changing differential gears on the Talon

Lipmedex

Lipmedex

Jul 29, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4
has anyone ventured to change the differential gears in the Talon over to the Pioneer gear set. i am curious as if it can be done. if i remember right the talon has a 44 tooth ring gear set and the pioneer has a 55 tooth ring gear set. it would be great to do a simple swap in the differential instead of changing the transmission gear or buying portals.

H

HondaTech

Highly doubt it would work. The Talon rear final drive is locked all the time so there's just a ring and pinion in the diff.

Whereas the Pioneer 1000 had a lockable rear final drive and the ring/pinion has got to be shaped differently.

Not only that, but the amount of sensors in the drivetrain that read speed would never be happy seeing things its not use to. Not to mention the i-4wd would be unhappy as well.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
has anyone ventured to change the differential gears in the Talon over to the Pioneer gear set. i am curious as if it can be done. if i remember right the talon has a 44 tooth ring gear set and the pioneer has a 55 tooth ring gear set. it would be great to do a simple swap in the differential instead of changing the transmission gear or buying portals.
welcome from Michigan!
congrats on your first post.
I would assume you have a Pioneer? What one?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The panel under his avatar says Talon X4. U millennials and yer cell phones probably can't see it. :p
Thats a Negative, doesn't say on my end. Either way he needs to post pics of his Talon,Pioneer, Donkey or whatever he has 🤣
Im also 12 yrs older than That lazy gen 🥳

88EF0254 99E1 43EE B8E7 894034427C3E

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I am quoting this with out looking so I am probably wrong.
That being said I think the Pioneer rear ring gear and the Talon front ring gear are the same size, but the pinion would be connected differently.
The Talon's rear ring and pinion are larger than the Pioneer.

But I like your thinking!
Some manufacturer is going to make a profit if they make a lower set of gears for the Talon.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am quoting this with out looking so I am probably wrong.
That being said I think the Pioneer rear ring gear and the Talon front ring gear are the same size, but the pinion would be connected differently.
The Talon's rear ring and pinion are larger than the Pioneer.

But I like your thinking!
Some manufacturer is going to make a profit if they make a lower set of gears for the Talon.
What is the diameter of the two ring gears? I believe the Pioneer ring gears are 6.25” front/7.75” rear

Lipmedex

Lipmedex

Jul 29, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Highly doubt it would work. The Talon rear final drive is locked all the time so there's just a ring and pinion in the diff.

Whereas the Pioneer 1000 had a lockable rear final drive and the ring/pinion has got to be shaped differently.

Not only that, but the amount of sensors in the drivetrain that read speed would never be happy seeing things its not use to. Not to mention the i-4wd would be unhappy as well.
dang i guess that's out of the question then. thanks for the reply

advertisement
Lipmedex

Lipmedex

Jul 29, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon X4
welcome from Michigan!
congrats on your first post.
I would assume you have a Pioneer? What one?
no i have a talon 1000x 4. trying to figure out a gearing solution for 33's without using portals

Reactions: Remington
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
no i have a talon 1000x 4. trying to figure out a gearing solution for 33's without using portals
IGR (internal gear reduction) through reduction boss or portals are your only options for gear reduction unfortunately. I'm guessing you ride mud/water primarily?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You have to divide the pinion into the ring gear to get ratio. The pioneer has a limited slip carrier vs spool in the talon, hence the larger ring gear but still pretty much the same ratio. Like @Adam490 said, internal gear reduction or portals.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
☝️☝️☝️☝️THIS☝️☝️☝️☝️

Reactions: JenElio and Smittyp
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe some planetary gear boxs on drive lines wouldn't be cheap, and a lot of stuff figure out

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!