Changed the heim joints in the L&W radius rods, again

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Going into fall I do a lot of maintenance for our trips to WV/KY/TN. Greasing the wheel bearings, Changed the front and rear diff fluid, now that I'm at 1,800 miles. I looked over the L&W arms and they were all pretty loose. So I called L&W and ordered another bag of heim joints. $50 delivered so not too bad. But it seems like they only last about 400-500 miles. I even asked the gal at L&W if they had a heavier duty heim joint and she said no, these are the ones we use in all our units. I emailed SuperATV to inquire if their warranty covered the heim joints. It didn't, but I can't blame them. Not sure what to do going forward. I guess I'll just change the heim joints twice a year. I do grease them up considerably with Bel-ray waterproof grease. I also add grease if I see them needing it. Maybe I'm just too hard on them. I'm a young guy, only 53, so my riding style must be too difficult for these. Yea, I'm being a comic, but I am certainly frustrated.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Get RaceCo arms, haven't replaced a heim yet on our racecar. L&W uses junk heims ike almost everyone else.

This. The heims L&W and most other companies use on their arms are to small for what we do with our Talons.

I have to replace all 4 tie rod heims on my racecar every 2 races. I'm using high quality FK JMX series heims and still kill them in short order.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry to hear this, Phil, since I'm also running the rear L&W radius rods. Thanks for the heads up. @Lil_Steve has them also.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Going into fall I do a lot of maintenance for our trips to WV/KY/TN. Greasing the wheel bearings, Changed the front and rear diff fluid, now that I'm at 1,800 miles. I looked over the L&W arms and they were all pretty loose. So I called L&W and ordered another bag of hemi joints. $50 delivered so not too bad. But it seems like they only last about 400-500 miles. I even asked the gal at L&W if they had a heavier duty hemi joint and she said no, these are the ones we use in all our units. I emailed SuperATV to inquire if their warranty covered the hemi joints. It didn't, but I can't blame them. Not sure what to do going forward. I guess I'll just change the hemi joints twice a year. I do grease them up considerably with Bel-ray waterproof grease. I also add grease if I see them needing it. Maybe I'm just too hard on them. I'm a young guy, only 53, so my riding style must be too difficult for these. Yea, I'm being a comic, but I am certainly frustrated.
Unless the joints are sealed and designed to be greased, I would not grease them. Grease attracts dust which will work it's way into the joint and that will prematurely wear out the joints.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I’m going to run these on my tie rods and see if the FK rod ends last longer…….
F3703B21 DDD7 41E7 942E 793429C33A51

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Going into fall I do a lot of maintenance for our trips to WV/KY/TN. Greasing the wheel bearings, Changed the front and rear diff fluid, now that I'm at 1,800 miles. I looked over the L&W arms and they were all pretty loose. So I called L&W and ordered another bag of hemi joints. $50 delivered so not too bad. But it seems like they only last about 400-500 miles. I even asked the gal at L&W if they had a heavier duty hemi joint and she said no, these are the ones we use in all our units. I emailed SuperATV to inquire if their warranty covered the hemi joints. It didn't, but I can't blame them. Not sure what to do going forward. I guess I'll just change the hemi joints twice a year. I do grease them up considerably with Bel-ray waterproof grease. I also add grease if I see them needing it. Maybe I'm just too hard on them. I'm a young guy, only 53, so my riding style must be too difficult for these. Yea, I'm being a comic, but I am certainly frustrated.
Maybe try Heim joints instead of Hemi joints? 😂

Preparation H might help you though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry to hear this, Phil, since I'm also running the rear L&W radius rods. Thanks for the heads up. @Lil_Steve has them also.

So far, so good on my L&W Fab heim joints. I've got over 4K miles on em and last I checked they were still tight. For reference, I never grease or lube them, and drive aggressively more than not. I think the other posters are onto to something about not lubing them, @PhilCod see how long they last without any lubrication, hopefully that's the answer.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I’m going to run these on my tie rods and see if the FK rod ends last longer…….View attachment 297672

I've had good luck with those boots. They are a PITA to put on. Get a needle tip for a grease gun and you can pull the edge of the boot out and fill them full of grease.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m going to run these on my tie rods and see if the FK rod ends last longer…….View attachment 297672

I'm thinking a 5/8 heim is too small to use for steering on go fast machines. My inners and outers are slightly loose after 1 race and a practice day, and too loose for comfort after the 2nd race. We will call it 35-40 laps.

Doubt those boots will help much. The heims on the rack side of my race car are inside the rack boots where there is plenty of grease and no dirt/water and they still get loose as fast as the outer that are exposed to the elements.

I found some high grade 5/8 cromo heims that may hold up better but im reluctant to try them at $98 each! 😮

Aurora PRM series

AB PRMT 8

Last edited:
  • Wow
H

HondaTech

I'm thinking a 5/8 heim is too small to use for steering on go fast machines. My inners and outers are slightly loose after 1 race and a practice day, and too loose for comfort after the 2nd race. We will call it 35-40 laps.

Doubt those boots will help much. The heims on the rack side of my race car are inside the rack boots where there is plenty of grease and no dirt/water and they still get loose as fast as the outer that are exposed to the elements.

I found some high grade 5/8 cromo heims that may hold up better but im reluctant to try them at $98 each! 😮

Aurora PRM series

View attachment 297827

We haven't had any problems with Jamies tie rod heims. We do have issues keeping the spindle stand tight though.

Reactions: Blownzuki
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We haven't had any problems with Jamies tie rod heims. We do have issues keeping the spindle stand tight though.

Does Jamie use 5/8 heims or are they bigger?

I'm sure me running 15 x 8 wheels with zero offset on the front doesn't do those steering heims any favors. And I'm not gonna lie.... I may or may not do some rubbing while I'm racing. 😁

H

HondaTech

Does Jamie use 5/8 heims or are they bigger?

I'm sure me running 15 x 8 wheels with zero offset on the front doesn't do those steering heims any favors. And I'm not gonna lie.... I may or may not do some rubbing while I'm racing. 😁

I couldn't tell you, tbh. They've never failed through 2 sheered knuckles. Even the standoffs havent broken, it just blows the hole out of the upright.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
To keep the studs tight try this:

Green sleeve lock on the stud before inserting it into the taper of the knuckle and red lock tight on the nut holding the stud. I also crank the s*** out of the nut. Factory torque specs be damned!

My ZRP studs haven't loosened once all season using that method.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the input. I'll try not greasing them on the next time around.

I don't see where RaceCo makes the radius rod arms for the TalonX. They are pricey, they should last!

nm6r

nm6r

Jun 7, 2019
Sandia Park, NM
Ownership

1. Talon R
Over 4k hard, fun miles on my L&W radius rods on my 1000R. No issues here. I do all kinds of riding except mud.

Reactions: Blownzuki
208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have the super ATV ones and have probably 1500 or more miles on them. Snow, Sand, mud and dust. Never greased them and they are still tight. When they make noise I spray water on them LOL I ran Heim joints on my jeeps and even thou they squeak and make noise I think only had to replace a few due to "wearing out" and I abused the hell out of them without ever greasing. I think others are on same path. Just don't grease them. Also make sure you don't have some weird binding load on them that is causing the wear out.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
My L&W lowers are getting loose 1700miles. One end is real bad. Uppers seem tight still, guessing its because the lower sees more mud, water and abuse.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
New record! The heim joints in the bottom right arm are loose at 375 miles!! Seriously I think I have a bad wheel issue or a bad right lower arm from L&W. The talon goes in for the fuel pump recall on November 22nd, so I'm going to have the dealership check it out.

• Wow
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!