more than 50% of the owners out there. That is a lot of potential owners that can use these joints.
  2. Heim joints are high maintenance and they squeak like hell. Racers don't care, my wife and I do on a casual trail ride. I ripped my Heim Join, noise laden Radius Rods off after a while, just couldn't stand the noise. Put stock uppers back on and built my own lowers using stock ends. Best lower Radius Rods that money can't buy.
  3. The stock upper radius arms are fine for most owners but cost $200 each to replace when the joints go bad. A cheaper alternative would be nice.
  4. Lowers are adequate for casual riders but cost $200 each to replace when the joints go bad. A cheaper alternative would be nice.
  5. X Trailing arms are more than adequate but when the front joint goes bad (like on @PhilCod 's machine) it cost $400+ to buy the entire arm. The joint is the same as the 12mm ones so a cheaper alternative would be VERY beneficial for folks like Phil.
  6. There is a 12mm joint in the rear knuckle on the R. The R knuckle is more than adequate but If it goes bad, you have to replace a $350+ knuckle. A cheaper alternative would be nice.
I have been working on this for a while. It is something I am working on for the masses. I am just trying to find a viable alternative to replacing very expensive parts when a simple joint is all that is needed.

And I am well aware of how Honda and other OEM's procure custom products and I am WAY ahead of you. I found the joint manufacturer, part number, etc. and they have a VERY large minimum order required for each part. I don't need that many units nor do I want to spend the money to buy them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!